Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting off the hogwon blacklist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTP Trust

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young FRANKenstein wrote:
WTP Trust wrote:
Just like this. This is what I'm talking about.
bcjinseoul got the information from someone who is married to a Korean recruiter, but couldn't get the information about where the website is or how the Korean recruiter accessed it?

It's not that they CAN'T give the info. It's that they WON'T give it him. The list is intended for recruiters and schools, not the waegs likely to be on the list. Of course they won't tell him where the info is.

Furthermore, it's illegal, so bringing attention to it by telling the waeg where it is will never happen.

Well, seems like someone somewhere along the line (Korean, that is) would realize it's a load of crap and turn it in, or turn it over to someone like ATEK (for what that's worth)
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTP Trust wrote:
Well, seems like someone somewhere along the line (Korean, that is) would realize it's a load of crap and turn it in, or turn it over to someone like ATEK (for what that's worth)

Uh, no they wouldn't. Siding with waegs against their Korean brothers when it comes down to affecting their bottom line? Pfft, keep dreaming.
WTP Trust

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTP Trust wrote:

Uh, no they wouldn't. Siding with waegs against their Korean brothers when it comes down to affecting their bottom line? Pfft, keep dreaming.

Okay genius, you can pi$$ farther than me, you win. Happy? Rolling Eyes
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTP Trust wrote:
WTP Trust wrote:

Okay genius, you can pi$$ farther than me, you win. Happy? Rolling Eyes

Happy that I won an argument I didn't know we were even having? Yeah, ecstatic.
theseafoodloverinyou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing which list you're on is key to finding out how to remove your name from it and whether it's actually worth the effort.

For example, this list may be largely inactive, with only a few hagwon owners\ recruiters actually using it. Some of these hagwons may now be out of business.

My advice is to approach this recruiter again and obtain as much information as possible from him (e.g who can access\ consult this list, how active is it, can he share with you what the complaint was and who it was from, does the list allow for recruiters to correct any misinformation, would he be willing to help you out?)

Also, with more context, responding effectively to other recruiters who raise this issue won't be a concern.
WTP Trust

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theseafoodloverinyou wrote:
Knowing which list you're on is key to finding out how to remove your name from it and whether it's actually worth the effort.

For example, this list may be largely inactive, with only a few hagwon owners\ recruiters actually using it. Some of these hagwons may now be out of business.

My advice is to approach this recruiter again and obtain as much information as possible from him (e.g who can access\ consult this list, how active is it, can he share with you what the complaint was and who it was from, does the list allow for recruiters to correct any misinformation, would he be willing to help you out?)

Also, with more context, responding effectively to other recruiters who raise this issue won't be a concern.

Yes. This is what I'm talking about. Thanks for the input.

Does anyone have any idea when this blacklist started?If anyone does, that might help with some of us being able to pinpoint who it might possibly be that put us on the list. I think I remember seeing the public version of it in 2005 or early 2006, and at that time there weren't but maybe 50 names on it.
theseafoodloverinyou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=

Does anyone have any idea when this blacklist started?[/quote]

I don't think anyone knows a rip about this list. That is why I'm suggesting the OP speak with the recruiter who told him his name was on it to get more context.
WTP Trust

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there is a blacklist on the KFTRA website that is accessible only to recruiters or school owners, no, to anyone who pays to access the site. When it originally went up, like someone else was saying, it had the person's name as well as their passport number and their purported "crimes" which, also previously mentioned, were things like "rude to coworkers" or "wouldn't go to school dinners". Trivial stuff.

This original website went up around 2005 or 2006, not sure it you could access the original thread on it on Dave's though. I think that might be way beyond the thread cutoff time.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to signed up at the KFTRA site (without paying them anything). I am looking through their forum. A lot of people mention the blacklist but not how to access it. But that's most likely because my Korean is still pretty basic.

OP, if you can't find out from your friend where their particular blacklist was, then how are we supposed to give you advice on getting removed from the list?

Last edited by Troglodyte on Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a lot of posts on the forum about the blacklist. Here's an example.
http://www.kftra.co.kr/freeboard_view.asp?page=3&Num=119

It's from 2007 (I think). I think it's a proposal for a blacklist of teachers, or a proposal for improving the existing blacklist. Anyway, here's the original post (don't ask me to translate it, i can't. I'm barely able to skim through it.)

어학원을 하면서 가장 힘든부분이 원어민 강사의 섭외같습니다.
돈을 얼만큼 주느냐의 문제가 아니라, 돈과 상관없이 자질없는 강사들이 우리나라를 봉으
로 알고 달려들 때, 외국어를 가르치는 걸로 업을 하고는 있지만 우리나라에 대한 자괴감
도 들었었구요.
이런 원어민 Black list Site의 홍보를 적극적으로 해 주셨으면 합니다. 더 많은 학원장님들
이 모여야, 더 많은 불량강사를 올리실 것이고, 그래야 더 많은 학원장님들이 찾을 거니까
요.
원어민에 대한 잘못된 정보를 올려 원어민이 피해를 볼 수 있다는 점 인정합니다. 하지만
최소한 여기에 그런 사례를 올리는 불량강사는 원장님들이 제발 한번 면상에 나타나 주기
를 바라는 사람들이 아닌가 싶네요. 원장이 지불한 비싼 항공료, 리크루팅비, 강사료들 띠
어먹고, 계약 일방파기하고 달아나고 나서 나외에 다른 분들이 그런 일을 또 당하는 일이
없도록 하자고 불량강사라고 올린건데, 원어민 당사자가 그렇지 않다면 서로 만나 시시비
비를 따져야 겠지요. 학원장이 잘 못했다면 보상해야 할 것이고, 강사가 잘 못했다면 강사
가 보상해야지요.

두가지 Black list Site에 대한 개선안을 건의 드립니다.
첫째, 조회조건이 국적, 여권번호, 생년월일등 다양하게 있는데, 실제로 입력할 때는 이름
이외에 이러한 정보를 넣을 곳이 없습니다. 따라서 현재는 조회도 이름외에는 안되게 구성
되어 있습니다. 입력시 default로 이러한 정보를 넣을 수 있는 란을 만들어 검색에 연결해
주시면 List가 길어지더라도 좀 더 정확한 검색을 할 수 있을 것 같습니다.
두번째로 Black list에 올린 후로는 올린 사람도 수정/삭제를 할 수 없게 되어있군요. 올
린 사람이 한 번 올린 내용을 삭제할 수 있도록 하는 것에는 문제가 있어보입니다(왜냐하
면 한 번 올라온 외국인은 계속 다른 사람들에게 참고가 되어야 하기 때문입니다). 하지
만 수정은 할 수 있도록 해 주시면 좋겠습니다.최소한 오타라도 잡아야 하지 않을까 싶거
든요...

다시 한번 이런 Black List를 관리해 주시는데 감사드리며 귀협회의 노력이 한국에서 외국
어를 가르치는 대다수의 훌륭한 외국인 선생님, 학원원장님, 그리고 리크루팅에 종사하시
는 리크루터분들에게 좌절하는 일이 없도록 하는데 큰 도움이 될 것으로 믿습니다. 그리
고 우리모두에게 제일 중요한 우리를 믿고 배우는 아이들에게 정말로 우수한 영어를 가르
칠 수 있는 토양이 될 것으로 기대합니다.

감사합니다.

Last edited by Troglodyte on Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual blacklist (or where it should be) is the last item on the top menu.
http://www.kftra.co.kr/list.asp?idx=2
But it won't let me search. I think i have to be an official member (ie. pay something) to do a search. I can access the page where you add in people, but I don't think that I can view the list of people on the list. It looks like there are over 400 people listed on the blacklist.

The place to add teachers is here:
http://www.kftra.co.kr/list.asp?idx=3
You can even upload a photo of the poor SOB.

From the same drop down menu they have another page with a list of different categories of bad teachers. Here's my favourite.

Have fun
한국에 온 이유가 오직 즐기기 위하여 온 강사.
수업 끝나면 여자들과 어울려서 술마시고 다음날은 피곤해서 아프다는 핑계로 빠져주지만
그래도 저녁에는 꼬박 꼬박 술마시러 나가는 유형.

It's interesting to look through their forum. It's kind of like a flip side of the forum on Dave's. Lots of Koreans moaning about bad teachers who are dishonest or incompetent. Occasionally an apologist Korean saying how it's the fault of Korea that there are bad teachers here. There are a couple of people who quote something from an email that they received (supposedly from a NET) with rather dubious English (i.e. I doubt that an NET wrote it). I really wish that my Korean was better so that I could spend more time reading through it all.
WTP Trust

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Troglodyte. I'm meeting with my ex-ex girlfriend today and I cut and pasted that snippet to a document file that I will print off and look at with her.
If it's easy enough, I'll pay whatever to sign up for access to the website and depending on if it's worth it or not, maybe post the name and password on here for everyone to access it with.
Maybe though.
You know that every time a Korean wants to access a website, they have to register their citizen ID number, so I don't want this girl getting any backlash from enraged netizens/recruiters.
WTP Trust

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, looking at that page again, there's an English option but it only gets you so far as the BS greeting and then the list of recruiters using the blacklist.

Interesting...Korvia, the recruiter that a lot of people say is really great to use, is one of the members.
isthisreally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not very helpful, but

http://web.archive.org/web/*sr_1nr_25/http://kftra.co.kr/*
thegadfly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the KFTRA list used to be open to the public, but there were enough people complaining that they moved the juicy info to a private section -- I think they even changed to a "write to me if you want to know the dirt on such-and-such teacher."

I DO have to say that when it was open to the public, I used to peruse it for giggles, and found five people I had worked with or knew socially...and I must say the list was spot-on as far as the assessment went -- anecdotal evidence is anecdotal....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: