Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American rapes Korean woman in JimJJilbang
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCalRich

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conrad2 wrote:
SoCalRich wrote:
conrad2 wrote:
SoCalRich wrote:
Olivencia wrote:
A rape accusation.

Well do you also agree that some rape victims do not get justice? Furthermore, isn't there a possibility that the lax players actually did do it? So based on one case in another country, you come to this conclusion?

In the Duke case, No, there is no possibility whatsoever that they did do it. This has been determined.

So the American justice system is absolutely fair and make the right decision every time? The girl had a poor lawyer who was eventually disbarred due to this case while the three guys who went to a fairly elite private school, had access to some of the best lawyers.

I never said anything about the American justice system. I only commented on the Duke case. The lacrosse players did not rape the girl. 100% confirmed. And you know the reason the alleged victims lawyer was disbarred, dont you. He lied and withheld evidence that he knew would exonerate the players. He knew they were innocent but went ahead anyway for political reasons.

True, I'd have to look into it more. I still don't think anybody is truly 100% acquitted. Legally, yes they are, but socially, no. Do I feel bad for them? maybe, but I'm not going to allow the justice system to be the base of my decisions because the only ones who truly know are the defendant, victim and G.o.d. Look at O.J. Do I think he did it? I think there is a possibility that he still may have murdered her even though he was 100% acquitted in the eyes of the justice system. What about that little girl who was killed in Colorado (The Ramseys)? But in all honesty, I think this topic can be hung out to dry for now. I'm glad that most of us could have a logical and tactful debate on such a touchy subject.
Trevor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conrad2 wrote:
SoCalRich wrote:
Olivencia wrote:
A rape accusation.

Well do you also agree that some rape victims do not get justice? Furthermore, isn't there a possibility that the lax players actually did do it? So based on one case in another country, you come to this conclusion?

In the Duke case, No, there is no possibility whatsoever that they did do it. This has been determined.

This is the correct answer, SoCal. And this is why false accusations are so repugnant. It is because individuals such as yourself continue to harbor suspicions even after it has been conclusively shown that the accusations are absurd, contrived, and in this case used as a catalyst for a political campaign. I get the sense that you don't really grasp exactly how much damage is done in these sorts of cases -- or care, particularly.
bacasper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this report, false rape accusations are about one in four, but I have seen higher estimates elsewhere:

False Rape Accusations May Be More Common Than Thought

Quote:
This week I stumbled over a passage in a 1996 study published by the U.S. Department of Justice: Convicted by Juries, Exonerated by Science: Case Studies in the Use of DNA Evidence to Establish Innocence After Trial.

The study documents 28 cases which, "with the exception of one young man of limited mental capacity who pleaded guilty," consist of individuals who were convicted by juries and, then, later exonerated by DNA tests.

At the time of release, they had each served an average of 7 years in prison.

The passage that riveted my attention was a quote from Peter Neufeld and Barry C. Scheck, prominent criminal attorneys and co-founders of the Innocence Project that seeks to release those falsely imprisoned.

They stated, "Every year since 1989, in about 25 percent of the sexual assault cases referred to the FBI where results could be obtained, the primary suspect has been excluded by forensic DNA testing. Specifically, FBI officials report that out of roughly 10,000 sexual assault cases since 1989, about 2,000 tests have been inconclusive, about 2,000 tests have excluded the primary suspect, and about 6,000 have "matched" or included the primary suspect."

The authors continued, "these percentages have remained constant for 7 years, and the National Institute of Justice's informal survey of private laboratories reveals a strikingly similar 26 percent exclusion rate."

If the foregoing results can be extrapolated, then the rate of false reports is roughly between 20 (if DNA excludes an accused) to 40 percent (if inconclusive DNA is added). The relatively low estimate of 25 to 26 percent is probably accurate, especially since it is supported by other sources.
SoCalRich

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone lock this thread already. Sorry bacasper but this has already been discussed to death.

bacasper wrote:
According to this report, false rape accusations are about one in four, but I have seen higher estimates elsewhere:

Quote:
This week I stumbled over a passage in a 1996 study published by the U.S. Department of Justice: Convicted by Juries, Exonerated by Science: Case Studies in the Use of DNA Evidence to Establish Innocence After Trial.

The study documents 28 cases which, "with the exception of one young man of limited mental capacity who pleaded guilty," consist of individuals who were convicted by juries and, then, later exonerated by DNA tests.

At the time of release, they had each served an average of 7 years in prison.

The passage that riveted my attention was a quote from Peter Neufeld and Barry C. Scheck, prominent criminal attorneys and co-founders of the Innocence Project that seeks to release those falsely imprisoned.

They stated, "Every year since 1989, in about 25 percent of the sexual assault cases referred to the FBI where results could be obtained, the primary suspect has been excluded by forensic DNA testing. Specifically, FBI officials report that out of roughly 10,000 sexual assault cases since 1989, about 2,000 tests have been inconclusive, about 2,000 tests have excluded the primary suspect, and about 6,000 have "matched" or included the primary suspect."

The authors continued, "these percentages have remained constant for 7 years, and the National Institute of Justice's informal survey of private laboratories reveals a strikingly similar 26 percent exclusion rate."

If the foregoing results can be extrapolated, then the rate of false reports is roughly between 20 (if DNA excludes an accused) to 40 percent (if inconclusive DNA is added). The relatively low estimate of 25 to 26 percent is probably accurate, especially since it is supported by other sources.
Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Someone lock this thread already. Sorry bacasper but this has already been discussed to death.

Why do you feel so threatened, intimidated, and insecure about the free exchange of ideas on this subject? Bacasper contributed some information that we haven't seen before. Confused Are you trying to lock the thread so that you can silence ideas that do not follow that party line of feminist jingoism? Why is that link so threatening to you?
SoCalRich

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor wrote:
Quote:

Why do you feel so threatened, intimidated, and insecure about the free exchange of ideas on this subject. Bacasper contributed some information that we haven't seen before.

Why do you find that so threatening? Confused

Lol, no one feels threatened or any of the above. Is there anything else to say? We can post links and quotes up here all day that we've never seen before. Let's agree to disagree until some other news about this case pops up. You obviously believe what you believe and I'll do the same. Matter of fact, why don't you respond to my reply a couple pages ago instead of coming up with some ridiculous accusations about how I feel?
Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalRich wrote:
Trevor wrote:
Quote:

Why do you feel so threatened, intimidated, and insecure about the free exchange of ideas on this subject. Bacasper contributed some information that we haven't seen before.

Why do you find that so threatening? Confused

Lol, no one feels threatened or any of the above. Is there anything else to say? We can post links and quotes up here all day that we've never seen before. Let's agree to disagree until some other news about this case pops up. You obviously believe what you believe and I'll do the same. Matter of fact, why don't you respond to my reply a couple pages ago instead of coming up with some ridiculous accusations about how I feel?

If you think there's nothing more to say, no one is forcing you to continue participating in the thread. Requesting that it be locked is a pretty drastic measure if you simply feel there's nothing more to be said.

If there's really nothing more to be said, people will stop contributing to the thread. The fact that you're asking Trevor to respond to something you said a while back implies that there are still things to be said, though. It seems like you're in the fairly common internet position of wanting to cease discussion but not wanting to look like you're just walking away from it. Usually this is experienced by people who realize they're in a weak position but don't want to admit it.
Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Matter of fact, why don't you respond to my reply a couple pages ago instead of coming up with some ridiculous accusations about how I feel?

I think you have missed the point. My tonge was firmly in cheek. The threatening--intimidated--insecure jargon has been a mainstay of feminist propaganda for decades. Ridiculous accusations about how men feel are so much a part of modern dogma on gender that people hardly notice it anymore. It went right under your nose and you responded with a knee-jerk reaction. Men have been putting up with crap like that for decades. Wink

As for whatever I didn't respond to, my apologies. Can you re-post what you wanted a response to? I'm not sure what you are referring to.
bacasper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalRich wrote:

bacasper wrote:

Sorry, I must have missed that. What was the discussion, by whom was it, and on exactly which page of this thread did that occur?
SoCalRich

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacaspar: we already went over the fact that there are rape accusations that are untrue and compared them with U.S. and SK etc. etc. No need to bring more links and quotes. It's done.

trevor: it's on page 5, I wrote a lot, hoping you'd respond to it. Not trying to be a jerk or anything. I really don't care if you respond to it or not. I think I already know what you're going to say. Your stance on this is set and so is mine so that's that.

If you guys have something relevant to say about the topic that has not already been discussed then go ahead and write it. Otherwise, I'm not trying to get into a useless flamefest. It's getting ridiculous.We can argue forever but rules 3 and 5 in TOS even prohibit this type of nonsense.
Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked back at your post on page 5....difficult and very time consuming to address point by point. If you could summarize two or three points you want me to address I will.

SoCalRich wrote:
bacaspar: we already went over the fact that there are rape accusations that are untrue and compared them with U.S. and SK etc. etc. No need to bring more links and quotes. It's done.

trevor: it's on page 5, I wrote a lot, hoping you'd respond to it. Not trying to be a jerk or anything. I really don't care if you respond to it or not. I think I already know what you're going to say. Your stance on this is set and so is mine so that's that.

If you guys have something relevant to say about the topic that has not already been discussed then go ahead and write it. Otherwise, I'm not trying to get into a useless flamefest. It's getting ridiculous.We can argue forever but rules 3 and 5 in TOS even prohibit this type of nonsense.
mises

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalRich wrote:
Someone lock this thread already.

Weak.
bacasper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor wrote:
Quote:

Why do you feel so threatened, intimidated, and insecure about the free exchange of ideas on this subject?

The issue of false accusations is anathema to the gender feminist agenda and the sex abuse hysteria mongerers.

Don't you know that every "victim" is to be believed unquestioningly?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: