Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking western food in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for sour cream...

If you can get a hold of cream cheese, ideally the blocks of it, not the spreadable.

Put cream cheese in a bowl, add a little bit of boiling water (really only a tablespoon or so at first). Mix until its smooth. You may need to add more water in it as well.

It still isn't sour cream but does make a decent substitute and u can usually find it at the bakeries.

If you also add in a slice of velevta cheese and some taco type seasons it makes a killer cheese dip.
madowlspeaks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lot of posts is as bad as the Koreans who can't live without Kimchi Rolling Eyes
esetters21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madowlspeaks wrote:
This lot of posts is as bad as the Koreans who can't live without Kimchi Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes back at you. If you love your kimchi and rice 24-7 then that is great for you. Nobody said they can't live without anything. It is merely a recipe exchange for when you, god forbid, want to eat something else.
hugekebab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madowlspeaks wrote:

I call bullshit that you never crave or never eat Western food whilst in Korea.
madowlspeaks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugekebab wrote:
madowlspeaks wrote:

Craving something and NEEDING something are different. Like sour cream. Who needs the fat anyway?

I can't stand it when expats come to Korea and bitch about how there is a lack of western food availability, too much rice or that the food is too spicy. It's NOT the west!! It goes the same for immigrants in North America. I mean, how many different varieties of GOYA rice do the Spanish need anyway?

Deal and adjust. Go to the supermarket. Buy a Korean cookbook (oh wow!!! different!!??) and learn something new. Time should be better spent learning and eating the (oh wow!!! different!!??) food rather than seeking out what is familiar.

ex. McDonalds.

Everytime I pass by a Mc Donalds it is always loaded with expats stuffing fries in their faces getting their fat fix on.

Rolling Eyes
prideofidaho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^
I don't like name-calling, but you're a tosser. Who cares what other people want to eat. I, for one, like all kinds of food, and I like to cook...and, I eat k food for lunchee.

Cherry tomato and pesto pasta

Boil pasta (as much as you need)

When pasta is boiled, add:

-cherry tomatoes (whole)
-Pesto (as much as you like)
-grated parmesan

cover pot with a lid for a few moments. This will cook the tomatoes ever so slightly. If you become a ninja and add the ingredients to the cooked pasta ASAP, the tomatoes will be nice and cooked and juicy.

Delicious with a simple salad. I like to make my own dressing. 2 parts olive oil to one part balsamic. Then add whatever you like. My favourites are garlic, seed mustard, salt and pepper. (or...chili flakes, capers, anything you like...)

yummmmmmmmmmm. This was a great idea and I'm pleased to see it's made its way to sticky status.
Xuanzang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madowlspeaks wrote:

ex. McDonalds.

Everytime I pass by a Mc Donalds it is always loaded with expats stuffing fries in their faces getting their fat fix on.

Rolling Eyes

Actually I see the natives doing that and the expats are the ones eating ramyeon and tuna at home
djmarcus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple Turkey Sandwich

Ok, everyone knows how to make one, but maybe they don't know where to find the ingredients.

+ Real slices of turkey: Hyundai Dept Store (Next to Coex) or Jamshil Lotte Deparment store) For about 3,500 you get about 6-8 slices. I think that's plenty for one sandwhich.

+ Bread: I think some really good fresh bread can be found at Hannam Market. I haven't had a chance to taste them, but I've seen them for sale there. I usually go to Paris Baguet and buy the French baguet and ask them to cut it once in the middle, sideways (to add meat in between the slices. You might have to visually show them because everytime I ask someone to cut it, they look at me like I just asked them to get on spaceship and go to jupiter...anyways..next

+ Fresh lettuce: Lotte or Hyundai department store has a section of fresh greens where you can just pick out the leafs that you want. it's usually under 1,000won.

+ Sauce: Hyundai Department store (the one near coex) seems to have the most variety of sauces for all kinds of dishes.

I usually have some soup with this which is also available at one of the deparment stores I mentioned.
djmarcus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madowlspeaks wrote:
hugekebab wrote:
madowlspeaks wrote:

Craving something and NEEDING something are different. Like sour cream. Who needs the fat anyway?

I can't stand it when expats come to Korea and bitch about how there is a lack of western food availability, too much rice or that the food is too spicy. It's NOT the west!! It goes the same for immigrants in North America. I mean, how many different varieties of GOYA rice do the Spanish need anyway?

Deal and adjust. Go to the supermarket. Buy a Korean cookbook (oh wow!!! different!!??) and learn something new. Time should be better spent learning and eating the (oh wow!!! different!!??) food rather than seeking out what is familiar.

ex. McDonalds.

Rolling Eyes

I think the point here is that we want a variety of food. Me and other Americans especially are use to eating a wide variety of foods. Korean food is great, but not all the time. And as far as korean food goes, there are not that many varieties. Me being Korean, having been brought up by korean food, still enjoy korean food. But it's gotta be made well. And I don't want it all the time.

Unfortunately I think most foreigners have not had a home cooked korean meal. So it would be hard to buy a cook book and make something you never tried. Even Ajumas have a hard time making certain meals. That being said, to ask a foreigner to cook korean food, when koreans have difficulty making korean food, seems unfair.

And I wonder why Quiznos, Kraze Burger, Outback, VIPS, TGIF is always packed with Koreans, cause Koreans don't want to eat Korean food all the time either.

"Deal and Adjust" We aren't in prison. We have choices and means to get things. If we want to cook different kinds of food, what's the big deal?

"Spicy Food" I love spicy foods, but some of the food here is off my charts...ouch

I'm all about nutrition too, but heck, I'll eat Mickie D's once in awhile.
madowlspeaks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmarcus wrote:
madowlspeaks wrote:
hugekebab wrote:
madowlspeaks wrote:

ex. McDonalds.

Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately I think most foreigners have not had a home cooked korean meal. So it would be hard to buy a cook book and make something you never tried. Even Ajumas have a hard time making certain meals. That being said, to ask a foreigner to cook korean food, when koreans have difficulty making korean food, seems unfair.

"

The home cooked Korean meals are the same as in the restaurants. Maybe better-but same stuff. The same stuff, mind you, that is found in cookbooks.

I have not seen a thread on Daves where expats ask about Korean food or where people exchange recipes about Korean food or ask
advice about cooking it. If there is one-please post it. If not, I will start one.
madowlspeaks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xuanzang wrote:
madowlspeaks wrote:

ex. McDonalds.

Rolling Eyes

Actually I see the natives doing that and the expats are the ones eating ramyeon and tuna at home

A perfect balance, I say. This way, we can have obesity on a global scale. Smile
djmarcus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madowlspeaks wrote:
djmarcus wrote:
madowlspeaks wrote:
hugekebab wrote:
madowlspeaks wrote:

ex. McDonalds.

Rolling Eyes

"

The home cooked Korean meals are the same as in the restaurants. Maybe better-but same stuff. The same stuff, mind you, that is found in cookbooks.

I have not seen a thread on Daves where expats ask about Korean food or where people exchange recipes about Korean food or ask
advice about cooking it. If there is one-please post it. If not, I will start one.

"The home cooked Korean meals are the same as in the restaurants. "
Haha..cmon, it's not the same. I wish it were so I could get decent meals more often. That's like saying On the border is like real mexican food. And how many foreigners do you know that can cook western style food, just like western style restaurants serve them. Cooking is a skill that needs to be learned, not just from a book, but from dedication and lots of practice.

As far as cooking korean food, I think it's difficult, not to mention costly, to gather all the different kinds of ingredients necessary to make it. And it takes time. I love cooking, but just don't have the time to do it.
esetters21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a trained chef from a Le Cordon Bleu academy in the States. My gf is 100% Korean. Both she and her family enjoy when I cook something that is not Korean. I can and do cook Korean food as well, but why would I limit myself to only that? Your logic makes little sense when it comes to enjoying food and living in Korea MOS. Basically you are saying that as long as you live in Korea, then you should only eat dishes that are indigenous to here. Rolling Eyes
madowlspeaks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esetters21 wrote:
I'm a trained chef from a Le Cordon Bleu academy in the States. My gf is 100% Korean. Both she and her family enjoy when I cook something that is not Korean. I can and do cook Korean food as well, but why would I limit myself to only that? Your logic makes little sense when it comes to enjoying food and living in Korea MOS. Basically you are saying that as long as you live in Korea, then you should only eat dishes that are indigenous to here. Rolling Eyes

I am saying stop whining about the lack of "comfort foods" and break out of your shell

Last edited by madowlspeaks on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
afsjesse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who went to Le Cordon Bleu in Minneapolis/St. Paul. He now works in the Bahamas. Lucky bastard Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 3 of 23

Jump to: