Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips for getting university jobs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Tips for getting university jobs Reply with quote

WEar professional clothes. You'd be surprised how many peopel go to interviews in jeans.

Use titles, such as Dr. Mr, Prof. DOn't address your interviewers by their first name.

Be prepared. Bring orginals, such as your degree and recommendation letters so that they can see them. I wouldn't give them orginal transripts, etc at an interview, but that's up to you.

Talk to people. If someone you know is at a university, ask them to put in a good word for you. Even if they aren't in charge of hiring, they could still tell the directors about you. (though you should only recommend people that you're certain will do a fantastic job)

Have a professional CV. Borders, correct spelling, information in full will all help you.

Call or resend an email. Some emails may go to spam, or sometimes people don't pass the first round of interviews, or those that do, accept jobs elsewhere. Never hurts to send a polite second email or phone call.

Say thanks if you have an interview. A day or two later, shot off a quick email saying thanks.

Follow directions. If they want you to fill out an application form, then do so. They want contact info for your references, do so. They want orginal transcripts. . . well, that's up to yuou. You SHOULD follow directions, however, if you're applying to a couple places, getting orginal transcripts could get expensive.

Keep a list of the unis you apply to along with their contact info.l That way you'll know who's calling you for an interview.

Broaden your horizons. Look outside of Seoul, there's less competition and often unis will pay a bit more for "hardship" posts.

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Sun May 30, 2010 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
hubbahubba

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for getting university jobs Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
WEar professional clothes. You'd be surprised how many peopel go to interviews in jeans.

Use titles, such as Dr. Mr, Prof. DOn't address your interviewers by their first name.

Be prepared. Bring orginals, such as your degree and recommendation letters so that they can see them. I wouldn't give them orginal transripts, etc at an interview, but that's up to you.

Talk to people. If someone you know is at a university, ask them to put in a good word for you. Even if they aren't in charge of hiring, they could still tell the directors about you. (though you should only recommend people that you're certain will do a fantastic job)

Have a professional CV. Borders, correct spelling, information in full will all help you.

Call or resend an email. Some emails may go to spam, or sometimes people don't pass the first round of interviews, or those that do, accept jobs elsewhere. Never hurts to send a polite second email or phone call.

Say thanks if you have an interview. A day or two later, shot off a quick email saying thanks.

Follow directions. If they want you to fill out an application form, then do so. They want contact info for your references, do so. They want orginal transcripts. . . well, that's up to yuou. You SHOULD follow directions, however, if you're applying to a couple places, getting orginal transcripts could get expensive.

Keep a list of the unis you apply to along with their contact info.l That way you'll know who's calling you for an interview.

Yes, yes, and yes...but...will anyone follow it and pretty obvious for anyone who has ever secured employment above the wait staff level. Still, will anyone follow it...my hope is no--so that I can continue to nail any position I interview for here...lol
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu'd be surprised what people do, like I said, jeans at interviews, crappy CVs with spelling mistakes. Obvious, yes. Though sadly people often don't pay attention.
djsmnc

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a good, professional looking photo is a plus. I wouldn't submit one without a tie on. However, while assisting in the hiring process, I saw Hawaiian shirts, people holding drinks in bars, people on their trip to Cebu 2 years ago and I guarantee you that a lot of places will immediately delete those applications.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djsmnc wrote:
Also a good, professional looking photo is a plus. I wouldn't submit one without a tie on. However, while assisting in the hiring process, I saw Hawaiian shirts, people holding drinks in bars, people on their trip to Cebu 2 years ago and I guarantee you that a lot of places will immediately delete those applications.

Yep, like I said. Seems obvious, but you'd be surprised what people submit.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice addition to the 3-5 other threads running here on this very topic.

This thread by naturegirl falls in to the painfully obvious common sense that any applicant should have...but as she said, you would be surprised how badly some people present themselves when they apply....
sigmundsmith

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peoples. Dont listen to the above posters. Please send in your cv with spelling mistakes, this shows that you are creative. Show up to interviews in a hawaiian shirt, this shows that you have imagination. Don't follow directions, do what you want, this shows that you are an individual.

Alas, I will endeavor to do the opposite and I propbably won't succeed. I think this way is the best. Good luck to you all Very Happy
SeoulMan6

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOOK OUTSIDE OF SEOUL.
LOOK OUTSIDE OF SEOUL.
LOOK OUTSIDE OF SEOUL.

If you're looking for your first university gig, look outside of Seoul and other big cities. There's too much competition. Plus, there are plenty of rural universities and colleges.

I remember working at a small, rural university and we couldn't give the job away! I mean, I'd have given it to anyone who had a pulse and a couple of years in Korea, hagwon or otherwise. Those who finally took the job were pleased with the work, loved the 10 weeks of vacation, and still pulled in 2.0 million won. While those are not great conditions for a university, everyone did their year out in the country and were able to put "ZZZ University" on their resume which opened doors in the future. And hardly any of them had MAs.

They have since moved into much better positions that they never would have gotten had they not "done their time".

Aim low and you might get lucky.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulMan6 wrote:
LOOK OUTSIDE OF SEOUL.
LOOK OUTSIDE OF SEOUL.
LOOK OUTSIDE OF SEOUL..

Yep, I had five job offers from universities and I wasn't even in Korea. All of them were outside of Seoul.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You CAN get a university job when you apply from outside of Korea but your odds will be far better of landing a position by applying while you are in Korea.

No comparison in fact.
djsmnc

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
You CAN get a university job when you apply from outside of Korea but your odds will be far better of landing a position by applying while you are in Korea.

No comparison in fact.

This is more accurate, I believe. I had offers for interviews from Seoul while I was in the US (of course, my TESOL credentials are fairly top notch), but they were not going to conduct any of them unless it was in person. When I finally did come here, I beat out about 20 other people in my interview. Not bragging, but I did basically what nature girl mentioned in the OP. Each coworker of mine is quite polished in his/her personal presentation and sincere as an educator.
themagicbean

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Network. Skills don't get people jobs (although being below a minimum might keep you out). People get people jobs.

KOTESOL membership: 4man/year. Hit two conferences and hobnob, the international conference has a room where you meet and pre-interview with recruiters. They will remember you. Also, a professional development organization on your resume really helps if you don't have other teaching cred. Hit a seminar or two, read the bulletin, pick up the obnoxious and pretentious lingo, and throw it out in small doses at the interview.

ATEK, love or hate, is just one more way to meet people and it's free. I don't want to watch this spiral into a ATEK sucks/rocks thread but most of the crazies are gone and most of the execs have college or supervisory gigs and solid connections to the community.

AFEK if you can, other orgs if you can find them. Volunteer, community build, etc., etc. Plenty of FB groups for various cities.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, better positions may be available in country. I'm happy where I am now, but there was a uni here in Suwon that flat out said they couldn't offer me a position since I wasn't in Korea.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themagicbean wrote:
Network. Skills don't get people jobs (although being below a minimum might keep you out). People get people jobs.

KOTESOL membership: 4man/year. Hit two conferences and hobnob, the international conference has a room where you meet and pre-interview with recruiters. They will remember you. Also, a professional development organization on your resume really helps if you don't have other teaching cred. Hit a seminar or two, read the bulletin, pick up the obnoxious and pretentious lingo, and throw it out in small doses at the interview.

ATEK, love or hate, is just one more way to meet people and it's free. I don't want to watch this spiral into a ATEK sucks/rocks thread but most of the crazies are gone and most of the execs have college or supervisory gigs and solid connections to the community.

AFEK if you can, other orgs if you can find them. Volunteer, community build, etc., etc. Plenty of FB groups for various cities.

Don't forget to hand out your business card
livinginkorea

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themagicbean wrote:

I totally agree with this. My last two university jobs were introduced to me from somebody working there, my current job at the last KOTESOL Conference from a fellow presenter. You would be surprised how many universities do not place job ads online and just hire from word of mouth. For most of the non-English freshman departments I believe this is how they hire.

Sadly in some cases, it's more of who you know, not what you know. Korea is a small place for native-speakers so network like crazy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: