Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FAQ: Shopping for digital cameras and camcorders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: FAQ: Shopping for digital cameras and camcorders Reply with quote

Digital camera shopping
1. digi cam or regular (film)?
2. are digi cams cheaper in japan?
3. digital cameras
4. i lost my camera! (suggestions for replacement?)
5. camera question - digicam shopping

More about digital cameras
1. stupid question about digital cameras
2. Digicam Picture Taking Tips

Camcorders
1. Buying a Camcorder in Korea
2. Video Cameras: Good ideas for shooting?
3. PAL vs NTSC DVcamcorder
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Converting MOV to AVI Reply with quote

Many digital cameras with a video options use the Mac .MOV format. The problem with the MOV format is Windows Move Maker does not open .MOV files for editing. Luckily there's a quick free (supported by donations) MOV to AVI converter here:

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

Download the RAD video tools.
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the edges of Namdaemoon market there's a digital camera mall that sells digital cameras smuggled in from Japan. They do not have the outrageously high duty Korea imposes on Japanese electronics. You can easily save $100+ on a digital camera. The down side is they do not come with any kind of warranty. So buy at your own risk.

The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mall and accompanying camera shops along that street are also the best places to get model-specific digital camera accessories. In September I looked all over the city (including Yongsan) for a lens adapter/filter set for my Canon S2IS, a search that got me a lot of waving hands and "opsoyo"s. I ended up on that street, where it seemed every third store had exactly what I wanted.

Nice map. Curious - why the Thai? How'd you stumble on that?
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
That mall and accompanying camera shops along that street are also the best places to get model-specific digital camera accessories. In September I looked all over the city (including Yongsan) for a lens adapter/filter set for my Canon S2IS, a search that got me a lot of waving hands and "opsoyo"s. I ended up on that street, where it seemed every third store had exactly what I wanted.

Nice map. Curious - why the Thai? How'd you stumble on that?

Just googling for a map on namdaemoon. That was the best one I could find.
geedog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mindmetoo wrote:
On the edges of Namdaemoon market there's a digital camera mall that sells digital cameras smuggled in from Japan. They do not have the outrageously high duty Korea imposes on Japanese electronics. You can easily save $100+ on a digital camera. The down side is they do not come with any kind of warranty. So buy at your own risk.

These cameras are not "smuggled" from Japan, they are ordered and called "grey market" because they do not carry the Canon Korea warranty (if you are buying Canon), since they are from Japan.

I bought my Rebel XTi/400D from Canon Plaza, but I got the Kiss Digital X, the Jap. Warranty version (same camera) but for $150 less...

http://thedailykimchi.blogspot.com/2006/11/my-new-digital-slr-canon-eos-digital.html
Andyc24_uk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it's just me but the map above doesn't load on my computer now (it did a few weeks back)...
Anyway having found this wonderful little street of camera shops last weekend, I'd highly recommend them!

There are about 10-15 shops on the corner virtually opposite the Namdaemun gate itself (or more accurately the big white tent which is currently covering the charred remains of the Namdaemun gate Sad )

It seemed to me that the further down the street you go (i.e. away from Namdaemun) prices seem to drop a bit - I was looking for an 80-300mm Canon lens, and was quoted W280,000 in the first shop; W250,000 a couple of doors down, and finally bought it for W195,000 in one of the last shops in the row! They have a huge variety of stuff there including some out-of-production cameras and lenses without IS which are significantly cheaper if you're looking for a bargain.
michealtop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
julian_w

Location: Somewhere beyond Middle Peak Hotel, north of Middle Earth, and well away from the Middle of the Road

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Wearable HD cams Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend anything on the market in Korea these days with regard wearable HD cameras?

I want something for my bicycle.

I could import one of these:
http://vholdr.com/contourhd/reviews

but suspect that there may be something either locally produced, or at least locally available.. possibly even this model.

Any ideas or info.?
zhanknight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mindmetoo wrote:

[img]http://files.photojerk.com/mindme/seoulnamdaemun.jpg[/img]

Is this still true, and can we find a better map or some more specific directions? I'm about to start hunting for an Olympus E-PL2 kit and am mortified by the gMarket going price as compared to the US retail price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: