Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad wreck near Jungro 5-ga today
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redaxe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forward Observer wrote:
co-worker told me about one a few months ago. It was in June I think...

Bus comes over the hill somewhere in central Seoul. A taxi was making an illegal u-turn and gets broadsided by the bus coming over the hill - taxi driver escapes with minor scratches, but the salary man in the back seat was crushed to death. Driver makes no attempt to help his passenger, but strolls over to the sidewalk, cursing while pulling himself out a smoke and squats on the sidewalk smoking. Meanwhile the guy in the back seat is take his last few breaths alone. Then the passenger starts convulsing and dies. My buddy watched the whole thing because traffic was stopped, and he had a ringside view from his car.

Jesus Christ... morbid enough, are we?
TexasChicken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Motorcycle Reply with quote

Not really a wreck but stepping out of Eung-Am station last week, I crossed the street to a green pedestrian light only to get clipped by a daelim 125 going full speed through a red light. Dislocated my arm, bloodied my knee from hitting the concrete hard. Driver wobbled but didnt stop. Some adjumma came over started shaking her head yelling AIIIGOOOO then started telling me off in Korean about how I should be more careful. Regardless ive learned my lesson, im not in Ilsan anymore, now im semi paranoid and super cautious when crossing streets on foot. Anyways shoulders sore, Knee has scabbed over, and im a bit wiser. Just my advice BE CAREFUL, because nobody except yourself cares about your own safety.

P.S. I managed to teach 4 classes that day before going home Wink Thats English teaching the Texan Style.
TexasChicken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Best Story Reply with quote

Damn I forgot to tell my best story! Ok this is about a year ago in Ilsan I was walking to church, and as I crossed the street this Wrecker drives by with a Sonata on the back light damage to the rear end. He proceeds to drive up this very very steep hill, when I realize he didnt actually secure the tow chains to the car, so halfway up the hill the Sonata comes free of the Wrecker and begins rolling down hill into a busy intersection. The sonata rolling maybe 20-30 km T-Bones a taxi crushing the passenger. Firefighters had to cut the guy out of the car but ultimately he lived, with some serious cuts to his leg.
nathanrutledge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 year old kid decided it would be a good idea to dart in front of me on my motorcycle and I took that fool down! Stop the bike, run over to him, he's bleeding a bit, really dazed, and just laying there. Busy intersection, light changes, all the cars just start driving around us, inches to spare.

Finally, someone with enough sense pulls up in front of us, stops the car to block the traffic, gets out and calls the police/ambulance.

Got the kid up and he's alright, but had it been a little different, I could have been sitting there with a dead kid as people honk at us for blocking the road. Scary stuff man.
Xuanzang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:

There is no "right of way" here. That is determined by a mix of who is driving faster, who looks like they're willing to stop, and who thinks they have the more expensive car (which makes them feel confucistly-empowered to be first).

I really, really piss off some ajosshis driving in their Equus or Chairman cars when I don't let them take advantage of me on the road (in my Matiz). And don't get me started on Taxis.

Or keep sticking your nose into traffic and play chicken with incoming traffic. Ajummas are good at that one.
neil537

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a couple of months after I arrived me and a mate were coming out of Seonhak station in Incheon we heard a big bang and a screech of tyres. We waited a few seconds in case there was more to come and then went up to see what had happended. I had presumed because of the noise it was a couple of cars involved but actually what had happened was some drunk guy had been trying to cross the road (a very busy 8-lane street) and a taxi had hit him.

As we saw once the taxi had pulled over to the side, the guy's head had impacted right on the corner of the window and the roof (it actually dented the mental), maybe if he'd just hit the window he might have lived but he had no chance. Young guy as well.

As with previous posters, the first vehicles to arrive were the tow trucks, then the police and finally the ambulance. Once the ambulance crew realised he was dead they drove off and left him and then another van (presumably coroner) showed up and put him in the back.

The traffic never stopped the whole time, and at least 2 cars going in the opposite direction had minor bumps as they looked to see what was going on.

The image of the guy lying in the middle of the road is one that will remain with me, and the response of the emergency services makes me pray I never get into an accident in Korea. Scary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: