Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Student took my phone number from my phone
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aske

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Student took my phone number from my phone Reply with quote

I brought this up to another teacher who told me not to take it so seriously. Unfortunately I couldn't adequately explain that a teenage girl having my cell phone number was improper. I spoke to another teacher (whom has the phone in her name) and asked if we could get the phone number changed. She said we could and that she'd do it tomorrow.

Does changing a phone number have any associated cost? My provider is qook show (is this the same as KT)?

This is the first problem I've had at this job (everyone has been amicable so far) and I'd like to avoid upsetting anyone. How can I adequately explain to the first teacher (the one whom had told me not to take the ordeal so seriously) the reason why I took it so seriously?

As an adjunct to that, did I take the ordeal too seriously? I don't see a reason why anyone should have my cell phone number without my permission, especially a student. There's just simply nothing good that can come from a student having my cell phone number and there's no reason why they should have it.

Last edited by aske on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Radius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont worry, i have more students' phone numbers in my phone than my friends numbers. Its totally fine, unlike in the West. Sometimes they may call you for homework or to tell you they aren't coming in that day, and ive even got plenty of "hi teacher" texts from my students. This was new to me at first, but totally common play in Korea.
aske

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radius wrote:
dont worry, i have more students' phone numbers in my phone than my friends numbers. Its totally fine, unlike in the West. Sometimes they may call you for homework or to tell you they aren't coming in that day, and ive even got plenty of "hi teacher" texts from my students. This was new to me at first, but totally common play in Korea.

It may be common, but I still don't see a reason for it. Like I said, there's no reason for a student to have my phone number. As a stranger in a foreign country, I feel I need to obviate all potential problems to protect myself. I'm a nice person and believe I have a good sense of whom to trust, but just as I wouldn't sign a contract with nothing but someone's assurance that there won't be any problems, I also can't accept a personal assurance that it's not a problem and I'm taking it too seriously.
northway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really wouldn't bother me enough to get my number changed. I'd probably tell my co-teacher/manager (depending on the workplace) about it, thus covering my ass, and laugh about it afterwards.
Vagabundo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aske wrote:
Radius wrote:

It may be common, but I still don't see a reason for it. Like I said, there's no reason for a student to have my phone number. As a stranger in a foreign country, I feel I need to obviate all potential problems to protect myself. I'm a nice person and believe I have a good sense of whom to trust, but just as I wouldn't sign a contract with nothing but someone's assurance that there won't be any problems, I also can't accept a personal assurance that it's not a problem and I'm taking it too seriously.

sure you can.

I'm giving you my personal assurance you're taking it WAY TOO SERIOUSLY.

you're not Brett Favre and she's not Jenn Sterger.

I was doing a "what's your phone number" q and a for one of my after school classes, I modeled the q and a and immediately thereafter one of my male students called my cellphone (from class). It was funny. One of the girls was working her phone and it's possible she may have input it into hers.

Am I concerned? not in the SLIGHTEST.

of course, should you have some "history" we're unaware of, then I can understand your phobia a little better.
aske

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vagabundo wrote:
of course, should you have some "history" we're unaware of, then I can understand your phobia a little better.

This type of reaction or response is the problem with mentioning why I don't want my students to have my phone number (I say that without reproach toward you, mind you). That is, it demonstrates the problem with expressing my concerns; I don't have any 'history', I just take precautions whether it's with a clause in a contract or otherwise. I think in U.S. public schools if a student got hold of a faculty member's phone number it would need to be reported to administrators to protect both the school and its faculty.

Besides, I only have two phone numbers stored in my phone and I keep getting annoying spam texts (does anyone else get these and do they incur a charge for texting?).

Last edited by aske on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Vagabundo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aske wrote:
Vagabundo wrote:

This type of reaction or response is the problem with mentioning why I don't want my students to have my phone number (I say that without reproach toward you, mind you). I think it demonstrates the problem with expressing my concerns; I don't have any 'history', I just take precautions whether it's an ambiguous clause in a contract or otherwise. Besides, I only have two phone numbers stored in my phone and I keep getting annoying spam texts (does anyone else get these and do they incur a text charge?).

I didn't mean to suggest you actually had a "history", but I do find your phobia entirely unreasonable.

that said, you're entitled to your personal, yet unreasonable phobias.

an ex student has my phone number. he's called me a couple of times or texted from college, I get a kick out of that and really enjoy it because it hasn't become onerous, just occassional hi, what's up, etc. I don't think I'd feel much differently if that student were a girl (obviously I'm male)

re your spam question, sorry but you're screwed. I'm bombarded with that crap (you can thank your Korean phone company for selling your number to spammers/advertisers). I suspect everyone gets them.

your charge question is interesting though. I've never thought of that.
That would make it REALLY annoying (if I was actually charged for this nonsense), but based on my bills I don't think you are.
bobbybigfoot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, chillax.

You must be fresh off the boat.

This is NO big deal.
thegadfly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aske,

I would be very upset if that were to happen to me, though I am curious how the student got ahold of your phone in the first place -- did the student go into your desk/bag and take the phone out?

However, here, it really is no big deal. The principal of my school has even (unfortunately) given my phone number out to students...she didn't see the problem with it until I told her to just never do it again (in very direct language and strident tones). Her response was "this isn't America," which, while true, doesn't mean students get to call me whenever they feel like it....

I would suggest you not worry about it...but change your number Smile

Vaga,

The OP's concern is not a "phobia." Any male that has taught in the US should be having a similar reaction to a student getting his cellphone number -- it would be bad, all bad, all over bad, no good whatsoever...here it is no big deal, true, but back there, it is a potentially teaching-career-ending mistake.
tanklor1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aske wrote:
Vagabundo wrote:

This type of reaction or response is the problem with mentioning why I don't want my students to have my phone number (I say that without reproach toward you, mind you). That is, it demonstrates the problem with expressing my concerns; I don't have any 'history', I just take precautions whether it's with a clause in a contract or otherwise. I think in U.S. public schools if a student got hold of a faculty member's phone number it would need to be reported to administrators to protect both the school and its faculty.

Besides, I only have two phone numbers stored in my phone and I keep getting annoying spam texts (does anyone else get these and do they incur a charge for texting?).

Wow, forgive my sarcasm for a moment as you are FOB.

This ain't no America. Schools be different over here as there are no metal detectors or random drug searches. There is barely a "class" system in school that puts students in cliques: say jocks with jocks and nerd with nerds.

It's okay, they're not criminals and they're not treated as such.

You can breathe without the fear of a pissed off parent storming in.

As for your phone: you're not charged for incoming texts and most likely those texts that you're receiving are merely harmless ads.

Be cool G, this be Asia. The worst you'll get is miscommunication with that co-teacher of yours. Focus on the teaching.

After all, you are a living embodiment of the the medium is the message over here.
oldfatfarang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry too mucch. If you're really concerned, get your co-teach to get the kids number and then block it on your phone. Problem solved.

I still have kids emailing me from 3 schools ago. Korean kids like to say "Hi" to their teachers, and it's usually around test time that I get an email from them (probably need some reassurance from a teacher who's been kind to them in the past).

However, I've had trouble with previous students (young girla) asking to meet me, and wanting photos of me. I usually fix that by sending them a pic of Homer Simpson, and then the emails stop.
nfld_chingu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want any of my students to have my cell number, because it's inappropriate imo ... but if it happened, I wouldn't go so far as to change my #. I know plenty of teachers that don't mind giving their # out to students, but I'm not one of them.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a novel idea. If the student calls, just block the number.

Relax. The student obviously likes you as a teacher or wants to practice English more.
MalFSU1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear that if you consider one student getting your phone number to be a "problem" at your work, you may be in for some serious issues down the road when real problems arise. I think it's nice when the students want my number, the most they've ever done is send a silly text with smiley faces to say hi. If it does bother you, however, just block the number if they contact you. A whole new number seems a bit overkill to me.
tanklor1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalFSU1 wrote:
I fear that if you consider one student getting your phone number to be a "problem" at your work, you may be in for some serious issues down the road when real problems arise. I think it's nice when the students want my number, the most they've ever done is send a silly text with smiley faces to say hi. If it does bother you, however, just block the number if they contact you. A whole new number seems a bit overkill to me.

I agree the problems that you'll face over here are going to be so different than what you're used to: based mainly on the two little facts: 1. This culture is not the same and 2. basic communication is sometimes hard to pull off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: