Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Konglish Tatoos next?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juggertha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Konglish Tatoos next? Reply with quote

This was a funny story (if true) about a japanese American who got creative with his artistry. Wonder if it'll ever catch on here (you know how much the Koreans like to mess with us Wink )

http://www.soufoaklin.com/tattooartist.html
wylde

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think somebody might get punched (many, many times) if they did that to me
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an Onion-style article to me, but it was quite funny. I wonder if any Western tourists in China have ever bought a t-shirt like that.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Konglish Tatoos next? Reply with quote

That's really funny. I kind of sympathise with the artist's point of view, but rather think he should have refused their business. He still took their money.
dogbert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cthulhu wrote:
Looks like an Onion-style article to me, but it was quite funny. I wonder if any Western tourists in China have ever bought a t-shirt like that.

"Copyright / Disclaimer
Souf Oaklin fo' Life!!! is a satirical newspaper published by Wooo Media.

Souf Oaklin fo' Life!!! uses invented names in all its stories, except in cases when public figures are being satirized. Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental. The content of this web-site�graphics, text and other elements�is � Copyright 2001 by Wooo Media, Inc., and may not be reprinted or retransmitted in whole or in part without the expressed written consent of the publisher.

Souf Oaklin fo' Life!!! is not intended for readers under 18 years of age."
wylde

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a t-shirt when i was a teen with chinese writing on it, it was a gift and a pretty cool looking shirt at that.. wore it for a year before somebody told me it said 'go to war'.
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

It's their fault for getting a flash tattoo. It's almost as bad as having a butterfly or a dolphin.

They deserve that shit if they don't have the common sense to research what it really means.

This article is obviously a joke but funny nonetheless.
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was hillarious. If I was ever going to get a tatoo of words, especially in another language, I would make sure I knew what it actually looked like prior to getting it. Those people deserved it. Laughing

Imagine being vain enough to get "Beautiful Goddess" tattoed, and then finding out it actually said "insert General Tsos's chicken here" Laughing Laughing
jaebea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see many Asian people getting things written in English on their bodies.. I wonder if the same sort of "coolness" that some of the people in the parody article (which can be mapped across to people in real life) find about Asian characters, is reflected in the Asian youth and non-Asian scripts?

That said, I got a pretty good laugh from the article.. :)

jae.
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Korea tatoos are pretty taboo anyway, but I see at least twenty shirts a day with Engurishie abuse on them, if that's any indication.
dodgybarnet

Location: Directly above the centre of the earth. On a kickboard.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proves you have to be carefull!

I've got a Tattoo in Burmese script and I spent over a month in the country researching it. I really liked the script they use and loved the country so it worked well for me.

That said there is still a small chance it says "stupid white guy" but the number of Burmese you meet is so small that it'd never be a problem. Screw up your Chinese translation though and 1.3 billion will laugh at you...
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by little mixed girl on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
osangrl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to a foreign teacher here that said she met a girl with a tatoo that thought it meant "adventure" but it actually said "fat pig"

hahahaha Rolling Eyes

who does that anyway without researching? and why get something in a language you don't know or appreciate.
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppermint wrote:
In Korea tatoos are pretty taboo anyway, but I see at least twenty shirts a day with Engurishie abuse on them, if that's any indication.

Is this still the case? At my gym there are like 10 dudes with massive tattoos. No roses, but just lots of tats. My tattoos don't freak them out either when I hit the showers - could it be I found the elusive tattoo accepting gym?

I asked a teacher at my school about tattooing and she said that it wasn't so bad anymore, just looked down upon by the old people (but what the hell isn't right?).

A lesson - ALWAYS DESIGN YOUR OWN TATTOO OR AT LEAST COME UP WITH AN ORIGINAL IDEA FOR THE ARTIST TO DRAW!!!

I had to get a pretty large one on my arm to cover up some home shit done when I was like 14, take the time in the beginning to do it right, or you may end up like me.
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still basically illegal to get one before a guy does military service here. For some reason it's considered a disfigurement and getting one is a form of draft dodging. The Joong Ang Ilbo ran a story on it last fall. The English version is here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: