Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New breed of teachers at Korean universities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Source

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: New breed of teachers at Korean universities Reply with quote

I interviewed a guy who is just finishing his contract at a Korean university. He came to the interview drunk. How could that idiot be lacking so much in common sense? I would have expected higher standards from any teacher coming from any hagwon in Korea.

Lower salaries and worsening conditions at Korean universities - this is what happens.
frankly speaking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interviewed a guy a few years ago that came wearing pajama bottoms. People tend to believe the BS that people post here that all you need is to be white and breathe. Many people lack professionalism and stay in crappy schools.

The worst part is that the overall boss was going to hire this guy because on paper he was awesome. MA, teacher license, was on a popular Korean tv game show and was a winner.

After a few questions it was clear that he was just here to waste time before going back to the US.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anyone who actually interviews people sees the reality of what is out there.

My favorite was this guy who comes in wearing Dockers and a sweater. The sweater was a V front with no t-shirt under it so it was like interviewing the wolfman.

Then this guy starts in like: if I were to work here I would need xxx and xxx. Also, I don't do xxx nor do I do xxx.

I guess he thought since he was white and worked at a decent school before that he would be a shoe in. He thought WRONG.

I think that was one of the parts of my old job that I absolutely hated: having to interview new people.
Goon-Yang

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no new breed. Just idiots.

From my experience:

1) The idiot wearing the floral shorts and T-shirt (he was going to the beach after the interview)
2) The drunk
3) The obvious pedo/skirt chaser
4) The retard
5) The redneck

You name it I've seen it. Hagwons attract a lot of freaks and when they've been here a few years they think they can get a uni gig.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Do envy those who do interviews. YOu must struggle not to burst out laughing at times. I had a collegue who botched TWO interviews by stringing swears together when she was asked to describe her present school/supervisor.
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it's not a new breed, just lack of common sense. For instance I got a call for an interview and it was noon, they wanted me there at 3pm. I hauled ass home and got on my nice clothes and cleaned myself up still making it to the interview on time. If you can't be bothered with being professional for an interview, why would a university want to hire you?
Mountain Mama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone showed up drunk or inappropriately dressed at an interview for a highschool or hagwon wouldn't they also get rejected?
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain Mama wrote:
If someone showed up drunk or inappropriately dressed at an interview for a highschool or hagwon wouldn't they also get rejected?

They should. I interviewed for a high school, so my story above fits that.
Wishmaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I'll say it for the thousandth time: Who hires them? Koreans do. So, the blame falls squarely on them. C'mon, it is time for them to man up and get with the program. Stop blaming others for your own failures. If I were the owner of a business back home and a slovenly dressed Korean came in wanted a job, I would put his ass out on the street. It would go for anyone regarldless of race, ethnicity, etc. It is common sense. I have no sympathy for them. The Koreans are the ones that do the hiring and they should also take the blame.
BoholDiver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy I interviewed before had filthy hands. Like right down into his fingernails. Bad hygeine is pretty unacceptable.

So is the gyopo I interviewed who spoke like a wannabe gangster (minus the swears) and littered a coffee cup on the ground right in front of me.

Guys and gals, we shouldn't complain. Less competition for all of us reasonable people.
madoka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:

Then this guy starts in like: if I were to work here I would need xxx and xxx. Also, I don't do xxx nor do I do xxx.

I guess he thought since he was white and worked at a decent school before that he would be a shoe in. He thought WRONG.

But did he ask for reimbursement for pens and post-its? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: