Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breaking Bad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radcon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
I think we're about to see a lot more Biblical overlays in this series. Possibly some sort of 7 deadly sins type stuff.

Gus certainly seems like The Evil One.

I've always seen Walt as a Faustian character. Maybe his sin is pride?
Skyler- Greed
Marie- Sloth. Her theft and prosperity without labor.
Walt Jr.- Gluttony. Always eating. I see something bad with his food one day. Possibly the poison Walt whipped up.
Hank- Anger
Jesse- Envy. Always wishing he were someone else. Looking up to father figures.
Saul- Lust? He always seems to have vague associations with ladies of ill-repute.

Just some thoughts...But Vince Gilligan has said that this is ultimately a morality tale, so I think there might be an increasing focus on "divine judgment" and the like.

I don't think Skyler is greedy. Last season when she first found out about the drugs and money, she was very concerned that Walt was breaking rhe law and really wasnt interested in the money. I found this very odd. Many women in her position would just tell the husband to keep the cash coming and turn a blind eye to how the money is made.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
I think we're about to see a lot more Biblical overlays in this series. Possibly some sort of 7 deadly sins type stuff.

Gus certainly seems like The Evil One.

I've always seen Walt as a Faustian character. Maybe his sin is pride?
Skyler- Greed
Marie- Sloth. Her theft and prosperity without labor.
Walt Jr.- Gluttony. Always eating. I see something bad with his food one day. Possibly the poison Walt whipped up.
Hank- Anger
Jesse- Envy. Always wishing he were someone else. Looking up to father figures.
Saul- Lust? He always seems to have vague associations with ladies of ill-repute.

Just some thoughts...But Vince Gilligan has said that this is ultimately a morality tale, so I think there might be an increasing focus on "divine judgment" and the like.

I don't think Skyler is greedy. Last season when she first found out about the drugs and money, she was very concerned that Walt was breaking rhe law and really wasnt interested in the money. I found this very odd. Many women in her position would just tell the husband to keep the cash coming and turn a blind eye to how the money is made.

The latest episode would indicate she might care about money after all...
2i2dk1ny2i3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:

I don't understand his actions. Why did he say no to the cartel? Sounds like he's as egotistical as Walt. Why is he befriending Jesse?

he said no to the Cartel for one reason....Money if Gus can offer $50 million for no more Cartel interference, obviously there's A LOT more money at stake

don't think Gus is ego, he is Evil yet level headed

befriending Jesse?...well Walt suggested its to ultimately to get to him which makes sense

Walt - Only One who can make the Blue Stuff

Jesse - could in theory, eventually replace Walt (i.e. have him killed, he gets killed then Jesse could be a back up)

God i hope a Drug War starts Smile
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:

Maybe reverse lust and greed for Saul and Skyler. Skyler after all FTed. But that seemed more out of spite than lust...
recessiontime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no doubt that Skylar is breaking bad. she is being drawn into this whole thing because of her lust for power. I'm not sure if it started with her I.F.T or whether it started with her stumbling upon walt's bag of money. It's clear though that she is being drawn into this world because she is attracted to the prospect of having lots of money (as most people would be). She pretends to be covering for walt because she loves her family but the truth of the matter is she likes the money, she likes the idea of this dangerous lifestyle. Before she knew walt was rich and peddling drugs, she didn't care much for him. In the latest episode skylar is seen practically drooling on the floor at walt's money he brings in to the car wash...
Pa Jan Jo A Hamnida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Gus centric ep tonight. Nice to see Steven Bauer again but he only appeared in a flashback. So, no Wiseguy reunion with Jonathan Banks.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, last night episode rocked. Great show, need more.
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILER
Anyone else think that Gus' reaction to his "business" partner's death was a bit overemotional? I get the feeling that Gus may have a little sugar in his tank. In fact, I'll go on record and predict that Gus will be revealed as gay.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already knew he was gay because of his and his 'business partners' interactions (and his overemotional response in the flashback)

But yeah, I don't know about 'overemotional' - heck let me blow your friend's brains out right next to you when you're not expecting it, and lets see how you react! LOL
Louis VI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered Breaking Bad due to this thread and have watched all the episodes from seasons 1,2,3 and up to and including episode 8 of season 4 online via streaming for free over the last couple of weeks. I stopped reading this thread before watching it, at the first spoiler alert on the first page, drawn in by the early praise.

I think: Seasons 1 and 2 are pretty good and really anyone and everyone should stop watching after season 2 ends. Just like Prison Break, the end of season 2 is a natural and completely satisfying end.

Season 3 of Breaking Bad was a bloody waste of time except for the cool brothers and the window shield running gag. Season 4 makes me think: get it f'in' over with already. Kill off the characters. End our and their misery!

Walt is an irresponsible, impulsive, vain, narrow-minded self-interested low life who deserves to be put down; Jesse is a caring, suffering sinner who deserves to be put out of his misery. Really the whole cast of characters could go up in a blaze. The show has lost its compass.

I will skip watching any more of the series until the end of the season, and probably until the series is finished for good, then power through them to get them over with, get some closure.

Again, if you haven't finished with season 2 yet I HIGHLY recommend you stop watching at the end of season 2. THAT is exactly when this series deserved to die.
WadRUG'naDoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis VI wrote:
I discovered Breaking Bad due to this thread and have watched all the episodes from seasons 1,2,3 and up to and including episode 8 of season 4 online via streaming for free over the last couple of weeks. I stopped reading this thread before watching it, at the first spoiler alert on the first page, drawn in by the early praise.

I think: Seasons 1 and 2 are pretty good and really anyone and everyone should stop watching after season 2 ends. Just like Prison Break, the end of season 2 is a natural and completely satisfying end.

Season 3 of Breaking Bad was a bloody waste of time except for the cool brothers and the window shield running gag. Season 4 makes me think: get it f'in' over with already. Kill off the characters. End our and their misery!

Walt is an irresponsible, impulsive, vain, narrow-minded self-interested low life who deserves to be put down; Jesse is a caring, suffering sinner who deserves to be put out of his misery. Really the whole cast of characters could go up in a blaze. The show has lost its compass.

I will skip watching any more of the series until the end of the season, and probably until the series is finished for good, then power through them to get them over with, get some closure.

Again, if you haven't finished with season 2 yet I HIGHLY recommend you stop watching at the end of season 2. THAT is exactly when this series deserved to die.

But you're still going to watch it to the end. While everyone else should stop after season 2. OK.

Prison Break? Come on.
Louis VI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WadRUG'naDoo wrote:
But you're still going to watch it to the end. While everyone else should stop after season 2. OK.

I should have stopped after season 2. If only someone had advised me to! Do you realize how apt that would have been??????????? (Think, McFly, think!)

Now I've got all these new storyline strings in my head and the only way to end them forever is to see them through to the end. Like that bad movie my high school girlfriend refused to leave the theatre during: it was the DeNiro Cape Fear she hated but she said she HAD to see it through to the end or else she'll keep thinking about it. She needed the closure of the end. I now understand what she meant!

WadRUG'naDoo wrote:
Prison Break? Come on.

Come on? You think the Mexican jail third season really added to it? That anyone would have really lost out on anything if they had stopped at the natural ending of season 2? (JSC! Do you understand anything I'm saying wadarugoo?!)
northway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious how they get away with making El Pollo Loco as central to the plot as they do.
Louis VI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
I'm curious how they get away with making El Pollo Loco as central to the plot as they do.

Exclamation Have you seen the recent episode (s4e8)? It's one SICKENING LONG ADVERTISEMENT for the chicken! Mmmmm, what great Chilean chicken you make, not as spicy as our Mexican variety, but so good.

There are no less than FIVE episodes which praise the taste of the chicken chain.

They must have PAID for that kind of endorsement.

No such thing as bad press, especially when your business is a reputable and popular chain making what people want, and is presented that way. Yeah, there's crime in the show associated with the restaurant TANGENTIALLY. I bet there will NEVER be a single scene of violence in the restaurant or on the premises.

It's like watching Leave It To Beaver with the product placement. What next? Willy Wonka & the Hershey Chocolate Factory?
WadRUG'naDoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis VI wrote:
WadRUG'naDoo wrote:

I should have stopped after season 2. If only someone had advised me to! Do you realize how apt that would have been??????????? (Think, McFly, think!)

Now I've got all these new storyline strings in my head and the only way to end them forever is to see them through to the end. Like that bad movie my high school girlfriend refused to leave the theatre during: it was the DeNiro Cape Fear she hated but she said she HAD to see it through to the end or else she'll keep thinking about it. She needed the closure of the end. I now understand what she meant!

WadRUG'naDoo wrote:
Prison Break? Come on.

Come on? You think the Mexican jail third season really added to it? That anyone would have really lost out on anything if they had stopped at the natural ending of season 2? (JSC! Do you understand anything I'm saying wadarugoo?!)

I'm saying Prison Break sucked. I watched the first season, started to watch the second, and gave up because it was crappy.

Breaking Bad will finish next season. It's a quality show. After all, for whatever reason, you're watching it. Although I guess you watched all of the prison break seasons, so hard to rate it using your tastes. Ah, well. To each their own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 4 of 20

Jump to: