Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Students get skin disease at Boryeong mud fest.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the stats, 83,000 of the 2.3 million who attended last year were foreigners. That's an overwhelming Korean majority, though you wouldn't think so if you just browsed through the pics in the papers and in promotional materials.

There are other mud festivals in Korea, but they don't carry the same image as a drunken frat party. They also don't attract foreigners. Coincidence?

I get that it can be a fun time, and a chance to get dirty and let loose. But I really wish they wouldn't play it up as a chance to watch foreigners get wacky. The festival predates the massive intake of native speaker English teachers, yet you get the impression that Korea simply just imported the culture of spring break.
mr_zoot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came back from the first weekend of mudfest 2009 and I got the skin rash. I am white American with somewhat sensitive skin. My friend on the same trip (we did similar things and took the same mud baths) who is also American (Philipino descent) also got the same rash. The rash looks pretty similar to those pics posted earlier, only on my white skin they look more red. My friend and I both got these primarily on the lower legs.

The doctor says it is an allergic reaction to something in either the mud, the water, or maybe even a bug bite. It is not dangerous and should go away within a week.

The first night I had it though, it was seriously the itchiest thing I have ever experienced. It was maddening. I couldn't sleep that night. Now that I have medicine, it does not itch anymore.

In conclusion, the rash is real. Don't quite know exactly what caused it (one of the hundred odd mud baths, the dirty beach water or even bug bites) but you can get it if you go. However, Mudfest was so much fun I probably would have gone anyway, even if I knew it would happen again!
MMagidson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
For what it's worth somebody commented on my site that they got a rash at the festival.
Quote:
My friend and I have red bite like bumps all over our feet and legs.. At first I thought this was just bites but now i am sure it's the skin rash.. Anyways... I just wanted to say that we knew about the risks before we ever went to mud fest... other than the rain and the rash we had a great time.. FYI.. I won't be going next year.. this rash SUCKS!

Not sure if they're being serious or what, but I just thought I'd share what they wrote. It could be any number of things, but they should probably get it checked out.

Same here, they do look like bites...I got some redness as well but nothing itches. I'm not all that concerned to get it looked at though
detourne_me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthews_world wrote:
Taean oil-spill tainted mud!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Korea_oil_spill

Look on the map how close that is to Daecheon Beach.

It did get to Daecheon beach. I remember going there.

I'll never go to mud fest, but i really enjoy going to Daecheon at other parts of the year. usually you can rent ATV's to go up and down the coast, and the restaurants are pretty good. just get a bunch of stuff at the fish market, bring it to a restaurant and they'll clean it and cut it up for you!
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of my buds have been talking about getting a rash this year too.
Smee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard from a few people who got a rash as well, but nothing conclusive to show what exactly it is or where exactly it came from.

I wonder if anything like this has happened in years past. I mean, if people going to the festival came back with rashes. Now, after some people heard about this news they chalk it up to skin disease, trying to establish a pattern, but who knows, maybe in other years they just figured it was mosquitos, or sunburn, or just an isolated incident.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: