Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why the hell won't they tell you anything in advance?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stalin84

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Why the hell won't they tell you anything in advance?! Reply with quote

So I was practically on vacation for the past month. I still had to come into work from 9am-5pm every day and I had camps for two hours a day, but the students stopped showing up for my camps at the end of the first week (there were only three to begin with) and I had no other obligations at the school other than signing a form at the beginning and end of the day saying that I was there. I had to have it signed by a different teacher each day and then witnessed by the Vice Principal.

Between form signing, however, I often just left school and got my own lunch or I went for a walk or I just hung out in the English lab by myself (not many other teachers).

I knew the form signing ended today so last week I asked anyone available what would happen this week. I like knowing about classes in advance and had a bad feeling that they would start in February like last year. Most of the people I asked either didn't know or they told me there definitely weren't classes until the end of February. Or they just told me not to worry.

Anyway, today I set my alarm as to allow me to wake up and be at the school for 9:00am like the camp class schedule. I thought there was no classes, that I'd just be deskwarming. I got a phone call from my boss, who I asked on Friday, who told me that there were no classes this week, that I need to come in immediately.

He then asked me why I was late and I told him I thought we were on the same schedule as before. He said no, he didn't know why I thought that and said that we do have regular classes started from today and throughout all of February.

I've been here for nearly three years... I've been trying to get them to tell me for the entire time that I want to know when I have class because I like to PREPARE. Why is it so hard to tell me what everyone else already knows? As far as I know, I was the only one kept in the dark about there being class today. People who told me there wasn't class the other week are now asking me why I was late today and acting really surprised that I didn't know there was class.

Its so god damned frustrating. If I was back home and people acted like this I'd know they were just screwing with me. Since this happens to a lot of people here, I know its not that. Just why? WHY?!

I have nothing prepared for class as I didn't know there would be class this month. I don't even have a schedule for the next few weeks. I'm really not going to miss this job when I leave Korea this month.

PS. Any other public school teachers starting their normal schedule from today? All my friends start in March except my school for some reason...
redaxe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a power thing. Information is power, so by keeping all the info on an after-you-needed-to-know basis, your boss can make you jump at his command. Don't like it? Then leave Korea, because this is as deeply ingrained in their culture as kimchi.
reactionary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i'm on a normal schedule today. i half thought i was gonna have a class thrown in my face (which i have not prepared for)

by the way, i still have to sign in...and my school let me leave in the early afternoon after camps. kinda hope that doesnt come back to bite me since it's against official policy and they have it in writing that i wasnt here. seriously, wtf.

honestly i just try to take things like this with a grain of salt. you can't expect feast from famine, and they probably won't ever be seeing the best worker that i can be.
Stalin84

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redaxe wrote:
I think it's a power thing. Information is power, so by keeping all the info on an after-you-needed-to-know basis, your boss can make you jump at his command. Don't like it? Then leave Korea, because this is as deeply ingrained in their culture as kimchi.

That's stupid. We're living in the 21st century for crying out loud...

I am leaving. Twenty-seven days. Thank god.

reactionary wrote:
honestly i just try to take things like this with a grain of salt. you can't expect feast from famine, and they probably won't ever be seeing the best worker that i can be.

I'm going to let them all watch movies.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by an expat in 2002 to expect that as a cultural thing and so I prepared mentally for it. I just laugh and shake my head at how often and how inefficient and silly it seems. But I don't get at all upset because I knew it was endemic of Korean society, for whatever reason.

Go with the flow, and see the humour and even exciting fun of it, the last minute notice of schedule changes, being flexible and ready to handle the flux.

It just is.
Stalin84

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:

It just is.

I know and normally I am prepared for it. Its just that this time I was assured there wouldn't be classes today.

Usually when something is sprung up on me I'm not assured it won't happen before hand.
reactionary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalin84 wrote:
redaxe wrote:

reactionary wrote:

I dont have that kind of power. thorn in my side co-teachers.
Stalin84

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reactionary wrote:
Stalin84 wrote:
redaxe wrote:

reactionary wrote:

I dont have that kind of power. thorn in my side co-teachers.

I don't know what the expect me to produce with no notice, though. Either movies or free time, maybe a game or two. If it weren't my last month I might get all stressed out and try to crank out something worthwhile but its possible this is my last week of classes and their last week of being first year students, so.... Even if I were to prepare, its not like they're going to be in studying mode anyway.
blackjack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The teachers at my school get their schedule by logging onto an internet calendar thingy, they probably just forget that you don't have access to it, ask your co-teacher if there is anything similar at your school
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, South Korea ranks in the top 5 countries in what sociologists call PDI or power-distance index. This type of of behavior is a classic example.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what's been said already, I just want to add that I think Koreans tend to expect people to be able to pull instant lessons out of their nether regions on the spot.

They have this idea that a good teacher should be able to deal with whatever they throw at you, without any preparation.

A bad teacher will stew and fuss and complain about the lack of advanced warning.

It's important to "appear" like you know what you're doing, even if you don't.

I'm not saying I agree with it, it's just what I've noticed.
Hightop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalin84 wrote:
redaxe wrote:

Physically Koreans are in the 21st century but mentally they are still in a mid 1600's state of mind. They enjoy being there.
lifeinkorea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I haven't had this happen where the school got upset over it. They just realize they didn't inform me and excuse it.

If I knew about the schedule changes, then I would feel more obligated to be on time and prepared. I treat it as an ignorance is bliss type of thing.

Right now, as I am typing this, one student is trying to inform the other they are supposed to go to my co-teacher's class. She is convinced she has class with me today, Laughing

We are trying to explain to her in Korean and English that's not true.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have snapped.

This thread brings back memories. Times when I would get last minute notice and freak out, then just say something like "I don't feel well, I'm going home for the rest of the day." and then I would leave.

I am glad I got my school to realize this drives foreigners crazy and thus they improved about 90% from the beginning of my tenure to the end. The 10% would be decrees from the principal that NO ONE would get warnings about. I loved to see Korean teachers getting as pissed as I usually did.
gay in korea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The South Korean economy is one of the most inefficient in the developed world. Your story is a major reason why. The level of disorganization is obscene. Attribute it to whatever you want, but it's not a good thing: k-culture, DPI etc.

When I was working at a middle school I never had class before 9:20, and most of the time it was 10:30. But there would be random days where the schedule was accelerated and I had class right at 8:30, but no one ever told me. I don't blame the culture, it's just plain incompetence. But it will require a wide-scale cultural shift to correct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: