Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The OFFICIAL Motorcycle/Scooter thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 179, 180, 181  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of the bike riders here use shorty clutch and brake levers? Im thinking about upgrading to them, but worried I would hate the short clutch for all the traffic and lights

Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clutch-Brake-Levers-Honda-CBR900RR-Fireblade-1992-1999-/280702462546?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item415b2baa52
technique

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: BMW R1100S Reply with quote

Anyone out there with a 1998-2005 BMW R1100S?

I have ridden my CB400 Vtec all over this country for the last three years, and although I do love its small size, the wind fatigue of the 400 does get annoying at times. I'm thinking about picking up an R11S this spring for longer trips.

Does anyone out there have one that they would be willing to let me sit on and listen to? I'd rather talk with a fellow motorcyclist before going straight to a seller. Any information is appreciated.
RUBRUBBURNER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkjedidave wrote:
Do any of the bike riders here use shorty clutch and brake levers? Im thinking about upgrading to them, but worried I would hate the short clutch for all the traffic and lights

Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clutch-Brake-Levers-Honda-CBR900RR-Fireblade-1992-1999-/280702462546?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item415b2baa52

i put a set of pazzos on mine. i like them. adjustability is always nice and the feel is good. i would be wary of those cheap ones. they probably won't fit so nicely.
Hugo85

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to start my license in February. Will have to do theoratical + practical test.
v88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkjedidave wrote:
Landros wrote:
if you are not permitted there will be signs wit ha black motorcycle and rider with a big red line through it. just drive over and take a look before you plan the big ride.

I really hope they reverse these rules soon. At least allow 400cc or larger bikes on all roads in Korea. Each time I ride to the airport, I think about gunning my bike on the empty, straight lanes. Then again, that's rpobably way they ban it Laughing

The ban was started way back when 125cc bikes were almost the only thing you'd see on the roads and police did even less than they do now, so they simply ran a muck everywhere (sidewalks, expressways, children's day cares...not too much different than now minus the expressways). Rather than making an intelligent law banning only the 125cc culprits, the pres at the time just banned them all. It has stayed the same since despite bikes getting bigger and police officers getting more funding...yet still doing relatively nothing. In the rest of the world it's rather simple, 125s no, 250 and bigger, yes.
kingstonian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in korea 3 months and thinking of getting a 125 cc as I am really in need of transportation.

Could someone explain the process of getting licensed? I have a full UK drivers license (not international or with motorcycle endorsements) and an ARC card etc
v88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingstonian wrote:
I've been in korea 3 months and thinking of getting a 125 cc as I am really in need of transportation.

Could someone explain the process of getting licensed? I have a full UK drivers license (not international or with motorcycle endorsements) and an ARC card etc

Last I heard, you just have to bring in your licence and exchange it for a vehicle licence. There is supposed to be a special licence for 125c bikes, but I have no idea how this is being enforced. If it exists, all you have to do is pass a written test to get 125cc bikes added to your licence. You don't need to do a riding test until you get to the 250cc bikes. I suggest you just head on down to the local licencing office and get your paperwork started. It shouldn't be too hard. Let us know what happens.

Try this link for more info, but I have no idea how accurate it is.
http://www.korea4expats.com/article-motorcylce-license.html
technique

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v88 wrote:

Last I heard, you just have to bring in your licence and exchange it for a vehicle licence. There is supposed to be a special licence for 125c bikes, but I have no idea how this is being enforced. If it exists, all you have to do is pass a written test to get 125cc bikes added to your licence.

I agree that there is no way of enforcing the law, as many scooters are within the 100-125cc range (and it is very hard to tell which ones are under 125cc...unless you love scooters...). However, per my experience aquiring my +250cc license in 2009, there is a 125cc driving test.

At that time there were two tests:

1. A +125cc test using Citi Ace 110s (and here we already begin to see the problem) that a bunch of post high school boys were testing for. Considering the age group, I expect it may be required for delivery insurance.

2. A +250 test

Now, are you ever going to be pulled over for riding a 125cc without a motorcycle endorsement? Extremely doubtful. If it was me, I'd do the test on a Citi just for fun and get my mini endorsement. If you can't handle the test on a Citi(!), you shouldn't be driving a motorcycle in Seoul. You do need those low-speed skills.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love snow, I'm itching for warmer weather to get my bike back out on the road. I remember reading about meetups for motorcycle riders way back in the thread, do these still happen? It would be nice to get out of Seoul and ride with some fellow expats.
HANGRY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my license traded in and I think I'm okay to ride 125cc bikes now. I'm just wondering what's the best way to practice. I haven't ridden a bike since my MSF course when I was back in the states, and that was just in a parking lot. I'm just really nervous about trying to get anything, scooter or motorcycle, and trying to take it back to my place in one piece. Once there I think I can practice in my schools parking lot. lol
v88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HANGRY wrote:
I got my license traded in and I think I'm okay to ride 125cc bikes now. I'm just wondering what's the best way to practice. I haven't ridden a bike since my MSF course when I was back in the states, and that was just in a parking lot. I'm just really nervous about trying to get anything, scooter or motorcycle, and trying to take it back to my place in one piece. Once there I think I can practice in my schools parking lot. lol

1. Did you have to take a road test of some kind at your local DMV? Do you have the 125cc motorcycle certification on your license? Just wondering how consistent they are with the 'new rules'.

2. Just ask the folks you buy your bike from to drop it off at your house. That's what I did. I spent a week driving it around my local area before taking it out on the highway. Remember that most accidents happen in the first year of riding. This is the most dangerous time for a biker, so be safe.
HANGRY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v88 wrote:
1. Did you have to take a road test of some kind at your local DMV? Do you have the 125cc motorcycle certification on your license? Just wondering how consistent they are with the 'new rules'.

I didn't take any road or written test at all. I never got my motorcycle license in the states either.

Is there any way to tell if you have the certification? All I know is my license is 2종보통.
v88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HANGRY wrote:
v88 wrote:

I didn't take any road or written test at all. I never got my motorcycle license in the states either.

Is there any way to tell if you have the certification? All I know is my license is 2종보통.

That's the standard license. But from Wikipedia it isn't clear exactly what this means as it says you can ride bikes with motors (no engine size is mentioned) and passenger cars. The big bike license - 소형면허- according to the information on Wikipedia allows 18 year olds to ride bikes bigger than 125cc. This is the license I have and when I got it, it was for 250cc bikes and bigger and you had to take a tricky road test that seems geared to make you fail in order to get it. The third license is what I assumed you would need - 원동기장치자전거면허. It is for 16 year olds and up in order to ride bikes smaller than 125cc. As others have mentioned there does seem to be a road test in order to ride 125cc bikes...but given the info on Wikipedia it's a little unclear. Your average 125 is actually 124.1cc and thus fits into the smaller bike category...but who knows exactly how they are slicing this one.

소형면허

2종

보통면허 승용자동차(승차정원 10인 이하의 승합자동차 포함), 적재중량 4톤 이하의 화물자동차, 원동기장치자전거 만 18세

소형면허 배기량 125cc 이상의 이륜자동차(측차부 포함), 원동기장치자전거 만 18세

원동기장치자전거면허 원동기장치자전거(125cc미만의 이륜차) 만 16세
HANGRY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember reading that you only need a drivers license to ride 125 CC bikes, but maybe something has changed. The information about motorcycle licenses circling around the net is a bit confusing @_@
technique

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v88 wrote:

소형면허

2종

보통면허 승용자동차(승차정원 10인 이하의 승합자동차 포함), 적재중량 4톤 이하의 화물자동차, 원동기장치자전거 만 18세

소형면허 배기량 125cc 이상의 이륜자동차(측차부 포함), 원동기장치자전거 만 18세

원동기장치자전거면허 원동기장치자전거(125cc미만의 이륜차) 만 16세

This. Hangry, you just have a standard car license.

The reason there is all that misinformation circling around the internet is because many people post information not based on facts--just what they have seen on the road.

Yes, you can ride a 125cc motorcycle with out the license. Yes, you can own a 125cc motorcycle without registering or insuring it. Yes, you probably can get away with it. Should you? That's your debate.

Like I've said before. I've been running a Hyosung Exiv125 and a Daelim CitiAce110 for three years without plates and never had a problem. Would I dare do that with my CB400VTEC? Hell no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 179, 180, 181  Next
Page 165 of 181

Jump to: