Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-2 visa restrictions to change in the future?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: E-2 visa restrictions to change in the future? Reply with quote

I was having lunch with some friends today and one of them said he heard through the people he works with (their sources were apparently people in immigration) that some time next year the E-2 restrictions 9n employment are going to lifted. In other words, people owning E-2s will be able to control their own visa just like in Japan. Furthermore, they can do privates and work any number of jobs.

I told him that I simply do not believe it and I still don't. If that were to happen then the F-series visa would basically be rendered useless. The only thing that I could make sense of such a policy change is that it would bring prices down because F-series visa holders would have to compete with others who are willing to teach privates for less. It would make sense for the Korean consumer actually. If it did happen sucks to the people looking to get married banking on their visa status to get them good work.

Has anyone heard any of these types of rumours?
vitald

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy I met at a Halloween party last night told me the same thing, that E-2 visa restrictions will change, allowing E-2s to work privates and other jobs. He said that he had read it on a Korean online newssite. Unfortunately, I don't have a link, so if someone does, please post it.
sigmundsmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: E-2 visa restrictions to change in the future? Reply with quote

misher wrote:
I was having lunch with some friends today and one of them said he heard through the people he works with (their sources were apparently people in immigration) that some time next year the E-2 restrictions 9n employment are going to lifted. In other words, people owning E-2s will be able to control their own visa just like in Japan. Furthermore, they can do privates and work any number of jobs.

I told him that I simply do not believe it and I still don't. If that were to happen then the F-series visa would basically be rendered useless. The only thing that I could make sense of such a policy change is that it would bring prices down because F-series visa holders would have to compete with others who are willing to teach privates for less. It would make sense for the Korean consumer actually. If it did happen sucks to the people looking to get married banking on their visa status to get them good work.

Regarding F-series becoming useless. Im not sure about that. Correct me if Im wrong but dont they just have to go to the immigration office to renew their visa every two years. Dont they have access to different things in Korea that an E2 doesnt have.

Now, if your talking about the prices coming down for doing privates well that may well happen. But if you are good at what you do people will pay. THough I cant see that drastically happening. Hagwons were already bringing down their hourly rate for part time work for F visas over the last year because of the over supply of teachers.

If it did come about that the current restrictions would be lifted, I would assume that hagwon bosses would be screaming to leave it the way it is. Wouldnt they loose control of E2 visas, and does that mean it would be easier for an E2 to quit and not leave the country when they want to find a new job?

Obviously we havent heard all the details about the changes but it will be interesting to see what they will be
northway

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of hagwons would probably like it, as it would allow smaller places with less demand to employ an English teacher as needed rather than having to choose between having an NET and shelling out a ton of money to keep them around (when demand might not necessitate it) or not having one at all. Allowing E-2s to work multiple jobs would open up a middle ground for a lot of businesses.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: E-2 visa restrictions to change in the future? Reply with quote

misher wrote:

Yes. Each and every year I have been here.
lion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did hear the same line from my agent, who says he read/saw/heard it on the news. (Of course I didn't promptly offer to drop my rates!^^)

Anybody have a pointer to an online article or anything?
broonie30

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read something the other day about rules being relaxed so E-2's can teach at other private companies. Sounds similar?!

http://www.koreaherald.com/business/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20101026000784
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: