Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Statistics For Breakdown of Nationalities of NETs' (Big 7) ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamada

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Statistics For Breakdown of Nationalities of NETs' (Big 7) ? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a link, which would show how many English teachers currently have an E1/E2 visa, broken down to show how many teachers hail from each individual country, of the big 7 English speaking countries.

Thanks all.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Statistics For Breakdown of Nationalities of NETs' (Big Reply with quote

Tamada wrote:
Does anyone have a link, which would show how many English teachers currently have an E1/E2 visa, broken down to show how many teachers hail from each individual country, of the big 7 English speaking countries.

Thanks all.

Poke around on the immigration website - it is there. The last reported year was 2009. I haven't seen 2010 stats yet.

PigeonFart

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you find the official stats, you should divide those numbers by the populations of the respective countries to come up with a percentage. That percentage will show you that some countries, although having smaller real numbers, have rather big numbers when viewed proportionally. That would be an interesting analysis. I must be a bit of a nerd. Very Happy
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very interesting. Canada has 30 million people compared to 300 million in the U.S. Why the disproportionately high number of Canadians here in Korea? Any guesses as to why this is?
minos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
It would be very interesting. Canada has 30 million people compared to 300 million in the U.S. Why the disproportionately high number of Canadians here in Korea? Any guesses as to why this is?

Not enough open spots on the Vancouver Canucks after loser the world cup.
WillTurnerinVanCity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:

There is no specific reason, but likely a number of causes.

For one thing, schools do like the Canadian accent. They find it to be more of a "neutral" accent, for whatever reason.

On that note - I do recall several times where I had student that learned English from Australians or from Kiwis, and I could hear it in the way they spoke English. Have any of you had that experience with students of Canadian teachers? I'm Canadian, so if a Korean student says "aboot" instead of "about" I might not even notice.

Another cause for the number of Canadians, recently, is that the documentation process is easier. The record checks come back faster, and there is no need to go for an apostille. So while the Americans are waiting for that FBI check to come in, or while the Brits are waiting 40 days or so, we can fill jobs with Canadians.

Lastly, and probably the most important reason, is that it is simply a common thing to do here. Before I went abroad, I talked to my cousin and a few other people who had done it. Everybody knows somebody who has taught overseas, be it Japan, Korea, or whatnot, and I don't think that is the case in the US. This is all based upon anecdotal information, mind you, but when I speak to somebody on the phone and they tell me how they had never heard of teaching ESL abroad, odds are they aren't a Canadian.
Tamada

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't find the info on Kimmi's website.

Anyone got a link?
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Canadians flock to Korea because of the high income taxes in Canada
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know U.S. income taxes are at their lowest level since 1950? Parts of Canada have really cold weather, too. Also, I think Canadians are better at learning foreign languages. If you are exposed to more than one language at a young age, changes occur in the development of gray matter, and you will be better able to learn another unrelated language such as Korean down the road in adulthood. Even notice how practically the only English teaching Westerners able to converse in Korean are kyopos and Canadians? The number of Americans, Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, etc who can speak decent Korean is virtually zero. Seriously, this (exposure to a language at a young age) matters a lot in a big way.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamada wrote:
Couldn't find the info on Kimmi's website.

Anyone got a link?

Didn't look very far or very hard. It is right on the front page.

news release: KIS statistics.

shostahoosier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Did you know U.S. income taxes are at their lowest level since 1950? Parts of Canada have really cold weather, too. Also, I think Canadians are better at learning foreign languages. If you are exposed to more than one language at a young age, changes occur in the development of gray matter, and you will be better able to learn another unrelated language such as Korean down the road in adulthood. Even notice how practically the only English teaching Westerners able to converse in Korean are kyopos and Canadians? The number of Americans, Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, etc who can speak decent Korean is virtually zero. Seriously, this (exposure to a language at a young age) matters a lot in a big way.

Thats interesting since most Canadians that I meet here cant even speak French. Laughing
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subject year 2008
breakdown of E2s and E1s by nationality and gender.

USA - E2 - 5406, E1 - 376 males.
USA - E2 - 3574, E1 - 92 females.
total E2 -8980

Canada - E2 - 2638, E1 - 88 males
Canada - E2 - 2197, E1 - 32 females
total E2 -4835

UK - E2 - 1113, E1 - 45 males
UK - E2 - 528, E1 - 5 females
total E2 -1641

Ireland - E2 - 199, E1 - 4 males
Ireland - E2 - 102, E1 - 0 females
total E2 -301

AUS - E2 - 383, E1 - 30 males
AUS - E2 - 209, E1 - 9 females
total E2 -592

NZ - E2 - 365, E1 - 7 males
NZ - E2 - 211, E1 - 2 females
total E2 -576

SA - E2 - 423, E1 - 19 males
SA - E2 - 519, E1 - 4 females
total E2 -942

nick70100

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2009 report is available here (beware, 900 page document):

http://iom-mrtc.org/stats/stats01_view.php?idx=802&PHPSESSID=73b05d3bb5ab8c6220713493d3b78d47

2010 report not released yet, but probably will be in the next month or two.

2009 numbers for E2 visas are:

USA 6,924 males 4,838 females: 11,762 total
Canada 2,605 males 2,210 females: 4,815 total
UK 1,402 males 637 females: 2,039 total
South Africa 529 males 745 female: 1,274 total
New Zealand 384 males 245 females: 629 total
Australia 373 males 175 females: 548 total
Ireland 285 males 154 females: 439 total

Total from English-speaking countries: 21,506

EDIT the numbers I posted before were wrong. I looked at the chart that listed entries into Korea, not number of residents. These are the correct numbers for 2009. Sorry about that, I was wondering why the numbers seemed so high.

Last edited by nick70100 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shostahoosier wrote:
World Traveler wrote:

Thats interesting since most Canadians that I meet here cant even speak French. Laughing

OK, so out of 100 English teachers who come to Korea, how many eventually end up fluent in Korean? Maybe three? And in all likelihood all three are Canadian. It is too big of a coincidence. Look, many Canadians were brought up bilingual, and very few American E-2ers were. (Latinos in the United States have a low college enrollment rate.) It has already been scientifically proven that a bilingual upbringing at a young age produces crucial changes in a child's brain, changes which persist for a lifetime. The younger learning another language the better. Those who were monolingual growing up lose plasticity in key areas of their brain. Even that genius among geniuses Madoka is unable to learn other languages. Why? Because he grew up monolingual. Once the window of opportunity closes you are S.O.L. Same with developing perfect pitch.

P.S., if you are wondering how adults around the world learn English, it is because they have been exposed to it their whole life and have been learning it as a compulsory subject since early elementary school. This is the case virtually everywhere on earth.

http://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/2009/02/12/english-is-not-a-foreign-language/0/

Does that answer your question?
sirius black

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fairly good number of English teachers I know speak very good or near fluent french and secondly spanish.

Many South Africans I know speak another dialect or language (Afrikaans, tribal language, etc.)

Incrasingly American college grads are speaking very good spanish. Its a smart move because of how important spanish is becoming important for the job market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: