Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi-Fi to computer dubbing tape to digital

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the saint

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Hi-Fi to computer dubbing tape to digital Reply with quote

Searched but couldn't find anything...and it may seem a dimwit question but I might as well ask it anyway...

Right now where I am I have a stereo and a laptop. I have a recording studio on my laptop and I use the red and white stereo audio cables you get to take a line out from my stereo to my line in on my sound card. This way I've been working through old stuff on tapes and converting them to digital to burn to CDs and preserve quality before the tapes die or the universe ends - whichever first.

Anyway, I'm not bringing my stereo to Korea as the voltage is different and it isn't that good anyway. But I want to make sure that I can get hold of a decent quality perhaps second hand stereo with the same line out features (NOT a headphone socket) in Seoul and that it won't cost me the earth.

Can anyone confirm that I'll be able to continue my dubbing in Seoul?
ryleeys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E-Mart in Icheon has some decent systems for around 200,000 won... so I imagine Seoul is gonna be better... there's a Wal-Mart there with everything (including stock girls in cheerleader outfits)
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure why you don't want to use the headphone jack. Technically, it is true that the line-out jacks might output a purer signal without running through another stage of amplification for the headphones, but if you are not running Dolby on your tapes the sound quality is not going to be great to begin with.

When I do this I make two sets of archives-- one is the unprocessed signal, compressed to a 256 kbs mp3, and the other is filtered for noise and crackle in Sound Forge (Cool Edit is good too).

Ken:>
the saint

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Cool Edit 2000, soon to be upgraded to Adobe Audition.

THe tapes I have are not great quality, true, but I was just thinking that, if they are bad anyway, I don't want to make them worse. It may just be the stereo I'm using as I do definitely get a cleaner sound through the line outs. Anyway, looks like I'll have no problems doing what I want in Seoul.
Derrek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be able to find what you need, although you'll have to hunt a bit around town.

Korean electronics are horribly overpriced. I can buy the same Samsung DVD/VCR combo in the USA for less than half the price of here -- and it's made in Korea -- no joke! Some things are comparable, but stereos, cameras, and the like are outlandish.

By the way, in Yongsan, you can buy a cassette deck that fits in your desktop computer's CD-Rom-sized bay so you can make copies that way. Very convenient -- too bad you've got a laptop, as this solution wouldn't work for you.

You'll definately be able to do what you need, anyway.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question:

If the tapes are of music, why not just download the MP3?

Borrow a friends CD and rip it into MP3?

At least you will have a better quality sound from the beginning.
the saint

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for the tip Mr Pink but we are not talking public music here. We're talking stuff like me talking to my two year old brother when I was 12. Songs I have recorded myself years ago with a band I was with etc.

I plan on getting a good desktop system put together when I get there. I think I will go for that tapedeck thing and we can do away with a stereo altogether. I'll get a decent soundcard too.
Derrek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint, if you are in Seoul, look me up. I'll help you find a great deal in Yongsan, ok? I'm a regular there.

Just bought a new graphics card -- actually on my 2nd. I had a Radeon 9600 Pro, which was awesome when it didn't lock up. Funny how the reviews never mention lockups, then after you have the problem and do a google search on something like, "Radeon 9600 Pro locks during games" you get a web pages with like 1000 entries of people having the same problem with no real solution. I took it back and got an older, but still really great, TI 4600. I'm so glad I did. It's not 8x, but my board isn't anyway (not sure 8x matters much yet). It used to be NVIDIAs flagship card a few years ago, and it does better in some games than my new Radeon would when it wasn't locking. Always depends on the game. I love Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Raven 3. Heck, it will play Wolfenstien full-on with everything going at 1600x1200 and look better than the Radeon did. The Radeon played Raven 3 better, but would lock up my computer after a minute of play -- frustrating. The other Radeon cards don't seem to have the problem, but I wasn't going to trust Radeon twice.

Send me a PM when you get here and want to get a system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: