Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Assault (Rape) in Ulsan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Sexual Assault (Rape) in Ulsan Reply with quote

I regret to inform everyone that there was an incident in Ulsan last Saturday night (well, early Sunday morning) that I need to write about. I'd like to take the opportunity to make recommendations in the event that this scenario occurs to you or to anyone you know. My friend has authorized me to write this on her behalf as she�d like to remain anonymous. The details I�ve included won�t identify her in any way but are detailed enough to be of use.

A friend of mine (female foreigner, I am a male foreigner) was sexually assaulted (raped) by a Korean man on the street around 4:30 in the morning. She was walking home on a popular but not busy at the time street when a man in a car got out, pulled her aside and sexually assaulted her. No need for more details, you can imagine what happened. She immediately went home, informed me, and we called the police. Fortunately, I speak some Korean and was able to describe the situation. Within minutes we were picked up by a patrol car who took us to the Ulsan Women's Crisis Center. My friend was taken to the hospital for a health inspection and DNA samples, given medication (penicilin plus morning after pill), and taken back to the Crisis Center for her detailed description of events.

Fortunately, because the street was very popular CCTV cameras had been installed. Based on her description of the car they checked the video files, grabbed the number plate, and the man was arrested at his home mere hours later. He admitted to it and is currently in jail. He will go to prison for a number of years.

My friend is currently fine and has been strong throughout the ordeal.

Now, if this occurs to you or to someone you know I have some pieces of advice.

1. Report it as soon as possible. The police number is 112 and they sometimes speak English. If they don't speak English then you can try this number 02-790-7561 which is listed as International Emergency Rescue for foreigners in Korea. I haven't tried it so if someone has a better number for English emergency service post a message and I will append this one.

It is absolutely crucial to report this sort of crime. Do not be embarrassed or shamed because it's not the victim�s fault. The regret that you would have of not reporting it would probably be immense and there would be no chance of the perpetrator being caught. Report it, stay strong as the hospital checks you, and remember that you're doing the right thing. Just think that you could be preventing something like this from occurring again

It might seem futile to report the crime (I didn�t expect that he would be caught at all until they told me there was CCTV) but do it anyway.

2. As soon as you can, write down a detailed description of the perpetrator and the play-by-play of the assault. Do this ASAP so that it is fresh in your memory. This will be difficult but you must do this to help the police. It may be difficult to get through; if so, skip the difficult parts and fill them in shortly afterwards.

3. Don't worry about being embarrassed or feel shame. This sort of crime, although not common, does happen to many people. The Korean police officers we dealth with (patrol men and the three detectives that helped us), the Ulsan Crisis Center workers, and the hospital workers were both professional and extremely sympathetic. In no way did they make my friend or I uncomfortable in any way. Try to relax and realize that you are in good hands.

In summary, bad stuff happens sometimes. If you know how to react when it occurs you will be able to get through the difficult ordeal with as little pain as possible. And you WILL get through it.

Feel free to disseminate this information to others that you know (including Korean women, as they might not know of the Crisis Centers).

Emergency Contact Numbers
112 Police (call this first, possibly no English service)
International Emergency Rescue 02-790-7561 (for English service)

Ulsan Women�s Crisis Center 052-244-3117 or 052-246-3117
Located next to Dong-gang Hospital in Taehwa-dong.
(울산 OneStop 지원센터)

Here is a list of all the Crisis Centers in Korea:
http://www.bsonestop.or.kr/board/board_02.php
Seoul: 02-3400-1117
Busan: 051-507-1170
Gangwon: 033-243-8117
Chungbuk: 043-272-7117
Junbok: 063-278-0117
Incheon: 032-582-1170
Daegu: 053-556-8117
Gyeongbuk: 054-843-1117
Ulsan: 052-244-3117
Chungnam: 042-280-8436
Junnam: 062-225-3117
Gyeongnam: 055-244-8117
Jeju-do: 064-749-5117
Gyeonggi: 031-216-1117

In conclusion, if this happens to you, contact one of these numbers or the police ASAP. Do not just sit there and try and forget about it. Trust me and my friend, you will regret it. And feel free to PM me for additional information. If you can't PM, leave a post and I'll message you.
offtheoche

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sexual Assault (Rape) in Ulsan Reply with quote

jonpurdy wrote:
the man was arrested at his home mere hours later. ]He will go to prison for a number of years.

A sad tale for sure. I hope for you and your friend's sake that the guy does get a number of years in jail..........I do have my doubts though. Expect your friend to be offered some cash soon....to let this thing go away. Sad
JBomb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear some justice was done. A friend of mine in Busan fought off a man who broke into her home and tried the same thing. The police were nowhere near as helpful and it took the US Embassy to get anything moving. All in all though I am glad your friend is pulling through OK. It sickens me some of the creeps that are out there.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The detective mentioned that he would absolutely go to prison for three or four years, possibly more if they found out he was drinking. I asked about the possibility that he would try to offer blood money but the detective said it was unlikely. Even if it was offered my friend wouldn't take it and the guy would be put away.

I've heard stories about stuff like that happening but didn't at all get that impression from the officers I spoke with. The also mentioned that in Ulsan, approx. 70% of perpetrators get caught and do time. It seemed high to me but I guess the type of people that do that aren't particularly intelligent and can get caught easily.
offtheoche

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonpurdy wrote:
The detective mentioned that he would absolutely go to prison for three or four years, possibly more if they found out he was drinking.

You gotta be kidding me? Sorry but that doesn't sound right at all. If the guy was drunk, then that's likely to try to be used to get him off the hook.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offtheoche wrote:
jonpurdy wrote:
The detective mentioned that he would absolutely go to prison for three or four years, possibly more if they found out he was drinking.

You gotta be kidding me? Sorry but that doesn't sound right at all. If the guy was drunk, then that's likely to try to be used to get him off the hook.

My initial though too. The detective was a bit disappointed that they didn't pick him up earlier because the effects of the alcohol might've worn off by the time they got him. Disappointed because he wouldn't go to prison for longer.
Jake_Kim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The influence of alcohol is usually an excuse for the rapist, so the additional punishment the police had mentioned might have something to do with DUI. Without causing a traffic accident, first-time DUI itself gets a slap on the wrist.
That scumbag had better have been lucid so that he can be put away for extra few years. If the police can prove the assault was premeditated or if he's an ex-con, his jail time can go up to 7 years since the court has been getting a little tougher on rape cases recently. An attempted rape under influence got 3.5 years last February in Ulsan.
Radius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bet this didnt make the news
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radius wrote:
i bet this didnt make the news

Why would it? This happens to Korean women more often and that doesn't make the news.

Both the police and the crisis center were so helpful that there's nothing to really report on. If they made mistakes or were unhelpful like in previous cases I might be interested in media attention but they were basically perfect. I can't imagine them doing a better job or being more helpful or sensitive to what occurred. And the guy was caught and will do time.

The only reason I'd want this in the media is to raise awareness of what to do in the event that it happens to you or someone you know.
joeteacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear about your friend, truly horrible. Really glad to know that he was caught and that she was treated well by the authorities and women's center. I'm actually impressed at how quickly they picked him up. Also, kudos to you OP for helping her out and for your informative post.
oldtactics

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing else to say besides thanks for being there for her. I'm glad she had a support system who could help her through everything, and I'm glad to hear that she's doing okay despite the ordeal.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a truly sad tale. The OP and victim have both been very courageous. Both of you should feel proud of how you handled this terrible situation.
Jane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth is, we all need a reminder now and then that these things happen.

I remember years ago when I lived in Ulsan, in the middle of the night a man busted in to my Korean co-worker's apartment and tried to take advantage of her. Luckily, she screamed and punched and fought him off, and he ran away.
She was really shaken up the next day at work.
mcviking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live in Ulsan and have heard stories of girls getting groped by taxi drivers. I hope the scum pays dearly.
redaxe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane wrote:
Truth is, we all need a reminder now and then that these things happen.

Yes, and it's also time to stop thinking of Korea as a country that is so safe that women can walk around (or take cabs) alone at night. It's just not that safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: