Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jung Chul English academy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farzfive

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Jung Chul English academy Reply with quote

I received an offer for a position at the Jeoncheol English academy, but Google doesn't show anything for this school, and auto corrects my search to Jung Chul English academy.

Jung Chul English academy shows up on several blacklists, so I want to get this cleared up!

EDIT: The school is in fact part of the Jung Chul franchise.

Last edited by farzfive on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
huffdaddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeoncheol English academy vs. Jung Chul English academy Reply with quote

farzfive wrote:
Are these the same academies?

I received an offer for a position at the Jeoncheol English academy, but Google doesn't show anything for this school, and auto corrects my search to Jung Chul English academy.

Jung Chul English academy shows up on several blacklists, so I want to get this cleared up!

One would be 전철 the other 중출. But get the address just to make sure.
farzfive

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the recruiter confirmed my worst fears:

Quote:
Jeongcheol is jungchul English academy and it is one of the biggest branches in Korea.

Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad Mad This is my second job offer from a heavily blacklisted hagwon

Does anyone have any recent experience with this hagwon?

It wasn't hard for me to find all of the negative reviews on this site, although some of them seem to be dated.
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i work for jungchul and have worked for them in the past.

what I would say generally about hogwans (this one included) is that your experience will come down to how your boss, co-teachers and students are. Usually if your boss is an a-hole - your time will be tough. But not all a-holes will automatically buy into a franchise (such as Jungchul). Pay attention to specific places on blacklists not necessarily chains (unless its winter wonder land or what ever its called...).
Skippy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is which area. Jungchul is the name of a brand of schools. Each school will be different from another. The one I worked at was okay - not horrible but not the greatest. Little bit more detail!
farzfive

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offer I am looking at is in Dangsan-dong, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul.
PUNK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have received an "offer" to work for the Jungchul school in Suji. Has anyone had any or heard any experiences at this location? The previous foreign teacher is leaving due to "personal reasons" and they need someone right away.. My recruiter wants me to send over my VISA documents right away so they can tell the director I am ready to go but I havent received a contract or even had an interview yet.. I'm a little pressed for time to get over there but not sure what to do . Any advice would be helpful!
jendaejeon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished my contract with JungChul school in Techno Valley, Daejeon. I would really suggest not ever going to work for this school - the whole year teaching wise was pretty horrible, a lot of the materials I was expected to teach were Korean grammar, or pretty much Korean translation. Phone teaching was pretty awful and my boss was terrible too with almost zero English. I could forget all of that and just write of the year but having just finished, she refused to pay any more than half my plane ticket, and removed about a million from my bonus with no real reason, claiming "cleaning"....

I can't say about other schools, but if you are planning on moving to that area of Daejeon for a JungChul school, save yourself a lot of bother and don't go!!!!
djz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PUNK wrote:
I too have received an "offer" to work for the Jungchul school in Suji. Has anyone had any or heard any experiences at this location? The previous foreign teacher is leaving due to "personal reasons" and they need someone right away.. My recruiter wants me to send over my VISA documents right away so they can tell the director I am ready to go but I havent received a contract or even had an interview yet.. I'm a little pressed for time to get over there but not sure what to do . Any advice would be helpful!
If you send the docs before signing a contract they're gonna say the position is no longer available and they'll start offering stuff by the DMZ.
refugee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience of the JungChul School in Changwon?
soundproject

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Jungchul, Yangsan Campas, Gwangju Reply with quote

Hi all,
Has anyone worked at Jungchul School, Yangsan campus in Gwangju?
Any info on this particular branch would be much appreciated.
It seems it can be a hit and miss at lot of Hagwon chains, where your experiences can come down to your boss, co-teachers and conditions. But then I would guess it also depends on which Hagwon chain it is??
Please impart whatever you know about it, the good, bad and ugly included!
Thanks guys
nomadcanuck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I worked at a Jungchul school in Changwon in 2007-08. The director's name was SungMin. It was a shit place to work and he screwed me over. The majority of the textbooks are so formulaic, the kids hated them and it made the whole thing such an awful struggle. Don't recommend it at all.
movybuf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

farzfive wrote:
The offer I am looking at is in Dangsan-dong, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul.

I worked at this branch for two weeks as a temp job while the new teacher was getting all their documents squared away. This was maybe three years ago, so I dont know if the owner has changed since then. I was very pleased with my short time there. The teachers all seemed happy. The books at Jung Chul are not the greatest. However the system is extremely easy to teach, almost bordering on boring. The owner took both my wife and I out for dinner when I accepted the position and again after I finished my two weeks. They even gave me a nice bottle of wine. All in all a very positive experience.

This branch is also associated with the recruiting company ESL Agent. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the agency that is trying to hire you.
Dog Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a JungChul adademy (in CheongJu) and my 'franchise' is fine. It's not the greatest job in the world, but it's fine. I work 30 hours a week, sometimes more as paid overtime. Little to no prep time expected, all books and materials provided for.

Your best bet is to speak to the native teacher who is there now and get their feedback.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Jung Chul English academy Reply with quote

farzfive wrote:

EDIT: The school is in fact part of the Jung Chul franchise.

I believe, if I am not mistaken, is this the academy where the famous owner of it was very ill a few years ago? Anyway, I believe a friend said that he was trying to cheat her out of pension, her and another Canadian did not like working there. I am not in touch with that friend, but she did complain a lot about Jung Chul. The name sounds right. If it's on several blacklists, it's for a good reason. You don't want to believe some employers are horrible, but they can be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: