Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dong-A University Has a High Turn Over

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExpatriateJoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Dong-A University Has a High Turn Over Reply with quote

Mad
Be careful teaching at Dong-A University. Every year 33% to 50% of the teachers in the freshman program either quit or are expunged.

Facts to take into consideration.

(1) If you accept their 25-30 year old housing, they will not pay for repairs. That is your responsibility.

(2) The secretary and Professor HXXXX will not explain the university's taxation policy. You will have too much taz taken out of you. If you are unaware of Korean tax and labor policies, the accounting office will take advantage of you.

(3) The freshman program is a real gaggle f@#$%. The majority of teachers do their own thing and don't consult with each other on teaching ideas and methodologies.

(4) You will not get your severance and air-fare paid on time. You will have to wait two weeks after your contract ends. In addition, you will not receive the full amount of your severance pay.

Beware
ExpatriateJoe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Recently, Dong-A University has been underpaying teachers on their severance pay. According to section 34 of the Korean labor standards act, severance pay should be based upon the average salary earned during the last 3 months of employment.

One Dong-A teacher enquired about his rightful severance pay and was informed that he wouldn't be given any extra pay. When he presented the secretary with a copy of section 34 and had a labor counsellor give the secretary a call, the next day he was informed through E-mail that the accounting office made a mistake and that they were sorry.

Now, if the accounting office made a mistake, why is it that other teachers who had overtime in December didn't receive a higher severance payment recently?

Something is a little fishy!
ExpatriateJoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Update #2 Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I have just heard that the freshman English program's teachers are laden down with overtime. Now most people like overtime and money is certainly a good thing, but having overtime forced upon you isn't always rosy.

The recent hiring process was a real gaggle.

(1) A Korean woman (living in Seoul) who had lived most of her life in North America was informed that she was successful in getting a position at Dong-A University only to find out a few weeks before that because she couldn't present a North American passport, she couldn't have the job. So much for giving her enough notice and time to find another position. Blame this on Professor Choi.

(2) An alcoholic female teacher was hired during the winter break to teach a conversation class. Her students complained because she often came to class hung over. At least the 'said' Professor in charge of hiring had the wisdom not to hire her for March.

(3) A middle aged man was informed that he was successful in getting a position but was told two weeks before the new semester that he couldn't teach at Dong-A University because he couldn't present a valid university degree and transcripts. His excuse: "My university lost my degree and transcripts". What a pile of horse dung.

The English Department's hiring process for the 2003-04 contract year gives new meaning to farcical.
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Since you obviously don't teach at Dong-A, I'm wondering what your intense interest is in it, as opposed to somewhere else, such as the place you are working now.
ExpatriateJoe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: I Knew Someone who taught there Reply with quote

Well, some of my friends taught/teach there and from what they tell me, things are beginning to slide down hill.
ExpatriateJoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Update#3 Reply with quote

A few of my friends at Dong-A still haven't been paid the full amount of their severance pay even though it is March 10th.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: