Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Automatic Human Jukebox" ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rteacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: "Automatic Human Jukebox" ... Reply with quote

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/Rteacher/ba_grimes4_c_04dec02.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/Rteacher/ba_grimes4_c_04dec02.jpg

... I actually knew him personally when he purposefully came to Miami to demonstrate at the Republican and Democratic Conventions in 1972. I was manager (and resident "el bizzaro" artist) of the well-known hippy boarding house in Coconut Grove known as "the Bird House" and I was inclined to extend free accomodations to serious anti-war demonstrators. I was also eager to creatively participate in the protests around Miami Beach Convention Center, and I did so as a member of the Society for the Advancement of Non-verbal Communication (SANC). I was impressed by the "SANC Manifesto" - written by Grimes (Poznikov) when he was in Amsterdam - because it promoted the idea of non-violent revolution by uniting artists and musicians at the grass roots level (pun not intended) and staging strategic guerilla theatre performances. A key element was the "People's Band" which would widely distribute very cheap instruments (like kazoos and slide-whistles) to demonstrators who would basically play patriotic songs while government troops moved in cracking heads and spraying tear gas...The motto of SANC was "May Music be the Ultimate Weapon of the Revolution," and the manifesto traced the power of sound back to OM (or AUM - or Om-kara, the impersonal sound incarnation of God) Anyway, somehow-or-other (probably because I supplied Grimes and his girl friend, Rachel, with a lot of smoke...) I became the "leader" of the "People's Band" - which also featured such colorful characters as "Henry the Fiddler". While I joined the Krishnas a couple years later and stopped taking drugs or alchohol, Grimes followed his own eccentric path with flashes of brilliance (amidst the paranoia and schizophrenia) and continued to burn the candle at both ends. He was quite a memorable character though, and I wish him well...The following is from the San Francisco Chronicle - a couple days ago.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/Rteacher/ba_poznikov_23_apr73.jpg

In the days before schizophrenia stole his wits, Grimes Poznikov played music on "The Mike Douglas Show" and was lauded by journalist Charles Kuralt as one of the most popular entertainment attractions in San Francisco. It was the 1970s and early 1980s -- and Mr. Poznikov, "The Automatic Human Jukebox," sat at Fisherman's Wharf in a refrigerator box playing songs for cash.

He was a very good musician by all accounts, a skill he always attributed to growing up in a house where everyone played an instrument and his mother was a locally famous singer.

But that was in the old days.

By the late 1980s, Mr. Poznikov's mental illness made him so erratic he could no longer perform, and he began sleeping in the streets. And that's how he died, from alcohol poisoning, on Thursday. A passer-by discovered him lying on a sidewalk near the corner of Caesar Chavez Street and Highway 101. He was 59.

"He was brilliant, but always missing a few cards in his deck," said his sister, Jenny Predpelski of Overland Park, Kan. "From the time he could talk, he could play any instrument from piano to trumpet and drums, and he was a very bright student.

"But somewhere along the way, he decided he wanted to be a hippie. His music career was good with the jukebox act, but after he started to go downhill about 15 years ago, we just sort of lost him."

Mr. Poznikov was born to Bernie and Albert Poznik and raised in Neodesha, Kan. His father was a lawyer and his mother ran an art studio and acted in local theaters, gaining area renown for acting and singing, particularly as the lead in "Mame," said Predpelski.

"It was a great life, but Grimes just didn't want to be in a small town," she said. "Once he left here, he never came back."

One of Mr. Poznikov's first unconventional acts came when he was drafted after high school and showed up for his draft board hearing stoned on acid, relatives recalled. He was rejected for service, and went on to earn a bachelor's degree at Cornell College in Iowa in 1969, majoring in psychology.

Mr. Poznikov taught elementary school in Chicago for three years, but soon became restless as he got more attracted to the counterculture, his sister recalled.

Mr. Poznikov already had been arrested at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago with other anti-war protesters while blowing "America the Beautiful" on the trumpet, and while he was teaching he became more involved in the peace movement. In 1972, he set up a trailer at the Republican National Convention in Miami, calling it the "American Lobotomy Machine." He and other peace demonstrators sat in it for hours, pretending to be brainwashed into being "good Americans."

That same year, he abandoned the teaching career, tacked the "ov" of his Russian ancestors onto the end of his name, and moved out to San Francisco to try his hand at professional music. Being a self-styled hippie, the street scene drew him first.

"He'd got the idea for the Automatic Human Jukebox act in Amsterdam, watching street performers," said his sister. "So he decided to try that out West."

It was a simple, but brilliantly successful act.

Mr. Poznikov would sit at Fisherman's Wharf near the cable car turnaround in a painted refrigerator box. On one side of the box were dozens of little tabs cut into the cardboard, each with a song title written on it. On the other side of the box was a slot for dropping in money, and on the front of the box was a lid operated by a pulley from the inside.

Tourists would push in a song tab, drop in money, and the lid flipped open to reveal Mr. Poznikov in a fedora hat and tie. He'd reel off the song on trumpet, kazoo or any of a half-dozen other instruments he kept in the box.

The quality of the song depended on how much cash was dropped in the slot. A reporter selected "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" one hot summer day in 1976, slid in a dime, and got one quick kazoo blast. The reporter then tossed in $2, and when the performance lid flipped open Mr. Poznikov blew a soulful, pitch-perfect version of the same song on trumpet, fetching cheers from the crowd of 40 people gathered around.

The act was so popular he was booked on national TV shows and featured in news articles and travel guides all over the country. At least two Web sites are devoted to the memory of his act.

"He is a true musical genius, and like all creative giants, he always lived a few notes ahead of the masses," Bill Self wrote on one of the sites, saying he was a childhood friend of Mr. Poznikov's in Kansas and kept in occasional touch through the years.

In 1987, after being ticketed by the police for playing his trumpet 13 decibels above the legal sound limit, Mr. Poznikov quit his act, moved out of his rented apartment and began sleeping in the streets. He stayed with friends from time to time -- particularly his off-and-on girlfriend, Susan "Harmony" Tanner -- but the freedom of the outdoors always pulled him back to the sidewalk, he told a reporter last December.

"I never got a chance to do the stuff I wanted to for him because he made himself hard to find," said Niels Tangherlini, a San Francisco paramedic captain who counsels homeless people in the street. "It amazes me how people who are so sick manage to elude us. It was very sad for him to go that way."

Mr. Poznikov is survived by his sister; Tanner; and two brothers, Greg Poznik of Madison, Wis., and Sam Silver of Aurora, Colo.

No memorials are planned.
Chronicle reporter Ilene Lelchuk contributed to this report.
[/img][img][/img][img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/Rteacher/ba_grimes4_c_04dec02.jpg
[/img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/Rteacher/ba_grimes4_c_04dec02.jpg[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

Last edited by Rteacher on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were talking about the dude from the Police Academy series.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen most of the Police Academy movies, I think, but I can hardly remember them - so I don't know who you're referring to... Cops weren't considered that funny back in the late 60's early 70's (unless they were in Cheech and Chong movies - which I also can hardly remember...)
I'm gonna try to post photos of Grimes again (except for the most recent one where he looks 99% dead, collapsed in a heap of trash ...)
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisherman Wharf's famed "Human Jukebox" at a Port Commission hearing (I'm not sure when...)
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In late 2003, Grimes Poznikov was living in a homeless encampment off Evans Street. He drank himself to death last week. Chronicle photo, 2003, by Brant Ward

Rteacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this photo, probably from about twenty-five years ago, Grimes looks similar to what I remember him looking like when I knew him in Miami...

ddeubel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher...

Thanks for posting this. We are a sadder place without him and a better place because of him..... We need to be reminded not only of America the beautiful but also the America that Grimes knew. For better and worse.

Thanks.

DD
ddeubel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher...

Thanks for posting this. We are a sadder place without him and a better place because of him..... We need to be reminded not only of America the beautiful but also the America that Grimes knew. For better and worse.

Thanks.

DD
Imbroglio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to dedicate this song:

Quote:

Get Together

Love is but a song to sing
Fear's the way we die
You can make the mountains ring
Or make the angels cry
Though the bird is on the wing
And you may not know why

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Some may come and some may go
We shall surely pass
When the one that left us here
Returns for us at last
We are but a moment's sunlight
Fading in the grass

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

If you hear the song I sing
You will understand (listen!)
You hold the key to love and fear
All in your trembling hand
Just one key unlocks them both
It's there at you command

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Right now ... Right now....

Rteacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good photo of the famous "Automatic Human Jukebox" ...
http://www.samueljohnson.com/blog/parchives/060116.html

He somehow got a Wikipedia article ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_Poznikov

San Francisco Chronicle article "Broken Jukebox" on his sad plight - literally in the dumps ...
http://www.neodygrads.com/pages/poznikov/Jukebox.html
Rteacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently came upon this amazing YouTube clip ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4QSTa3y1H0
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread really brings back memories ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: