Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daejeon bars...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VFRinterceptor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Daejeon bars... Reply with quote

Been in Daejeon for the past 8 months and it's ok, but the whole Timeworld area boils down to

Lucky Strike
pretty small, good place to go if you want to sit someplace quiet and talk. The music is not too loud and not too soft. I've seen roaches before. You can consider this place a bit 'dingy'.
staff: C
I would have given it a B, but lately the female bartender there seems a bit edgy. There's a couple other guys that work there too, but my experiences with them have been bland, at best.

Sponge Bar
Large size can accommodate a big party if you are planning any kind of bash. It's on the 2nd floor, so looking out the window, you get a better view than most other upstairs bars since it's also on a corner.
staff: D
Every guy I know has been cockblocked by the male staff there. One of my buddies is a korean speaking foreigner and overheard what the bartender said to one of the girls, he was pissed the rest of the night after that. My advice, if you want to pickup girls there, get them the *beep* away from the bartenders and into a booth if you want any chance. Drink prices are average.

Crying Nut
Right above Cocoon (aka, the gas chamber), western style bar, average prices, not a bad setup. Bar, some tables, a booth, decent music.
staff: D
Again, the cockblock issue with the males behind the bar.

Kokomo
high ceilings, good music, large bar, nice modern decor. Drink prices are high.
staff: C
They used to have a cool guy that worked there named Muse. He left and was replaced by the mother of all cockblocks. Wears glasses, you don't need to speak korean to know when he's cockblocking you. His constant dirty looks will convey his message clearly. Everyone else that works there is ok.

Cocoon/Robot

Cocoon is a gas chamber. Everyone in their smokes, plus the smoke machine, plus you are underground with weak ventilation. I've woken up after a night of going there and had a raspy voice...ugh. Robot is the newer venue. Nice place, everything is clean and new, decent setup. Cocoon is definitely more packed than Robot, a lot of kids go there.
Staff: ?/?
I don't have enough experience with either to say anything, but they look busy enough not to care at cocoon and Robots bartenders would be happy just to have a customer.

GS25

it's a corner store so it'll be right in the middle of it all with some tables and chairs outside. Honestly, it's has a lot of the weirdo foreigners. You might find a couple cool people there, but it's still a gs25...
staff:?
it's a corner store...

That pretty much sums up the Dunsan/Galleria/Timeworld area.

Eunhangdong/Downtown: don't bother going before 2am, and with all of these bars, if its not packed, don't bother going. Just walk right out and go somewhere else.

Jrock: dirty, lots of ghetto people go there o_0

Brickhouse: recently remodeled, clean, haven't seen too many people filling it up though...

Watermelon Sugar: dirtiest bar in daejeon, worse than Lucky Strike. Surprisingly consistent good turn out though. Cheap drinks are good, but they also attract cheap people, be warned. If you see a pretty girl there, theres a good chance shes there with an army of insecure mongolian guys....

Any other bar: I've poked my head in a few of the other bars here and there, all of them are empty every time. I have no idea how they stay open. Probably running some Jigsaw Man death room in their basements or something...

Gungdong/Chungnam Univ area: don't bother going when Chungnam students are on any kind of break.

Santa Klaus: not a bad bar. Decent prices on drinks, pretty diverse crowd with the university next door. I haven't really spent a lot of time there, but from the times I've gone, it's been ok.

Lucky Strike/Crying Nut: another one of each from Dunsan here. Average experience everytime I've gone.

That prettymuch sums up my take on Daejeon bars. If I didn't list any here, it wasn't worth mentioning.

The one thing I can say that is consistent among all of the bars is:

1. If you meet a girl at the bar, get her away from the bar/bartenders and into a booth ASAP. Korean bartenders are professional cockblocks. Just like your friendly neighborhood hagwon boss, just because they smile, doesn't mean they don't mind tossing you to the wolves.

2. The art of bartending is non existent with Korean bartenders. A real bartender is a good listener and wants you to enjoy your time. You might as well put a robot behind these bars because they don't give 2 shades of a shit about your life. "where are you from" and "what do you do" don't count as conversation. Cabbies ask me those questions every time.

3. Last, if you are new to Daejeon, or any city, be careful about who you choose as a friend. Daejeon is tiny, so every foreigner watches every other foreigner. What you wear, who you are with, where you go, is all logged into every other foreigners mind. Take some time to get the lay of the land and see who is who and what is what before buying a table full of 'weirdos' or 'uber-hipsters' a round of jaeger shots.
Dude Ranch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say having lived in Daejeon myself that this is a very accurate assessment. I've been to all those places

Some of the most interesting people I met there were international exchange students who went to Kaist or the other universities there
daegu geek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which of the bars are more quiet? As in bars where do you have to shout over the blaring music to talk to someone.
DWAEJIMORIGUKBAP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Please deefine dirty and ghetto.

Would this be a good place for me to go to meet chicks? Let's be honest that's my main motivation for going to bars. Second is drink prices, third is music.

I went to the timeworld area on fri.

Lucky strike - dead

Sponge - dead and overpriced

Robot - see above

TBH the best places were the gs25 and Jinny bar. The guy at Jinny bar gave me and Ying 5 freee buds each and Itchatted up one of the girls that works there and the bartenders actually cheered me on!
VFRinterceptor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWAEJIMORIGUKBAP wrote:
Quote:

Please deefine dirty and ghetto.

Would this be a good place for me to go to meet chicks? Let's be honest that's my main motivation for going to bars. Second is drink prices, third is music.

TBH the best places were the gs25 and Jinny bar. The guy at Jinny bar gave me and Ying 5 freee buds each and Itchatted up one of the girls that works there and the bartenders actually cheered me on!

When I say 'dirty', I mean physically, visibly dirty. The floors look like they have never been cleaned, the bathrooms are atrocious and there is a layer of grime on anything that does not get a drink placed on, or is walked on.

Ghetto people is simply people that act like they are still in a ghetto.

As far as if this were a good place for you to meet chicks, well, honestly, it would depend if chicks were there in the first place. I can't count how many times I've walked up the steps, opened the door. Saw, maybe 3-4 weirdo guys in there, and then I just closed the door and walked out.

Speaking of weirdo guys, the mother of all weirdos was there this one time. I was there, with some friends one night, and we met these girls, so we start dancing on the dance floor, messing around, and I swear, this guy, looked to be in his late 30's maybe early 40's, literally stands right next to us, at the end of the bar, and just flat out starts staring at the girls we were with. He had the most disgusting look on his face as if he was recording everything he was seeing in his mind so he could go home and remind himself about it later...ugh. Those are the kinds of weirdos you can find around Daejeon...
DWAEJIMORIGUKBAP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. Looks like I'll be going to the cinema more often then. May not be a bad thing!
thurst

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've heard jrock is usually pretty popping...but whatever. i can definitely cosign the staff at sponge are d-bags. me and some of my boys came up to daejeon and this fat ass bouncer threw my friend out for no real reason and then when we went to leave he grabs an empty cass bottle and followed us outside while grabbing at my friend...eventually he cornered my boy and they got into a little fight...the whole time i'm trying to break it up.

later after my friend high-tailed it the hell out of there, the fat guy comes back with brass knuckles and talking about i have to be a witness for him against my friend...yeah ok buddy. i went to this other spot around the corner called club 13 or something, pretty nice spot more of a lounge than a club though.

moral of the story, if you're in sponge and a fat angry looking korean guy is staring you down watch out bcuz he apparently works there and will not hesitate to try and lay hands on you.
VFRinterceptor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thurst wrote:
i've heard jrock is usually pretty popping...but whatever. i can definitely cosign the staff at sponge are d-bags. me and some of my boys came up to daejeon and this fat ass bouncer threw my friend out for no real reason and then when we went to leave he grabs an empty cass bottle and followed us outside while grabbing at my friend...eventually he cornered my boy and they got into a little fight...the whole time i'm trying to break it up.

later after my friend high-tailed it the hell out of there, the fat guy comes back with brass knuckles and talking about i have to be a witness for him against my friend...yeah ok buddy. i went to this other spot around the corner called club 13 or something, pretty nice spot more of a lounge than a club though.

moral of the story, if you're in sponge and a fat angry looking korean guy is staring you down watch out bcuz he apparently works there and will not hesitate to try and lay hands on you.

The staff at sponge are absolute shit. The female that works there goes by 'Foxy' (?), she's got a k-'fro. She's ok, but the other guys there are certified d-bags.

I think your story about the events at sponge should have it own thread where you should go into more detail.
qcat79

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that's a good review of daejeon. i've never been there myself, but at least i know what to look out for.
talltony4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Watermelon Sugar still have a giant stone *beep* hanging over a table? Or was that J-rock?
talltony4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, the filter caught that one. I mean, giant, stone phallus
Beeyee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....the flaming phallus is still there.
Psy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
GS25
it's a corner store so it'll be right in the middle of it all with some tables and chairs outside. Honestly, it's has a lot of the weirdo foreigners. You might find a couple cool people there, but it's still a gs25...
staff:?
it's a corner store...

GS25 is considered a bar? Seriously? That and all the C-blocking makes it sound like a place that was shat on, eaten, and regurgitated. I hate Daejeon, already.
smuttynose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Hahaha Reply with quote

I'm an American. I've lived in Daejeon for 10 months now, and have spent many nights in all of the bars (except Crying Nut, oddly enough), and have to say something:

Sponge is a fantastic bar. The so-called "cockblocking" bartenders are not cockblocking so much as they are looking out for the well-being of the girls. Foxy (yes, her English moniker) is awesome and lots of fun, and the guys (Das, Evan, Choppa, and Alla) are all very upstanding, polite gentlemen. They like to make fun of each other, and they like contests. If you're not up to compete for girls, then try a massagi.
If you get out-gamed by them because you don't speak the language, that's not them cockblocking; that's you being inadequately equipped to play the game b/c you don't speak Korean.

Watermelon Sugar is a gay bar...there's a huge dick hanging from the ceiling. If you didn't realize this, it's alright. Homosexuality is seriously hidden in Korean culture because it's demonized and unreal, like in Iran. It's not quite a crime, but family might disown you, and your job might fire you. This year in the Pride Parade in Seoul, they passed out flyers that asked people to blur faces in pictures. So yes, they can't openly say it's a gay bar, but a giant, flaming, schmock SHOULD clue you in.

JRock is a little dingy, but it plays decent hip-hop, and the owners have pretty fun-themed nights throughout the week. PLUS, amazing Mexican food. Burritos are a little lacking, though.

Kokomo is too expensive to bother with.

Cocoon is a mess, yes. Too smoky, too packed, retarded music, and if you're drunk, the mirrors make it look AWESOME. Lights on, though, it's gross. DJs are wack, too.

Robot is desperate all the time. DJs electro + electroclash, which Koreans don't seem to like unless they're on drugs. Too much to get in, always empty, bleeeehhhhhhh don't bother unless you're on serious drugs or want to dance REALLYREALLYREALLY hard.

Overall, I think the OP is a whiny snitch. You want to mack it to Korean girls? Learn the language, fool. Or every time some Korean dude says, "hey, this stupid foreigner is trying to *beep* you," and they all laugh at you, you'll look just as stupid as if someone said that back home. Only difference is, you might not be so quick to fight here since you could get jailed and deported Smile

One more thing: the "fay guy" at Sponge is RJ. He doesn't work there, but he is a friend of mine. Odds are you did some fucked up shit to get him that angry. He generally doesn't care to fight about much, but you're friend probably did something wrong. Backing up your boy is one thing (as I'm doing), but if you're friend does something wrong, you don't have to be a sycophant. Friends don't let friends behave like a$$hoes.

I <3 Daejeon.
VFRinterceptor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hahaha Reply with quote

Instead of writing back, I just decoded your words, they are bolded. Enjoy.

smuttynose wrote:
I'm an American. I've lived in Daejeon for 10 months now, and have spent many nights in all of the bars (except Crying Nut, oddly enough), and have to say something:

Sponge is a fantastic bar. The so-called "cockblocking" bartenders are not cockblocking so much as they are looking out for the well-being of the girls. Foxy (yes, her English moniker) is awesome and lots of fun, and the guys (Das, Evan, Choppa, and Alla) are all very upstanding, polite gentlemen. They like to make fun of each other, and they like contests. If you're not up to compete for girls, then try a massagi.
If you get out-gamed by them because you don't speak the language, that's not them cockblocking; that's you being inadequately equipped to play the game b/c you don't speak Korean.
Notice how she's giving Sponge great press here. To any reader, you have to understand that Daejeon only has a small small handful of bars and to any lazy foreigner who can't walk around a corner or spring some dough for a cab fare, Sponge is your last resort. Think of Sponge as Mikes Cabin x2. Anyways, what we have here is another fat western chick making friend with an overweight GAY korean bartender with self image issues (both girls). Yes, I know 'foxy' as well, I've played pool with her many times. And lets see, the other so called polite upstanding gentlemen? The ones that didn't know the color of shirt that I was wearing but didn't hesitate to talk shit about me and my korean speaking friend (non Korean) to our faces? Sure, I'll take your word over mine because hey, you go to Sponge to find guys to hook up with, right? EEEEH, wrong. I mapped your type a long time ago. You couldn't get a guy to take your pants off if you had a $100 bill hanging out of your pants. Let's move on.

Watermelon Sugar is a gay bar...there's a huge dick hanging from the ceiling. If you didn't realize this, it's alright. Homosexuality is seriously hidden in Korean culture because it's demonized and unreal, like in Iran. It's not quite a crime, but family might disown you, and your job might fire you. This year in the Pride Parade in Seoul, they passed out flyers that asked people to blur faces in pictures. So yes, they can't openly say it's a gay bar, but a giant, flaming, schmock SHOULD clue you in.
Notice the difference between her review of Sponge and Watermelon...you see it right? Polar opposites. She's giving Watermelon a bad review here...guess why? Yup, it's a small club with loud music where people dance, a virtual hell for any fat person to navigate. Not to mention dance! The club is on the 2nd floor! Who knows what kind of weight this bovine is packin? Anyways, contrary to Bessie/whatsernames review, this isn't a gay bar. Maybe it just feels like a gay bar to her because guys would rather hit on eachother than talk to her....ANYHOO, moving on...

JRock is a little dingy, but it plays decent hip-hop, and the owners have pretty fun-themed nights throughout the week. PLUS, amazing Mexican food. Burritos are a little lacking, though.
I'll agree with this...it seems bessie/whatserface likes her some mexican food. Unfortunately for her JROCK doesn't have one of those 'stamp card' things, otherwise, they'd have to build a slide from their 2nd floor window to slide food down to her. Let's keep going...

Kokomo is too expensive to bother with.
Kokomo is a lounge bozo.

Cocoon is a mess, yes. Too smoky, too packed, retarded music, and if you're drunk, the mirrors make it look AWESOME. Lights on, though, it's gross. DJs are wack, too.
Clearly she self induces beer goggles on and looks at herself to boost self confidence. An interesting tactic...I'll have to study about this.

Robot is desperate all the time. DJs electro + electroclash, which Koreans don't seem to like unless they're on drugs. Too much to get in, always empty, bleeeehhhhhhh don't bother unless you're on serious drugs or want to dance REALLYREALLYREALLY hard.
She calls Robot desperate because the guys standing outside figure she's gonna drop 100k getting drunk tonight to 'self induce' beer goggles, so the doormans thinking 'hey, why not drop that 100k here?!'. Aside from that, I doubt she's ever gone in there. She listed nothing about the interior of the club, which is actually pretty impressive.

Overall, I think the OP is a whiny snitch. You want to mack it to Korean girls? Learn the language, fool. Or every time some Korean dude says, "hey, this stupid foreigner is trying to *beep* you," and they all laugh at you, you'll look just as stupid as if someone said that back home. Only difference is, you might not be so quick to fight here since you could get jailed and deported Smile
You're absolutely right here bessie, I've had my fair share of bar fights back in the states. And I don't need to do anything you ask or tell me to.

One more thing: the "fay guy" at Sponge is RJ. He doesn't work there, but he is a friend of mine. Odds are you did some fucked up shit to get him that angry. He generally doesn't care to fight about much, but you're friend probably did something wrong. Backing up your boy is one thing (as I'm doing), but if you're friend does something wrong, you don't have to be a sycophant. Friends don't let friends behave like a$$hoes.
I'm guessing you tried to write 'FAT GUY' up there, but you're fingers are so big, as with the rest of you, that it must've hit both. Anyways, I'm glad to hear you like him and the rest of the staff at Sponge so much. Clearly, you spend the majority of your time and money there, so I guess sitting alone at the bar for 4-5 hours chugging your 20th Cass, you're bound to open your mouth to say something other than holding your 5th bowl of pretzels or cheesy poofs and saying "NOM NOM NOM MORE NOM NOM NOM (repeat)" For the record, the incident with your belligerent and possibly racist buddy RJ (Retarded Jerk), didn't happen with me. It happened to someone else that I read about their story here, on Daves. After I read it, I decided to spread the word and let people know what kind of people work at that bar you so proudly patronize.

I <3 Daejeon.
OM NOM NOM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: