Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airfare switcharoo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bits

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Airfare switcharoo Reply with quote

Hello,

I just accepted a position with a company and now they are saying they would like for me to purchase the airfare, this makes me apprehensive. They are saying that it is twice as expensive in Korea as it is here. Is this true? Is it possible to buy the ticket online and have it sent to me in the states?

-Many Thanks
Squaffy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not accept a job from abroad where they do not send you the airline ticket paid for. Phone them and ask for them to send you your ticket.

If that's not the case, you're better off making your own way there and finding the job of your choice on a tourist visa.

I had to haggle for 3 months over my contract and visa and paid flight - pls don't just accept the first thing you come across - phone them and suss them out - and above all - ask to spk to foreign teachers there if you can.

Have you phoned them?
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

Yes, airfare is more expensive in Korea than from outside.

That is why my recruiter does it with her credit card, then bills the school after.

I always get a round-trip ticket also.

I got the best recruiter on Earth. I have used her twice now, and would never hesitate to use her again.

She gets me work where I want, when I want, and is truly awesome.
kingpin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Wall -

Would you be willing to give me the name of that recruiter? It's job-hunting time again and I'd be much obliged.

Thanks.
jamespulis3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Dont pay Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen to me and it said in the contract that they, the school, would pay for the ticket. I said "Sorry for the miscommunication . . . just cancel my visa because I will not be coming to Korea." Then they said they they would pay.

Is it possible to buy the ticket online and have it sent to me in the states?
I made the resevation myself by phone and gave the school the reservation number and they paid for the ticket. I picked the ticket up at the Korean Air office in Chicago. No problems. The school has turned out to be ok . . . in Korea if you are willing to be taken advantage of they are more then willing to do it for you.

They are saying that it is twice as expensive in Korea as it is here. Is this true? Yes, it is more expensive for them, but that is their problem, not yours.

There is no reason why you should pay for the ticket out of your own pocket. You are in demand.
Seatangle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also asked to arrange my own airfare from the states. At first they wanted me to pay up front, but I explained how this wouldn't be possible and yada yada yada, they finally relented.

How it finally worked out was I made the arrangements with a local travel agent and then had my director call the agent with her credit card number. Suggest a similar arrangement and see what they say. If they still insist on having you pay for the ticket, that should send up a big 'ol red flag for you. Take it as a sign of things to come.

Rest assured there are enough employers who will pay your fare that you don't have to feel obligated to go with one who won't.

(By the way, why aretickets cheaper from outside Korea? I don't get it.)
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend in the air ticket business in Oz, and he can't get a cheaper flight for me than what is available in Korea. When I came over a few years ago I paid my own way and was reimbursed for the incoming flight within days. I also had a holiday back in Oz, and paid my for own return ticket when I returned to Korea. Had no hassles so far, and you have the independence of going when you want (don't give up your return ticket to anyone), not when they want you to.
Many of the schools are genuine, but make sure you have an agreement to be reimbursed within the six months for the inbound flight. You hold the ace if you get your own ticket, not a shonky school, should you be unlucky. So from experience I would have to support "the pay your own airfare" idea.

Still crazy, still here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: