Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discussions about legal issues regarding visas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wylies99

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
wylies99 wrote:
Korean Immigration can't find any of the illegal teachers in Korea. Not one that has been living in South Korea, as a tourist, with no visible means of income for months or years. Not one. Rolling Eyes

Think about THAT before saying that Korean Immigration is doing a "good job."

Nonsense. Everytime they have a "crackdown" they net a good many. Last time they nabbed more than 50. Trouble is that many are on tourist visas and if they start kicking out people on tourist visas, other countries could do the same to their citizens on tourist visas. Plus as they have pointed out they simply don't have the manpower to police thousands of foreigners effectively.

But to say they can't find one is utter B.S. There have been a number of threads on the crackdowns and numbers of teachers detained.

Sarcasm- look it up in the dictionary.
Wink

Korean Immigration knows the identity and location of EVERY illegal foreign teacher in South Korea. So, why are there so many illegal teachers? Why the crackdown on legal teachers when Korean Immigration refuses to do its job and get rid of the illegal ones? That's a question for Korean Immigration to answer.
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylies99 wrote:
Face it- not everyone on this board is a teacher. Many others are comfortable with the way things have been and they profit from it and don't want it to change. That's why there's so much "hostility" towards ATEK, or any other effort to improve things for foreign teachers in Korea.

So we are going back to the fairytale that most everyone who opposes ATEK is a recruiter or a Korean.

Last edited by Milwaukiedave on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
T-J

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buymybook wrote:
"Crimes by foreigners reported to the Prosecutors' Office surged by 265 percent over the past five years since 2003. Drug-related offences by foreigners reached 976, compared with 9,888 for Korean nationals. The crime rate based on the total foreigners here outstrips that of Korean nationals based on the total population by four fold. Under the circumstances, it is inevitable for the Korean government to take firm measures against such a disturbing trend."

This obviously concerns Mr. Lee so I'd guess a very big envelope(s) of Won will be give to the Human Right Commission. This guy is not credible at all. I guess when Anma's(Prostitution houses) are allowed to operate freely and openly even after the so-called "crackdowns," while being only a few buildings down from courthouses(There is a big one at Guii-dong/Eastern District Courthouse, I'd suppose that isn't the only one in S.Korea so close and convenient for Judges/Lawyers/Cops/Ministry of Justice Officials like Lee Bok-nam himself?) then yeah, not many crimes by Koreans are reported.

The guy is so full of it, 265% my rearend. Crimes reported doesn't mean anything, they could so easily claim that without showing the reports but not so easy would be convictions.

WHERE ARE THE CONVICTIONS MR. LEE, BOK-NAM?

Drug related offences? Mr. Lee Bok-nam, why do you drug test E-2 visa holders for drugs that we've NEVER been proven to use in S. Korea? I'd like Mr. Lee, Bok-nam to explain why his/Immigration rules are so stupid?

Careful, you are crossing some legal lines you don't want to cross in Korea.
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheChickenLover wrote:
Bibbitybop wrote:
People can slap ATEK all they want, the fact of the matter is ATEK is doing something. No one else is besides bitching on websites.

Speak for yourself. I would like to point out that the OP's article NEVER mentioned ATEK. The person who responded works for the Ministry of Justice, which is the boss of the Immigration services. Immigration didn't reply to this, a person with authority with the MOJ did.

He stuck to the position in regards to a opinion column regarding Wagner's report. He did NOT mention ATEK or its campaign (that is very important to note). He expressed the position of the MOJ that not only did Wagner get it wrong, he's totally missed the inherent point of immigration laws.

The fact that there are those here still screaming that it's not fair is beyond belief. There could be a real chance that this may be the person who may be dealing with my complaint (or maybe not). Regardless, it is clear that Wagner's report is going to be dismissed by the MOJ because they feel that he missed many relevant points of law as well as his overly biased logic towards a particular position.

Translation: Nothing is going to change because of Wagner's report. If my complaint is held to its position. Then Wagner's and ATEK's days may very well be indeed numbered in the ROK.

Time will tell, but so far it's looking very good for the F-class visa holders.

Chicken

Cool

I'll rephrase: No one is doing anything to make it easier for foreign teachers in Korea except ATEK. People like you don't care about your fellow expats, you are simply fearful that you may have to be screened for crimes or drugs.
TheChickenLover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bibbitybop wrote:
TheChickenLover wrote:
Bibbitybop wrote:
People can slap ATEK all they want, the fact of the matter is ATEK is doing something. No one else is besides bitching on websites.

Speak for yourself. I would like to point out that the OP's article NEVER mentioned ATEK. The person who responded works for the Ministry of Justice, which is the boss of the Immigration services. Immigration didn't reply to this, a person with authority with the MOJ did.

He stuck to the position in regards to a opinion column regarding Wagner's report. He did NOT mention ATEK or its campaign (that is very important to note). He expressed the position of the MOJ that not only did Wagner get it wrong, he's totally missed the inherent point of immigration laws.

The fact that there are those here still screaming that it's not fair is beyond belief. There could be a real chance that this may be the person who may be dealing with my complaint (or maybe not). Regardless, it is clear that Wagner's report is going to be dismissed by the MOJ because they feel that he missed many relevant points of law as well as his overly biased logic towards a particular position.

Translation: Nothing is going to change because of Wagner's report. If my complaint is held to its position. Then Wagner's and ATEK's days may very well be indeed numbered in the ROK.

Chicken

Cool

I'll rephrase: No one is doing anything to make it easier for foreign teachers in Korea except ATEK. People like you don't care about your fellow expats, you are simply fearful that you may have to be screened for crimes or drugs.

You must be either incredibly stupid or very simple minded. I'll try to word it in a way that you can understand ok?

I HAVE BEEN SCREENED FOR DRUGS.

I HAVE BEEN SCREENED FOR CRIMINAL BEHAVIOUR

I HAVE PASSED BOTH WITH FLYING COLOURS.

I ALSO HATE FOOLS WITH SIMPLE MINDS WHO CAN'T SEE MORE THAN TWO SIMPLE STEPS IN FRONT OF THEM (that means you).

Do you understand now? Probably not.

Chicken Rolling Eyes
wylies99

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milwaukiedave wrote:
wylies99 wrote:
Face it- not everyone on this board is a teacher. Many others are comfortable with the way things have been and they profit from it and don't want it to change. That's why there's so much "hostility" towards ATEK, or any other effort to improve things for foreign teachers in Korea.

So we are going back to the fairytale that most everyone who opposes ATEK is a recruiter or a Korean.

It's true that some foreign teachers don't like ATEK, but it's also true that not everyone, on this board, who claims to be a teacher actually is a teacher. Wink
TheChickenLover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buymybook wrote:
"Crimes by foreigners reported to the Prosecutors' Office surged by 265 percent over the past five years since 2003. Drug-related offences by foreigners reached 976, compared with 9,888 for Korean nationals. The crime rate based on the total foreigners here outstrips that of Korean nationals based on the total population by four fold. Under the circumstances, it is inevitable for the Korean government to take firm measures against such a disturbing trend."

This obviously concerns Mr. Lee so I'd guess a very big envelope(s) of Won will be give to the Human Right Commission. This guy is not credible at all. I guess when Anma's(Prostitution houses) are allowed to operate freely and openly even after the so-called "crackdowns," while being only a few buildings down from courthouses(There is a big one at Guii-dong/Eastern District Courthouse, I'd suppose that isn't the only one in S.Korea so close and convenient for Judges/Lawyers/Cops/Ministry of Justice Officials like Lee Bok-nam himself?) then yeah, not many crimes by Koreans are reported.

The guy is so full of it, 265% my rearend. Crimes reported doesn't mean anything, they could so easily claim that without showing the reports but not so easy would be convictions.

Drug related offences? Mr. Lee Bok-nam, why do you drug test E-2 visa holders for drugs that we've NEVER been proven to use in S. Korea? I'd like Mr. Lee, Bok-nam to explain why his/Immigration rules are so stupid?

Please ignore this dribble. It's been written with the logic of someone who mostly likely never went to uni.

Chicken
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheChickenLover wrote:
Nothing is going to change because of Wagner's report. If my complaint is held to its position. Then Wagner's and ATEK's days may very well be indeed numbered in the ROK.

Then maybe it's time someone (who knows, maybe me) started filing complaints with the MoE, and getting THEM to make all teachers get checked. MoJ guy said Koreans are supposed to be checked under the law, and are supposed to not teach anymore if guilty of a sex crime. Obviously, there is a serious enforcement issue here, if true. "Equal Checks for All" is better served at the MoE level than the MoJ level. It should be an MoE policy in the first place.

Those F'ers who are not teachers would not be affected by such a policy, but all teachers would (and should) be.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylies99 wrote:
Korean Immigration knows the identity and location of EVERY illegal foreign teacher in South Korea.

No they don't. They might know their names (all it would take is a quick search on Immigration computers), but not their locations. It's not hard to hide from Immigration. Move to a new apartment and don't tell them where.
polonius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheChickenLover wrote:

Translation: Nothing is going to change because of Wagner's report. If my complaint is held to its position then Wagner's and ATEK's days may very well be indeed numbered in the ROK.

Are you still harping on about this, and with such pride? I said it before, and I will say it again; Wagner and ATEK had no chance at changing the regulations.

Yes, the MOJ implemented the regulations that immigration was told to follow. They are also the ones that eased the restrictions so that you could get an F2 and then eventually your F5. You honestly believed that this little movement would hurt you, or damage your status. I propose that it was you who didn't see two simple steps ahead. I am sure that Bibbitybop is all broken up inside because of your hatred for him. Oh, the dishonor he must feel.

By the way, I fixed what you wrote. You can see it in bold letters. I am sure that this was merely a typo as you were typing so fast in order to get your crucifix out.
polonius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young FRANKenstein wrote:
Then maybe it's time someone (who knows, maybe me) started filing complaints with the MoE, and getting THEM to make all teachers get checked. MoJ guy said Koreans are supposed to be checked under the law, and are supposed to not teach anymore if guilty of a sex crime. Obviously, there is a serious enforcement issue here, if true. "Equal Checks for All" is better served at the MoE level than the MoJ level. It should be an MoE policy in the first place.

Those F'ers who are not teachers would not be affected by such a policy, but all teachers would (and should) be.

I had to submit a Korean criminal check, as did all the Korean teachers at my Hagwon.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

polonius wrote:
as did all the Korean teachers at my Hagwon.

Such a hagwon is the exception.
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

polonius wrote:
Are you still harping on about this, and with such pride? I said it before, and I will say it again; Wagner and ATEK had no chance at changing the regulations.

Yes, the MOJ implemented the regulations that immigration was told to follow. They are also the ones that eased the restrictions so that you could get an F2 and then eventually your F5. You honestly believed that this little movement would hurt you, or damage your status. I propose that it was you who didn't see two simple steps ahead. I am sure that Bibbitybop is all broken up inside because of your hatred for him. Oh, the dishonor he must feel.

I believe you've lost perspective in this conversation. Bibbitybop stated that those on the other side of the issue have done nothing but bitch and complain. Chicken corrected him.

There are several times I've seen people push facts that are clearly not true and then despite being called on it still failed to provide proof.

Are you claiming that ATEK never advocated changing the rules for F series visas?
pocariboy73

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buymybook wrote:

Buymybook,

Why don't you forward your eloquent and well thoughout complaint to Mr. Lee, Bok-nam? I'm sure he'd be interested in hearing your complaint, possibly even meeting you personally for a lovely discussion about
Korean libel laws Laughing

Have fun...
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheChickenLover wrote:
Bibbitybop wrote:
TheChickenLover wrote:
Bibbitybop wrote:

Chicken

Cool

You must be either incredibly stupid or very simple minded. I'll try to word it in a way that you can understand ok?

I HAVE BEEN SCREENED FOR DRUGS.

I HAVE BEEN SCREENED FOR CRIMINAL BEHAVIOUR

I HAVE PASSED BOTH WITH FLYING COLOURS.

I ALSO HATE FOOLS WITH SIMPLE MINDS WHO CAN'T SEE MORE THAN TWO SIMPLE STEPS IN FRONT OF THEM (that means you).

Do you understand now? Probably not.

Chicken Rolling Eyes

So you are on an E-2? And still don't want to stand up for your fellow expats and fellow E-2ers? Sparkling. Disgusting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 3 of 37

Jump to: