Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Watching the Korean World Cup games-outside!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nukeday

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirabilis85 wrote:
Wait..so according to that article, there IS still an event at City Hall. Just the official "cheer squad" has moved to COEX. Thats my reading of it at least.

Quote:
Hyundai Motor Company and SK Telecom are supposed to bear the overall expenses for security, bathrooms, media facilities as well as the rental fee for using the square, which is estimated to reach more than hundreds of millions of won.

SK Telecom said it would refrain from advertising their brands directly during events at Seoul Plaza.

"Participating citizens are free to enjoy the event as they like. You can even wear a blue shirt if you want," the anonymous official said

Why should anyone care about these "Red Devils?" They just sound bitter that Hyundai might steal some of their thunder. I'm not interested in whatever schtick either has to offer.

edit: Ah, I see. They created the global culture of street cheering.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2010/05/291_65771.html
crossmr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a couple of my korean friends are planning to go to City Hall it's still going on.
AsiaESLbound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tourist office in Itaewon station told me every event scheduled for City Hall this year has been canceled due to political demonstration problems last year causing police to shut the festivities down. These weren't sports related, but cultural events like concerts. The report that City Hall is best avoided due to over commercialization is a clean way of saying, "Festivities are off limits here by order of the police." I wouldn't count on anything happening there, but you can go check it out like at 6 or 7pm Saturday to see if there is going to be a big screen event. The Koreans really do feel bad about this fact so they don't like talking about tourism and cultural events for this very reason since City Hall is considered their cultural center, but now a defunct one. This is where the main event would be, if allowed.

My students are half optimistically looking forward to the games and a handful wearing red in the spirit of things to come. They really enjoyed watching the, "Flag Wavin'," and, "Football's Coming Home," videos when I showed them in the past few days. I taught about how soccer is the American word for what is internationally known as football. Some Americans are reported to be turning out in South Africa in the same spirit as England and many others are, but largely, America doesn't yet understand the global culture surrounding the game. I think in time the USA will concur.
lostinincheon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Naver these are the places you can go in the Seoul area.

Seoul National museum (in Yong San)
COEX
Seoul City Hall
SEoul World Cup Stadium (free 4 tickets/person are distributed from 9am)

Incheon Munhak Stadium also does cheering. They let ppl in from 3 hours beforehand.
edshort

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AsiaESLbound wrote:

I taught about how soccer is the American word for what is internationally known as football.

It's not an American word, it's an old English slang term for Association Football.

Also, there are rumours that the game will be shown in Daewha stadium (in Ilsan), but not sure how true that is.
AsiaESLbound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edshort wrote:
AsiaESLbound wrote:

I taught about how soccer is the American word for what is internationally known as football.

It's not an American word, it's an old English slang term for Association Football.

Also, there are rumours that the game will be shown in Daewha stadium (in Ilsan), but not sure how true that is.

Very interesting. I just found soccer is a colloquial abbreviation of association football. Much of what people say is American speaking is actually old English. Also our standard measuring system of feet and miles is old English. If you say football to your average American, except me, they think about a very different game played with a brown leather rugby looking ball. I think we Americans are a bit behind the curve when it comes to global cultural customs. It's time to concur with real football, the metric system, international road signage, and get off our high horse pedistal of thinking we are better than everyone else due to our mighty military power and second to none clean puritanical 1st world quality of life. I seen much better quality of life and awesomely wordly culture in Western Europe.

A Korean told me there is a big event at City Hall Saturday evening he is attending. Watch it outside!
DeMayonnaise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AsiaESLbound wrote:
edshort wrote:
AsiaESLbound wrote:

Very interesting. I just found soccer is a colloquial abbreviation of association football. Much of what people say is American speaking is actually old English. Also our standard measuring system of feet and miles is old English. If you say football to your average American, except me, they think about a very different game played with a brown leather rugby looking ball. I think we Americans are a bit behind the curve when it comes to global cultural customs. It's time to concur with real football, the metric system, international road signage, and get off our high horse pedistal of thinking we are better than everyone else due to our mighty military power and second to none clean puritanical 1st world quality of life. I seen much better quality of life and awesomely wordly culture in Western Europe.

A Korean told me there is a big event at City Hall Saturday evening he is attending. Watch it outside!

That's horse s___! 'Merica SETS the global cultural customs. Who cares what some Frenchy is doing over in his land. Real 'Merica does exactly what real 'Merica wants to do: not learning foreign languages, keeping imgrants out, and not giving a rats behind about this stupid sport called soccer. Real men play football. or Nascar.
brier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah, only for the South Korean matches. Try watching some other game outside: non existent. Hub-a-bub-bub....
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brier.....find me a country that shows World Cup Games outside for mass audiences when that country's team is NOT playing.

I am sure the list is long.... Laughing
smithy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given a leaflet at the bus stop this morning saying they'll be showing the game on the big screen on the river. Nice location. Although the forecast sucks.
Confused Canadian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some info on public venues:

http://www.theyeogiyo.com/Entertainment/Sports/Professional/World-Cup.php#2
Quote:

In Seoul:

City Hall Plaza (Gwanghwamun Square) � large screens will be set up with performers and thousands of people for Korea�s matches at this, the most famous cheering section in the nation. Be cautious of the large crowds, the full subway trains and buses, and difficult to access bathrooms!

COEX Mall (Samseong Station) � A huge gathering of Red Devils fans who are ditching the Hyundai-sponsored City Hall will make COEX a popular (and the �official fans�) spot to be. Bonus � you can grab some On the Border and margaritas pre-game.

See more here � Red Devils Turn Back on Corporate Events: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/06/08/2010060801218.html

Noeul Park at World Cup Park � A camping event (that�s definitely sold out) will take place at World Cup Park � but you can still take in the game on five enormous screens. This link tells more about the event, but you�ll have to translate it: http://www.asiae.co.kr/news (Google Translation)

Ttukseom: The riverside stage at Ttukseom can hold 5,000 people and will host a World Cup cheering festival/viewing party with celebratory performances�including some famous singers.

Seoul Racecourse Park � This Park, in Gwacheon, hosts an outdoor viewing party with one of the finest high definition displays in the country. Be there on June 12th or June 17th to cheer with the masses. 123

Sam Ryan�s Sports Bar and Grill, Itaewon � these guys are promising to show every game � even the 3:30 a.m. matches (don�t act like you won�t be up at that time anyway)

Wolfhound Pub in Itaewon will show games at 8:30, 11 and 3:30 a.m � including the infamous England vs. USA game at 3:30 a.m. on June 12th/June 13th.
Kaypea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's super rainy today. It doesn't seem comfortable to watch outside.

Hey, will the game be streaming on Naver or anything? I don't have cable
isisaredead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brier wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, only for the South Korean matches. Try watching some other game outside: non existent. Hub-a-bub-bub....

how on earth is that a surprise?
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Some people are always surprised.....by everything.
WTP Trust

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Quote:

Some people are always surprised.....by everything.

I'm surprised a little blond haired midget could find a Korean girl who would marry him.

What does this have to do with anything? I'm just saying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: