Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreigners not allowed inside club ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you start seeing yourself as Martin Luther King Junior being asked to sit t the back of bus. You need to understand some things first. Night clubs here are not like back home. Actually in a sense some nightclubs back home will be restrictive in who they let in aka beautiful people only apply.

But the thing is some clubs are not the type of you pay a cover and go in it is more likely you go in with a group pay a huge fee for a table and pay for a set of drinks/food. Waygooks have tendency to strike out in single and or pairs thus giving the bar lost money sitting them at a table.

Some places just refuse a waygook because it is easier then dealing with the person. They do not understand how the system works. Pay up front or pay later. They prefer groups and so on. Include language barrier true you may be fluent by they will error on the side of that you don't. Why make trouble later by saying no know.

True some places do refuse on prejudice that waygooks will be trouble. Here is the thing sometimes waygooks are trouble. They skip out on paying (either by mistake/drunkenness and or basic crookedness). Cause fights (drunkenness and asshole behavior) or fights are caused because of them (how dare that waygook dance with a Korean girl).

Also the libertarian side of me says a business can restrict who ever they want.

I am all for naming and shaming. What is the name of the bar/club.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy has good points.

Booking clubs commonly don't let foreigners in unless they are accompanied by Koreans. These clubs have totally different rules than regular dance clubs and most foreigners aren't aware of them. You gotta go with a group, buy a food plate and set of alcohol, get a table, etc. This stuff isn't expensive when split between three or four guys but some foreigners go in thinking they can order a draft beer and be done with it. Not the case.

I've never had trouble getting into a booking club with a group of foreigners and Koreans, nor have I had trouble getting into a regular dance club.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also foreigner-only clubs. We can discriminate against them so in a weird sense its "fair".

The capitalist side of me sees this as dumb because green is green (or in Korea's case, green, yellow, red, and blue)

The libertarian side of me says "meh, its their place"

The moral side of my reminds me that I should never step into those places to begin with nor desire to.
sulperman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonpurdy wrote:

These clubs have totally different rules than regular dance clubs and most foreigners aren't aware of them. You gotta go with a group, buy a food plate and set of alcohol, get a table, etc. This stuff isn't expensive when split between three or four guys but some foreigners go in thinking they can order a draft beer and be done with it. Not the case.

This.

It makes sense, and if I was a club owner with no ability to explain the deal and a there was a very very high chance that the rules would not be followed, I would probably do the same thing.

That said, being turned away does feel really bad- I've been there a few times. Just forget about it until your Korean is good enough to explain that you want to pay 200K+ to decorate your table , or just forget it and go someplace where your business is appreciated.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Actually in a sense some nightclubs back home will be restrictive in who they let in aka beautiful people only apply.

And routinely use rules like "no baggy jeans" as a way to keep minorities out. I've frequently had situations where my jeans were no less baggy than buddies who were rejected from the same club I was allowed in to.
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to mention this also (clubs that Koreans are not allowed in unless accompanied by a foreigner)

But then I had a thought...all of those clubs that fit that bill that I am aware of are actually owned by Korean.

I wonder, what would happen if a foreigner were the actual owner of a "foreigner only" bar/club. Something tells me that would not fly..

Just a thought

Steelrails wrote:
There's also foreigner-only clubs. We can discriminate against them so in a weird sense its "fair".

The capitalist side of me sees this as dumb because green is green (or in Korea's case, green, yellow, red, and blue)

The libertarian side of me says "meh, its their place"

The moral side of my reminds me that I should never step into those places to begin with nor desire to.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are there foreigner only clubs?
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I know of is in Ulsan. Basically it is not a club but more like a "sexy bar" the caters to foreigners (mostly sailors from trading ships)that employs at least 15 Philipina women as "singers" and "waitresses".

No Koreans allowed unless accompanied by a foreigner, or friends of the owner, whom of course is Korean.
Smee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Before you start seeing yourself as Martin Luther King Junior being asked to sit t the back of bus. You need to understand some things first. Night clubs here are not like back home. Actually in a sense some nightclubs back home will be restrictive in who they let in aka beautiful people only apply.

But the thing is some clubs are not the type of you pay a cover and go in it is more likely you go in with a group pay a huge fee for a table and pay for a set of drinks/food. Waygooks have tendency to strike out in single and or pairs thus giving the bar lost money sitting them at a table.

Some places just refuse a waygook because it is easier then dealing with the person. They do not understand how the system works. Pay up front or pay later. They prefer groups and so on. Include language barrier true you may be fluent by they will error on the side of that you don't. Why make trouble later by saying no know.

True some places do refuse on prejudice that waygooks will be trouble. Here is the thing sometimes waygooks are trouble. They skip out on paying (either by mistake/drunkenness and or basic crookedness). Cause fights (drunkenness and asshole behavior) or fights are caused because of them (how dare that waygook dance with a Korean girl).

Also the libertarian side of me says a business can restrict who ever they want.

This.

It's not a human rights violation---I think, I hope, you were being sarcastic---and they ought to be free to allow or refuse entry to whomever they please.

Just take your business to one of the many places where it's welcome, and don't worry that you're missing anything (you're not, except for the occassional strip show).
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stoned wrote:
I want to know if it is legal to do that. Is it completely at owner's discretion to allow or not allow 'certain' people based on race or color? Can I start a night club here and not allow Koreans in it??

you long timers (and I mean really long timers) might remember when Nashville in Itaewon was "no Koreans allowed" policy. the owner (an ex-gi with a korean wife) had problems with Koreans. Well there was a ruckus about that and he had to change his policy

so a club can discriminate against foreigners with no problems but have the reverse happen and you'll get candlelight vigils

tinkling
discostu333

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't missing out on anything when it comes to these Korean style booking clubs.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coralreefer_1 wrote:
The one I know of is in Ulsan. Basically it is not a club but more like a "sexy bar" the caters to foreigners (mostly sailors from trading ships)that employs at least 15 Philipina women as "singers" and "waitresses".

No Koreans allowed unless accompanied by a foreigner, or friends of the owner, whom of course is Korean.

That club is literally about 30 seconds away from my house. I've never been but from what I hear it's not a place for cool young guys to go to. It's for old engineers with no wives and lots of money.
tardisrider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:

you long timers (and I mean really long timers) might remember when Nashville in Itaewon was "no Koreans allowed" policy. the owner (an ex-gi with a korean wife) had problems with Koreans.

I remember that very well--back when the Nashville was just in the basement and Itaewon was a very different place. I can't help but laugh at the people who think Itaewon is seedy now.

It was never really "No Koreans allowed"--it was "no unaccompanied Korean guys who might not mingle well with the G.I.s and no single Korean women who might be hookers." There were always loads of Korean women with their boyfriends/husbands and quite a few Korean men, usually KATUSAs with western friends/soldier buddies.
toby99

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

They skip out on paying (either by mistake/drunkenness and or basic crookedness). Cause fights (drunkenness and asshole behavior) or fights are caused because of them (how dare that waygook dance with a Korean girl).

This hits the nail on the head. We're talking about Korean nightclubs, here, and the bouncers will usually assume the waygooks don't understand the booking system and don't want to play charades trying to explain it. If you can speak Korean and show them you understand the system, they'll often let you in. Also, most clubs will have section hosts that go around to local restaurants passing out their business card with a piece of candy to get people to come to the club. Make friends with one of them and they'll let get you in.

Truth be told, though, you're better off not going usually. Overpriced fruit and whiskey await.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy is right.

OP: just go to another club.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: