Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need to bring 1000 razors to Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Easter Clark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big towels are easy to find here.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a somewhat related side note, I picked up a pocket size electric shaver off the Homeplus discount shelf yesterday for 7500 won. Maybe no substitute for you guys that want a really close shave, but I tried it and it would definitely work in a pinch. I was so impressed I think I will go back and buy a few more for my brothers.
MattAwesome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring a year's supply of your favorite toiletries. it will save you money and time trying to find a replacements.
MattAwesome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring a year's supply of your favorite toiletries. it will save you money and time trying to find a replacements.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10,000 razors? what for killer? nah, just bring 10 sticks of underarm deodorant or anti persperant and you'll be fine. Everything else you casn find here.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The razor I like to use I can only find in Korea. It's the Pace6.
Goon-Yang

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One straight blade is more than enough to slit your wrists. Why bring 1000. you should bring deodorant though.
uklathemock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razors don't exactly take up a lot of space in your luggage. If it's cheaper, then bring it. The same with vitamins. No one mentioned contacts, but aside from Acuvue, they don't stock much else here. I usually bring back a bottle of crushed red pepper, since I'm not a big fan of Tobasco sauce on pizza or pasta.
Draz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattAwesome wrote:

This is really all you need to know. Trying to find decent products here is frustrating and expensive. I've wasted a fair bit of money and way more grief on horrible products. I started out thinking, whatever, I'M SURE THEY HAVE SHAMPOO IN KOREA LOL. Don't go there. I'm not that fussy, but the Korean version of American shampoo made my scalp start flaking off in huge chunks which is just totally unacceptable.

Remember, just because it says Pantene on the bottle doesn't mean it's the same as Pantene in America.

Shocked
NYC_Gal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lush makes shampoo bars that you rub on your head and lather up. I've found all but one scent that I like here. They're a bit pricey (maybe 13k or so, so not terribly expensive), but great and last a while. I call them hockey-puck shampoo, after my Canadian friend introduced them to me years ago in the states. I found Lush in Shinsegae Department Store as well as in Itaewon. Head and Shoulders is also common here, and you'll need it in the dry-as-hell winter.

Mach 3 razors are everywhere. Nivea men's shaving cream is readily available as well. One could also use shampoo or soap for shaving cream in a pinch. Just get a good loofah for lather; they're cheap and at every Skin Food or Innisfree (popular skin-care shops found everywhere).

Deodorant is available, albeit pricey. I don't use antiperspirant, as it clogs pores and I just think it's unhealthy, but there's a great unisex deodorant by Herban Cowboy in Dusk scent that I use that smells heavenly. It's about 7 bucks in the US, but 4 or 5 sticks last me a year.

Bring products that you prefer. Some may think that Americans are spoiled because we have preferences. Sure, I could live on Korean products if I had to, but why should I if I have the means to use the products that I've been using for years? Can I go camping with a cheap toothbrush and floss, and some baking soda, rather than my Sonicare, Pronamel toothpaste, dental tape/floss, and fluoride Listerine? Sure, and I have done. Would I want to live like that on a long-term basis? Not one bit.

It's my body. I'll decide what I use. To the poster calling Americans pansies or whatever it was: go shave with a rough stone and brush your teeth with twigs. We'll keep our skin looking great while you smugly tell yourself that you're better because you don't mind using inferior products.
jomiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumdiary wrote:
You will need a year long supply of razors, toothpaste and deodorant. Bring extra so that you can trade with foreigners who lack your foresight.

awesome!
and SO true!

they have razors with multiple blades tho.
deodorant is being sold here too.. its just that the prices are extremely high...
as for shampoo and such.. you can get it here. its hard to believe, but koreans use those items too.
but if its a specific brand you want, you might do better if you are willing to compromise...
l'oreal is possible, pantene, too... some other korean brands are available as well
Hyeon Een

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eamo wrote:
Easter Clark wrote:
http://www.ezshopkorea.com/shop/step_submain.php?orderby_bq=&research_b=&b_code=B20070628025822&m_code=&c_code=&pagenow=1

11,500 for a deodorant... Shocked that's 3 times what they should cost.

razors might be a similar price here in korea as back home, because it would seem the evil gilette company has managed to make their stuff criminally expensive in every country, but deodorant certainly isn't.

i'm still saying bring as much deodorant as you can carry.....

I'm getting back at the evil gilette company! I read an article about how to VASTLY extend the life of your razor.

Basically, when it is getting blunt, run it cutting side away against your forearm about ten times. Your razors don't go blunt, they just get.. messed up with bits and pieces. This cleans up the blade. I've extended the life of my blades maybe 5x since learning this tip..

Storing your razor in oil apparently helps too but I haven't tried that.
sugarkane59

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumdiary wrote:
You will need a year long supply of razors, toothpaste and deodorant. Bring extra so that you can trade with foreigners who lack your foresight.

This is such a pile of crud. I've never found a problem finding Nivea deodorant, excellent razors, or toothpaste with fluoride in it. People are just babies who need brands that are familiar with!
Senior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyeon Een wrote:
eamo wrote:
Easter Clark wrote:
http://www.ezshopkorea.com/shop/step_submain.php?orderby_bq=&research_b=&b_code=B20070628025822&m_code=&c_code=&pagenow=1

11,500 for a deodorant... Shocked that's 3 times what they should cost.

razors might be a similar price here in korea as back home, because it would seem the evil gilette company has managed to make their stuff criminally expensive in every country, but deodorant certainly isn't.

i'm still saying bring as much deodorant as you can carry.....

I'm getting back at the evil gilette company! I read an article about how to VASTLY extend the life of your razor.

Basically, when it is getting blunt, run it cutting side away against your forearm about ten times. Your razors don't go blunt, they just get.. messed up with bits and pieces. This cleans up the blade. I've extended the life of my blades maybe 5x since learning this tip..

Storing your razor in oil apparently helps too but I haven't tried that.

I only shave twice a week, so the razors last me quite a long time. I also heard if you run the blade over a piece of denim, it keeps them sharp.

My beef is with how the hair gets clogged in the blades. How are you supposed to remedy this?
Senior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried the running the blade down ur arm trick. It works. I used to do it ages ago, but stopped doing it. I don't know why it works, but it does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: