Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need a Cell phone urgently~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gyopoboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Need a Cell phone urgently~ Reply with quote

Hey all...

anyone here selling or have a spare cell phone lying around? i'm a recent arrival into the Korean ESL world, and am in dire need of a cell phone.

i'm just a poor esl teacher who's yet to receive his first paycheck, so it'd be appreciated if offers were kept down.

please mail me at: [email protected]

THANKS~!
Derrek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Techno-Mart Reply with quote

Just go to Techno-mart. It's at Gangbyeon on Line 2 (Green Line) in East Seoul. It's right across the street-- tallest buidling around. On one of the upper floors, they have tons and tons of "Card Phones" for as low as 40,000 won or so. Maybe less if you buy a brick.

Just walk down the aisles and they will say, "Card Phone???" as you walk by. There are a few people there who speak some English. Go with a 011 or 016 number.
ajuma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itaewon also has a couple of places for card phones. According to my information (don't know for sure..going there this weekend) the LG store next to the Body Shop has free phones with phone cards, and a shop down the street across from the Hamilton Hotel and past the bridge also has phones. Good luck! I've already got a phone, and after waiting 6 years to get one, I don't know what took me so long! It's great!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Cell phone urgently~ Reply with quote

gyopoboy wrote:
Hey all...

anyone here selling or have a spare cell phone lying around? i'm a recent arrival into the Korean ESL world, and am in dire need of a cell phone.

i'm just a poor esl teacher who's yet to receive his first paycheck, so it'd be appreciated if offers were kept down.

please mail me at: [email protected]

THANKS~!

You can buy used phones in Itaewon behind Burger King (in the alley). They are only about 40,000 and often include 20,000 of credit. They give you a phone number and everything. It only takes about 5 minutes.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can buy prepay phone ANYWHERE (itaewon good and cheap though), nice email address buddy,

Last edited by gang ah jee on Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
paulc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....so its fairly easy to find a sim-only deal in Korea? I'll be taking my old faithfull nokia phone with me when I go to Daegu in a few months.

One question though - my phone is unlocked for all networks in the UK, yet when I tried 2 old Aussie sim cards I had, one was ok but the other couldn't get recognised...... does anyone know if there would be any issues with using a Korean sim in a UK phone? or is it just simple enough to get someone to unblock any problem there?

ok - so strictly speaking that was more than one question.....

Cheers
Paul
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I heard it's a MAJOR hassle changing sims for a Korean phone. We don't even talk about sims here. Don't worry about your Nokia, you can get a much nicer model here.

Someone else will know a lot more than me though
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: my GF Reply with quote

My GF sells cell phones (I see a tongue twister coming on!)

She says "you cannot bring your phone to Korea and expect them to work here. Even changing chips would cost TOO MUCH and take up too much of your time to be worth it".

(paraphrasing)
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulc,
Leave your Nokia in the UK, unless you plan on travelling to other parts of Asia/South-east Asia. The ones that use a sim card (like the Oz versions and many other parts of the world) won't work. It is vitually impossible to do anything with them. I know, I have a Nokia 3310, and believe it or not it is made in Korea. It was a month old when I got here, and its been sitting in my desk drawer ever since. There are some GSM phones in Korea, but rare as hens teeth, and will only work with Korean sims. If you insist on using your own number here, you can bring your own sim and then hire a CDMA phone from one of the phone companies (KTF I think) for about 1,200won a day. The phones are modified to accept international sims for use in Korea, and you can't buy one that I know of. You will still get stuck with international rates for all your calls from your home telco, so consider the cost factor.
A local version of the pre-paid (the cardphone) is available for purchase at good prices. You can pick these up just about anywhere.
To get on a regular phone plan here, you need to be Korean, or have someone who will sign it up and you pay them. Foreigners get cardphones usually for that reason.
Techno Mart and Yongsan area in Seoul have heaps. The immigration building in Uijongbu now has a phone vendor on the 1st floor who advertise "card phones at bargain prices". Asiana airlines used to be there but maybe too many people were getting there return tickets too soon, who knows Smile .

Still crazy, still here.
paulc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to just bring my nokia with me (its only 2 months old), use it in Korea for the duration of my stay, after which I will be moving on to Australia, there I know for a fact that it should work.

So unless I can get a sim card FROM Korea for my phone, I'm stuffed? I didn't intend to bring my existing sim cards from the UK or Australia to use with global roaming enabled, as that would work out way too expensive.....

please could someone tell me more about these "card phones".... or point me in the direction of a website about them?

Thanks for the responses guys.
PaulC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: