Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

List of "No Foreigners Allowed" Bars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storysinger81

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterious700 wrote:
As for Daegu, I heard it's a pretty conservative place.

It is. The social conservatism aspect kind of sucks, but political conservatism favors Americans. Lots of bases in Daegu for its size.
mcviking

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxy club in Seomyeon in Busan. It happened when I first got here. The fat bouncer said I was too drunk and the girls complained, even though I hadn't started drinking yet or went into the door!!! Completely sober I went back three weeks later and the same [Mod Edit] bouncer said I was not allowed in to the club ever. Haven't been there since.
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shinramyun wrote:
cj1976 wrote:
I've said it before and I'm going to say it again: Developed Country? My hairy arse.

You, sir, are a moron.

Have a nice life.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ooh that told me! Maybe I shouldn't have said 'developed'. I should have said decent and civilized. I've been here almost 4 years now and the level of xenophobia and outright racism has not changed at all. In fact, it seems that the more foreigners that come here, the worse it gets.
wesharris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a problem everywhere mate.
In the USA, Canada , UK, Sweden, most of the EU for that matter, Australia.
Name the country, there is always an element that doesn't like a particular group of people.
_+_+
Wes
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that happens in the UK, then there is usually some form of recourse. The UK has made massive steps to eradicate racially or nationality based discrimination. Korea does not have anything like that as far as I can tell.
wesharris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
If that happens in the UK, then there is usually some form of recourse. The UK has made massive steps to eradicate racially or nationality based discrimination. Korea does not have anything like that as far as I can tell.

In the UK reverse discrimination seems to be more par the course. From what I read from UK news sources. Heck, you can't even properly defend yourself there if you're attacked.
_+_
Wes
storysinger81

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, this issue was recently in the news again:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2009/08/113_50879.html

http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/news/news_newissue_detail.htm?No=1337

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2009/09/162_50992.html
komerican

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesharris wrote:
It's a problem everywhere mate.
In the USA, Canada , UK, Sweden, most of the EU for that matter, Australia.
Name the country, there is always an element that doesn't like a particular group of people.
_+_+
Wes

I think though that the problem here in Korea is made worse in that it seems that a lot of Western men have serious problems with Western women. Read the threads here and you see that there's a lot of hate on and contempt for Western women by the Western men.

This is not normal for other ethnic groups in other countries. Westerners would be happier probably if they got along with each other but it seems as though a lot of them can't stand being around each other. jmho.
storysinger81

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

komerican wrote:

I think though that the problem here in Korea is made worse in that it seems that a lot of Western men have serious problems with Western women. Read the threads here and you see that there's a lot of hate on and contempt for Western women by the Western men.

This is not normal for other ethnic groups in other countries. Westerners would be happier probably if they got along with each other but it seems as though a lot of them can't stand being around each other. jmho.

komerican,

Please explain to me how on earth western males' in Korea (or shall we say "on Dave's") misogyny makes racism perpetuated by Korean store/bar/club owners better or worse. I am not following your logic at all.
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storysinger81 wrote:
Actually, this issue was recently in the news again:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2009/08/113_50879.html

http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/news/news_newissue_detail.htm?No=1337

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2009/09/162_50992.html

I'd like to see some real legal changes concerning this, but I have little faith in Korea. Too corrupt, incompetent and stubborn to change.
komerican

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expat community in Korea is abnormal in that there's no or little in the way of community. Most of the Western men are obsessed with meeting Korean women and have no interest in meeting women with a background similar to their own. So I'd call this an abnormal expat group. The result is it affects how they interact with the host community which begins to view them with some contempt. I mean a male English teacher is no longer viewed as an English teacher but a guy who has traveled thousands of miles just to talk to a slim Korean woman. It's not racism it's just Koreans not willing to deal with the disfunctional society that is the expat community.

storysinger81 wrote:
komerican wrote:

komerican,

Please explain to me how on earth western males' in Korea (or shall we say "on Dave's") misogyny makes racism perpetuated by Korean store/bar/club owners better or worse. I am not following your logic at all.
thurst

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storysinger81 wrote:
komerican wrote:

komerican,

yeah...i too fail to see the logical thought behind that statement.

that said, aren't GIs technically not supposed to be in hongdae? i'm pretty sure that's the case and justify *some* of the discrimination. i know on my first weekend in seoul i was with my friend in the air force and i didn't have my ARC or passport and the guy let us slide at NB2 and we were only able to get into tinpan bcuz we met up with a korean that knew the bouncers, but anytime i've shown my ARC as ID i've been let in with no problem.
furtakk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: List of "No Foreigners Allowed" Bars Reply with quote

Ed Provencher wrote:
In Daegu near Jongno Station is a bar called "Hongdae Ipgu" or something similar. It looks like the entrance to a subway station with the same name in Seoul.

I went there last Saturday night with a female Korean friend and we were told that I, a foreigner, was not allowed in.

I certainly don't like being told I'm not welcome to come into a bar with a friend for drinks. So this is a thread for sharing the names of bars that do not let foreigners in that way we don't have to be asked to leave. I have no problem spending my money at foreigner friendly bars.

was this the place that looks like an actual bus or whatever? if so, i've been there before without issue.

only turned away once at a moklee place, but to their credit i had been there a week before with a huge group of foreigners and we were quite loud.
definitely maybe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know people are going to jump on komerican because he's generally postured against a lot of "our" ranting and raving, but i think there is a lot of truth in what he just wrote. it may not be the whole answer to the problem being addressed in this thread, but there is a strong chance that what he's said colors the view of foreigners here at times.

our community, particularly in seoul, is fragmented and even mercenary. throw in obvious disdain between the sexes, which is prevalent on this board and in countless conversations i've had over the years, and it becomes even more volatile. foreign men calling foreign women fat and ugly to koreans, foreign women calling foreign men dorks and losers who "could never get a girl at home", and god knows what else. we are literally feeding ammunition to a society fed up with our presence.

i'm not willing to concede that it is entirely "our" faults, but we do need to shoulder some of the blame.

komerican wrote:
The expat community in Korea is abnormal in that there's no or little in the way of community. Most of the Western men are obsessed with meeting Korean women and have no interest in meeting women with a background similar to their own. So I'd call this an abnormal expat group. The result is it affects how they interact with the host community which begins to view them with some contempt. I mean a male English teacher is no longer viewed as an English teacher but a guy who has traveled thousands of miles just to talk to a slim Korean woman. It's not racism it's just Koreans not willing to deal with the disfunctional society that is the expat community.

storysinger81 wrote:
komerican wrote:

komerican,

storysinger81

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely maybe wrote:
i know people are going to jump on komerican because he's generally postured against a lot of "our" ranting and raving, but i think there is a lot of truth in what he just wrote. it may not be the whole answer to the problem being addressed in this thread, but there is a strong chance that what he's said colors the view of foreigners here at times.

our community, particularly in seoul, is fragmented and even mercenary. throw in obvious disdain between the sexes, which is prevalent on this board and in countless conversations i've had over the years, and it becomes even more volatile. foreign men calling foreign women fat and ugly to koreans, foreign women calling foreign men dorks and losers who "could never get a girl at home", and god knows what else. we are literally feeding ammunition to a society fed up with our presence.

i'm not willing to concede that it is entirely "our" faults, but we do need to shoulder some of the blame.

I still fail to see the connection between a gender-hostile expat community (which, as I don't live in Seoul, I must say I've only experienced in the smallest quantities, and mostly on Dave's) and Korean bar/club owners banning foreign patrons. So guys and girls talk shit about each other to bartenders--how does that contribute to segregation?

I see the connection between perceived greater rowdy behavior from foreigners and the bar/club owners' reactions (which is what should be addressed--"foreigners" are not the problem, drunk, rowdy a$$holes are the problem; case in point: my boyfriend quit his bartending job at a foreign-frequented bar when he was punched in the face splitting up a fight--both fighters were Korean men, fighting over the use of proper speech levels between the junior and senior).

How does gender stereotyping make us greater targets for racial injustice in Korea?

I'm not trying to "come down on you" komerican, as definitely maybe implied; I am genuinely curious. There are some steps in your rationalizing process that you have not sufficiently explained.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: