Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English Teacher (31) Commits Suicide
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rchristo10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: English Teacher (31) Commits Suicide Reply with quote

Yesterday, Feb. 19th @ 6pm

http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/02/20/2011022000122.html?Dep1=news&Dep2=headline1&Dep3=h1_08

부산서 외국인 학원강사 하의 벗은 채 투신자살
Busan Foreign Language Teacher Leaps to His Death Naked From Waist Down

Quote:
19일 오후 6시께 부산 수영구 민락동의 한 아파트 14층에서 미국인 영어학원 강사 K(31)씨가 뛰어내려 숨진 것을 아파트 경비원이 발견해 경찰에 신고했다.

K씨는 하의를 모두 벗어 아파트 창문 밖으로 던졌으며 상의를 뒤집어쓰고 얼굴을 가린 채 투신했다.

K씨는 이달 15일 월급을 받고 나서 학원에 출근하지 않았으며 전날도 김해공항에서 술을 마시고 나서 소란을 피우다 학원 관계자에게 인계됐다고 경찰은 밝혔다.

경찰은 K씨의 숙소와 투신 현장에도 발견된 빈 소주병으로 미뤄 술을 마친 채 자살한 것으로 보고 정확한 경위를 조사하고 있다.

The gist is that a 31-year-old American English teacher, Mr. K, stripped naked from the waist down and jumped from the 14th floor of his apartment in Busan (Pusan for the pre-World Cup folks). The body was discovered by the apartment security guard. The teacher's language institute had paid him, but he didn't show up for work, went to the airport drunk and raised a ruckus according to an institute-related co-worker, which police later confirmed. They also later found several empty soju bottles in his room. The specific reasons for his suicide are still under investigation.

Sorry guys, I'm swamped with stuff to do. I literally had only about 5-minutes. So really didn't translate this properly! Just trying to keep you up to date on what's happening. Korea Herald and Korea Times will likely talk about it in 2 or 3 days. Wink

Sounds perhaps like he got kicked out of the airport and sent home via a call to his institute...and also a standard case of alcoholism.

Anyone know this guy?
BoholDiver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy had some issues obviously.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a bad way to go. Poor guy and more to the point, this will be hard on his family.
Skyblue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What help is there for foreign teachers. I mean there is no help line. There are a couple of counselors and psychologists in Seoul. Where should people go for help?

Last edited by Skippy on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ED209

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
What help is their for foreign teachers. I mean their is no help line. Their are a couple of counselors and psychologists in Seoul. Where should people go for help.

Good question. I guess if you have skype you can always call a centre back home like the Samaritans. Not sure what's available here.

Any news on who this guy was?
johgraker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terribly sad i hope we are not pushed to that extremes
Gnawbert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad indeed, he's exactly my age and I feel like that's still quite young. It's all speculation of course but it sounds like the last few hours or days of his life were rather rough, what with the soju bottles and the weird scuffle at the airport they reported.

On another note, I feel bad for the security guard as well. A coworker of mine was coming out of the bank when a man leapt off the a building of a similar height, clocked a railing and a tree and landed on the sidewalk right in front of him. Coworker was in shock for quite a while.
Skyblue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
What help is their for foreign teachers. I mean their is no help line. Their are a couple of counselors and psychologists in Seoul. Where should people go for help.

Home.
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyblue wrote:
Skippy wrote:

Home.

Yep a person is feeling depressed and suicidal, should pack up, buy a plane ticket and go back home.

The problem at times a person needs help right now - not two to three weeks later when they finally get to moms house.

Also have you considered that people might not have a home left in their home country. Parents are dead, estranged, or do not care.

Very trite answer skyblue.
Skyblue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're prepared to jump off a building, it probably better to pack it in and leave than to call a "help line" with a Korean on the other end who's going to tell you ... what exactly?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Skyblue wrote:
Skippy wrote:

Home.

Yep a person is feeling depressed and suicidal, should pack up, buy a plane ticket and go back home.

The problem at times a person needs help right now - not two to three weeks later when they finally get to moms house.

Also have you considered that people might not have a home left in their home country. Parents are dead, estranged, or do not care.

Very trite answer skyblue.

If we want a help line for expats, expats need to start their own helpline.

We're all big boys and girls here. It's up to us to be grown ups and put forth the efforts to create the services we desire, not for the Korean government to dedicate an entire department to baby us through life.

In order to start something like this we would need to talk to certified professionals in the field who would be willing to engage in such a thing. For this type of thing, in order to avoid liability, they would have to be licensed or have taken orders. Then we would need to secure funding and donations to support such an operation. Then we would have to partner with other organizations in getting proper outreach and in making people aware of our services. This is difficult, more so than just the steps I listed, but it is doable and certainly a worthy cause.
Smee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woefully offensive "article" about the suicide and the state of foreign English teachers in Korea:

http://populargusts.blogspot.com/2011/02/speechless.html
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
Woefully offensive "article" about the suicide and the state of foreign English teachers in Korea:

http://populargusts.blogspot.com/2011/02/speechless.html

Yep..

Quote:
Education is being crippled by native speaking instructors who are frequently absent, or who unilaterally break contracts.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This (the article) was a badly written editorial/report. The author is trying to make several points (some of them valid) but these are drowned out by the tone of the article, the incomplete information and the out of context quotes.

Shoddy job all around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: