Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Four Hour Body
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kepler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: The Four Hour Body Reply with quote

"The 4-Hour Body is the result of an obsessive quest, spanning more than a decade, to hack the human body. It contains the collective wisdom of hundreds of elite athletes, dozens of MDs, and thousands of hours of jaw-dropping personal experimentation....

"YOU WILL LEARN (in less than 30 minutes each):
How to lose those last 5-10 pounds (or 100+ pounds) with odd combinations of food and safe chemical cocktails.

"* How to prevent fat gain while bingeing (X-mas, holidays, weekends)
* How to increase fat-loss 300% with a few bags of ice
* How Tim gained 34 pounds of muscle in 28 days, without steroids, and
in four hours of total gym time
* How to sleep 2 hours per day and feel fully rested
* How to produce 15-minute female orgasms
* How to triple testosterone and double sperm count
* How to go from running 5 kilometers to 50 kilometers in 12 weeks
* How to reverse 'permanent' injuries
* How to add 150+ pounds to your lifts in 6 months
* How to pay for a beach vacation with one hospital visit"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EI2EH2/ref=yml_dp

I've been reading this book on my kindle. It was released last week. Very fascinating. A lot of it is based on years of experiments by the author himself. On his blog, you can see pictures of the author before and after he gained 34 pounds of muscle in 4 weeks-
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/29/from-geek-to-freak-how-i-gained-34-lbs-of-muscle-in-4-weeks/
Louis VI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Four Hour Body Reply with quote

Kepler wrote:
... chemical cocktails.

* How to sleep 2 hours per day and feel fully rested

I hear a duck.
Italy37612

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it sounds too good to be true...
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

written by Judah Friedlander?
nobbyken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered paperback, expect it in a few weeks.
The sperm count was done by removing his cell phone from his front pocket!
Tests appeared it was lowering this fit guys count which can also lead to cancer of the bollock.
Kepler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the book, you can get by on two hours of sleep a day if those two hours consist of six 20 minute naps (one nap every four hours). It's called polyphasic sleep.

Experiments with rats in Europe have shown that exposure to cell phone radiation impairs sperm production. The author was able to almost triple his sperm count per ejaculate and increase his ejaculate volume by 44% by simply keeping his cell phone in an arm band rather than in the front pocket of his pants.

Michael Phelps was able to eat a 12,000 calorie a day diet and not get fat. Exercise alone couldn't explain this. Even running a marathon would burn less than 3,000 calories. Michael Phelps was in cold water several hours daily which forced his body to burn more calories to keep warm. For the same reason, people who hike to the top of Mount Everest often eat whole sticks of butter regularly to prevent dramatic weight loss. The author makes some suggestions about how to use temperature to increase weight loss- such as taking a cold shower daily and taking a 20 minute bath in ice water daily.

I've started following the author's slow carb diet which consists mainly of meat, eggs, beans, and vegetables. Fruit, pasta, potatoes, rice, bread and liquid sources of calories (milk, beer, juice, soda etc.) are forbidden. But you are allowed one cheat day per week to binge on anything you like.
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Phelps also has more lean muscle mass than 3 regular people his size. He probably burns more calories resting than you and I do playing a game of pickup basketball.

This guy mentions "four hours of gym time"...how much time did he spend exercising OUTSIDE of the gym? A lot of the training I do can be done anywhere, using body weight and/or minimal training gear.
Skyblue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Tim Ferris annoying. I read his "Four Hour Workweek" a while back (downloaded for free in .pdf format from gigapedia.com). Predictably, it is about opening online businesses to make thousands with no effort and then practicing "lifestyle design" -- a shallow concept of what a meaningful life is supposed to be. Mainly, he seems intent on showing up people with his constant boasting about "this week I'm paragliding in Uruguay, and next week I'm entering a ballroom dancing competition in Portugal, and then I'm off to Borneo to wrangle wild rhinos." Take a break and maybe he'd realize he's a dick.
calicoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! I'm going to try this program next month, after my biannual fast. First I'll get the body nice and detoxed, and then I'll try this regimen to firm up and get really lean.

Thanks for posting!
Some of the Mothers Said

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a father as a Professional Boxer, and being involved in this sport since I was a kid, it's all crap. This book falls into the category of the "Power Balance" sports bands with the "Holograms that are designed to work with your natural energy field."
As Italy37612 wrote "If it sounds too good to be true.." than it is.

As far as Phelps is concerned, Jeff Kotterman the director of the US National Association of Sports Nutrition, writes
"It's a combination of peak performance coupled with the fact that he has an enormous metabolism - he burns more calories sitting at a desk than a lot of people burn walking."
"Phelps, with an estimated 8% body fat, probably burns 1,000 calories per hour during his swimming training, compared to the equivalent exercise for an average person - vigorous walking - that would burn between 170 and 240 calories."
Sorry guys, we aren't Olympic athletes. Eat your fruit, veges, and some meat. Regular exercise, and stay away from the choco pies. It's as simple as that.
Kepler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the book as a scam. The author has been a national kickboxing champion in China, an adviser to professional athletes and Olympians, and a popular guest lecturer at Princeton.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/22401151/
Some of the Mothers Said

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm familiar with the guy. He's an entrepreneur, public speaker, and self help guru.
He's everything to everyone.

He speaks six languages!
Cage fighter in Japan, vanquisher of four world champions (MMA)
First American in history to hold a Guinness World Record in tango
Advisor to more than 30 world record holders in professional and Olympic sports
National Chinese kickboxing champion
Glycemic Index (GI) researcher Political asylum researcher and activist
MTV breakdancer in Taiwan
Hurling competitor in Ireland
Actor on hit TV series in mainland China and Hong Kong

Really, how can you resist! Guinness World record holder in tango (actually for the most Tango spins! ) Very Happy
A Hurler competitor in Ireland, (but was he a competitive Hurler) an actor, and an MTV breakdancer to boot.....WOW! Shocked

Let me see....How can I embellish my past, while making you feel fat and lazy.
I went surfing in Australia...Hmmmm...Yes.

Braved the shark infested waves of the only island continent in the world, and made the largest sand castle during lunch (prove that I didn't)

I went to the DMZ........

Eyeballed North Korean soldiers at the DMZ, and agreed with Bill Clinton (please notice the name drop) that this is the "scariest place on Earth."

You get the drift. ALL of these guys do it, because ALL of them want your money, and they all want you to feel like your life is a mistake UNLESS you read their book. Redemption is only a hardcover away.
Anyhow, it's your money. Good luck...Now where did I leave my Power Balance band, damn hologram isn't working....TIM!!!

p.s I'm not too familiar with the rules of "Kick boxing" in China, but I thought pushing people out of the ring was illegal, or it disqualifies the person pushed out? Tim's nickname was "Sumo" because that was his technique.
pkang0202

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Phelps is a physical freak of nature. No other swimmer in history has come close to his accomplishments. Did Michael Phelps practice more? Was his drive just better?

I think not. I am more inclined to believe that his body is an exceptional case, not the norm.

Much like Lance Armstrong. I remember reading his heart is like 30% bigger than the average man his size.

That's not to say Lance or Michael became great jsut because of their physique. They trained, and their drive and determination allowed them to achieve their maximum potential.

Its bull crap to say, "Michael Phelps burns 1000 calories an hour, and SO CAN YOU!"
SinclairLondon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
p.s I'm not too familiar with the rules of "Kick boxing" in China, but I thought pushing people out of the ring was illegal, or it disqualifies the person pushed out? Tim's nickname was "Sumo" because that was his technique.

I believe you get points for pushing the other guy out, no disqualification.
Skyblue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kepler wrote:
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the book as a scam. The author has been a national kickboxing champion in China, an adviser to professional athletes and Olympians, and a popular guest lecturer at Princeton.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/22401151/

This is complete BS self-promotion. He explains how to perpetuate these lies about yourself in order to drum up business in The Four Hour Workweek.

Basically, he did the kickboxing a decade ago, in a tournament for kids who were 20 pounds lighter than him, and was the only one to cut weight by dehydrating himself like most pro fighters do.

He freely admits it was a "national championship" in name only and that he would never be competitive today when the Chinese cut weight.

Guest lecturer at Princeton? He volunteers to talk about starting his first business once a year to an undergrad class (just to put this BS on his CV).

Don't buy this shyt dude.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: