Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming back to Korea from Taiwan - Advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regme

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Coming back to Korea from Taiwan - Advice Reply with quote

I'm looking for any advice you can give me about everything finding a job, getting accomodation, etc.
I'm currently in Taiwan, I've been in Korea twice and used a recruiter on those occasions, shame on me! They worked out ok.

This time I'm just gonna fly in using a plane of course? Shocked I'm not god till I'm in the classroom. haha!
When I fly to Korea do I need a return ticket or should I just buy a ticket taking me over to Fwkuoka/Fukuoka ( this is the place in Japan so why did they beep it) so they see that I'm leaving the land of the morning dong.

I prefer Pusan.

Thanks.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I was lucky, but I didn't have a return ticket and got no hassles when I came to Korea. But I have a recent history of coming and going...so...

I think any sort of exit statment should do ya.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: I did Reply with quote

2 weeks ago, I came from Taiwan to Korea.

They never asked me if I had a ticket out or not (I do, but I never showed them).

Just come.
shawner88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey whats it like over there in Taiwan compared to here? Did you have a good work experience? How about the ladies there....?
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Shawner has some very valid questions that were never addressed here..
itchy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0-0-

Last edited by itchy on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
CivicGSR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy, that's quite the experience in Taiwan.
So what made you decide to leave Taiwan (assuming you're not there any longer)?
Is it true that you don't need a degree/diploma in order to get a teaching position in Taiwan? I know that a degree is a legal requirement for S.K.
I'm kind of in b/w of going to Taiwan or S.K. for a position.

edit: does anyone know what happened to my signature?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itchy wrote:
Ever heard of a betel nut girl? You will. They wear skirts that are like belts only thinner, and little bikini tops. They are to die for. You haven't lived until you've been served betel nuts by one of them. They are particularly hot in Taichung.

I am SO there!! Smile ahh.. I like that image..
itchy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opopop

Last edited by itchy on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea or Taiwan? Hands down, Taiwan.
jaydahn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Taiwan or Korea? Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Taiwan hands down? I don't know about that..I am Hoping to come up with something in Korea quick! I have had More than enough of the situation here. In Taiwan they Don't pay your airfare..don't pay for your apt...you get 2 weeks severance pay..there is a high cost of living...and unless you are in Taipai..well then.. days and days of rain..love it or leave it?
itchy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Taiwan or Korea? Reply with quote

[][

Last edited by itchy on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: thoughts on Taiwan / Korea Reply with quote

I found by and large the money situation was better in Korea than Taiwan.

There are exceptions, but in Taiwan I had to work Saturdays.

Also, most people do not get airfare or accomodation paid for in Taiwan.

My cell phone was more expensive, transportation was more expensive, and from what I saw from other guys, pleasing girls was more expensive.

Taiwan is a bit more modern in some ways, but in other ways not. Not nearly as many stares in Taiwan than Korea.

And people actually apologized to one another if they bumped into one another.

The Taiwanese and Chinese languages are harder to learn than Korean.

Someone asked about the females there... Rolling Eyes ok...

Sexual relationships seem to start a bit earlier in Taiwan than Korea (I had more than a few high school girls crooning over me), but older Taiwanese girls (26+) have the same pressure as Korean girls do as far as getting married is concerned.

You can't make a sweeping statement about girls from any particular country. "all girls from Timbuktu are rich, hot, and easy".

Women are women everywhere you go. Some are B's, some are nice...some use you for English...some are looking for a husband.

Anyway, back to the important stuff...

I found the cost of living cheaper in Korea eating native food. Western food and goods I found are cheaper in Taiwan than Korea (Korea has a racist import tax that pisses me off).

Korea is cleaner than Taiwan. Taiwan has more litter and pollution than Korea.

Personally, if you add it all up, I prefer Korea.
paul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: tripping to Taiwan Reply with quote

Well so far the info on Taiwan has been very good. I'd like to get more technical information on schools and pay. I have to do a visa run soon and maybe I will go to Taiwan and look around if I have some contacts. My visa is only good for six months, so between now and then I'd like to set up something solid with a recruiter for at least a few job interviews. So can anyone give me the name of a good web site for teaching ESL in Taiwan?
Just as a sidenote, I read in one of the local papers here in Seoul that Taiwan was going to start a major push to hire 8,000 ESL teachers by the end of 2004. Anyone else hear that Question
Big_Bird

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Thai Airways refused to let me board my flight Reply with quote

Thai Airways refused to let me board my flight from Bangkok because I had a tourist visa and did not have an onward ticket out of Korea.

Eventually, after much protestation, I was allowed on another flight when the supervisor made me sign something that waived their responsibility. Before this the supervisor also wanted assurance that I could pay for a ticket out of Korea if once I reached Seoul, immigration gave me hassles.

Fortunately immigration never bothered to ask me for proof of a ticket out of Korea.

It's best to make sure you have a ticket out of Korea. It doesn't need to be a return ticket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: