Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The OFFICIAL Motorcycle/Scooter thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 179, 180, 181  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technique wrote:
The reason there is all that misinformation circling around the internet is because many people post information not based on facts--just what they have seen on the road.

Good point! I know this has been said before, but this thread needs a bit of re-organization (especially the opening post). There are just too many pages to go through to find any meaningful information quickly.

That said, I'm really quite busy and, while I don't mind putting in the effort to organize the info, it's the gathering of it that's the most time consuming. So, here's the exercise: Quote one/more of the numbered items below and add accurate information - I'll take that and put it into one nice FAQ that I'll stick in the opening post. If you can think of any more topics, please feel free!

Licensing:

1. What are the penalties for driving with no licence?

2. What bikes can you ride with just a regular car licence? (2종보통)

3. Are International Driver's Licenses okay to use for riding motorcycles?

4. Is the motorcycle license transferrable from your home country?

5. How do you get your motorcycle licence in Korea?

6. How do you register at a Motorcycle Hagwon? How long does it take? How much does it cost?

Insurance:

1. What are the penalties for riding with no insurance?

2. What are the consequences of being in an accident with no insurance?

3. Is there theft insurance?

4. What are reputable motorcycle insurance companies/brokers?

5. How much does insurance cost?

6. What does insurance typically cover?

7. How do you get insured?

Registering/Buying/Selling:

1. How do you sell a bike?

2. How do you buy a bike?

Motorcycle Maintenance/Repairs:

1. Mail order shops that ship to Korea

2. Bike shop reccommendations

3. Websites/general tips?

Any others?
HANGRY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My K-girlfriend called some people and talked to a friend of hers, and she says my license is OK to ride 125cc motorcycles. I didn't take any written tests or driving tests. I never had a motorcycle license in America either. All I had was a standard SC drivers license.
Hugo85

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my theoretical test today. It was reasonably simple.

Showed up asked for motorcycle license, they made me watch a video about driving a car which had English subtitles. Then I had to do medical exams, take some pictures, go to various counters to have stamps put on, took the exam in English, had to go to various counters again and they asked me when I wanted the practical test.

Exam was easy, at least 50% are common sense question, rest are related to Korean laws and signalization (details of signalization is given in Korean). There is a video where you have to spot the 3 dangers the driver should look for. I didn't study and passed with 79%.

Practical test is everyday 9AM or 10AM.

Fee was 6k+4k+6k I think, plus 6k for pictures. I forgot, exactly what I paid as I was getting shown around by a kind employee and just followed the motion.
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just renewed my insurance today.

If you can speak a modicum of Korean (or get a Korean friend to help), I highly reccmmend Riders Korea - they're a motorcycle insurance broker -- no, it's not direct, but they find the best price for you then take their cut -- it's always worked out resonably. My price this year fell to under 300,000 for my 600 CBR.

http://motorcyclekorea.co.kr/

1566-5282
joesp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: camouflage Reply with quote

If you want to break every traffic law and not get a ticket, just get a scooter or motorcycle and look like you are delivering something. The cops here will never give a ticket to somebody who is working as they know this is the land of quick service. You will also be invisible when on the sidewalks, doing the crosswalks-thingie, etc.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IlIlNine wrote:
Just renewed my insurance today.

If you can speak a modicum of Korean (or get a Korean friend to help), I highly reccmmend Riders Korea - they're a motorcycle insurance broker -- no, it's not direct, but they find the best price for you then take their cut -- it's always worked out resonably. My price this year fell to under 300,000 for my 600 CBR.

http://motorcyclekorea.co.kr/

1566-5282

I wasn't able to deduce from their website but do they have theft coverage?

(I've inquired about this in the past to no avail but I'm hoping things have changed since I left.)
GreatUnderachiever

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok it's been advised i move this queston here..

Can you get an IDP with only a motorcycle and not car licence??

If so dose it matter what category (e.g. in the UK you have A1, A2 and A)

I am hoping so, I want to get on motorbike when I finally arrive in Korea
mindlessroller21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any areas that are really good for scooter shopping?

I'm looking for a good deal on a daerim citi ace.
eslguyinsanbon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering what you guys do about motorcycle gear. Do any of you wear anything besides a helmet? If you do, where did you get it? I'm going to be picking up my first bike some time in the next few months (after I get my motorcycle license) and I want to have full gear for it (jacket, pants, gloves, boots). Any suggestions on where to find this stuff? I've found one place in Gwangju, but the prices seemed pretty frikkin high. Anybody know where to order from that will deliver to Korea??
v88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new NC700x from Honda

The video intro from Honda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agrPpVEUUtg

The best article about it I've read:
http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/honda-nc700x-0

A cool bike designed to be efficient, cheap to run and still have power where you need it.

Just looking at the specs from Japan
41 km/l
50 HP @ 6,250 RPM
60 ft/lbs @ 4,750 RPM
about a 11 mil in Korea

Compared to a Honda Shadow (750)
37 km/l
44 HP @ 5,500 RPM
62 ft/lbs @ 3,500 RPM
13.5 mil in Korea

Honda CB400
31 km/l
53 HP @ 10,500 RPM
38 ft/lbs @ 9,500 RPM
(no longer sold in Korea, but was about 8 mil)

Honda CBR250R
49 km/l
27 HP @ 8,500 RPM
23 ft/lbs @ 7,000 RPM
6 mil in Korea

Honda CBR600RR (would have rather compared to the CBR600F but it isn't sold in Japan)
29 km/l
78 HP @ 12,000
57 ft/lbs @ 10,000 RPM
16 mil in Korea

Fuel efficiency: almost as good as a 250 and heaps better than the CB400. A good alternative to the Shadow if a balance of power and efficiency are you concern.

HP: About the same power as the CB400 but much further down in the rev range making it far more accessible in everyday riding. Again similar to the Shadow (a bit more actually) and far fewer horses than the 600RR (definitely not going to be screaming past the finish line at 180km/h on this bike). I've always thought 250s had enough power, but this is far more respectable. It will be able to put a smile on your face, get you off the line quickly, provide you with the power needed to pass cars at speeds while still being cheap on gas.

Torque: Here is where this bike shines. It out does every bike but the Shadow (the only category where the Shadow is still the king). Slays the 250, and firmly puts the 400 in it's place with loads of torque down low in the rev range so you cat tear away from stop lights and give you power coming out of turns without needing to down shift or keep your bike high in the rev range (which isn't easy to do with small bikes like the CB400 and the CBR250). Unlike the 600RR which has similar torque, this bike has it down low meaning that you do not have to be revving the snot out of your bike to get her going...she just goes right away. So while the 600RR will out pace this bike on a track and tear past her on a straight away, this bike will not be beat on the street and will give race bikes a run for their money in tight twisties. Since the real world is not designed for track bikes and is full of sharp corners, stop lights, this is where I'd spend my cash.

Expense: While this bike isn't cheap, it is much cheaper than the 600RR and respectably cheaper than the Shadow. It's not far off from the 400 and a bit pricey compared to the 250. Clearly this bike has far more to offer than the 250, but with the additional expense, 250s are still worthy commuter bikes despite the rather small difference in fuel efficiency. I think this bike will put a serious dent in the sales of CB400s, yes it is a bit more, but you get far more bike that is far better suited to the street than the CB. This bike is really more of a 'cruiser' for the naked, tourer, commuter crowd who really want more than just the cheapest bike on the road. I've always liked the Shadow, mainly for it's power characteristics and all round ability, but with the advantages of this bike (handling being one that I never mentioned) combined with the lower price tag, I'll never look at a cruiser again. The additional cost of the Shadow is just for style and seeing as how I'm the kind of guy who doesn't really care what I look like when I'm having fun...I'll take the NC700. Obviously compared to the 600RR this bike is a steal. No, you won't be ripping up the track, but then if you are looking at this bike in the first place, you never imagined yourself doing so.
GreatUnderachiever

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my other thread, this maybe useful for the UK people.

wait...this might be a lot easier after all....

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2592.msg95490.html#msg95490

!!
"

You many exchange your UK license for a Korean one. If you do this you will have your UK license returned to you when you leave Korea.

Also, as the other poster as said, you can use an international drivers license.

UK and Korea have an agreement whereby the licenses of both countries are exchangeable, without the need for further tests.

Having driven on the Seoul roads I have experienced other drivers cutting in on me, in a similar fashion to the manner in which I am routinely shoved out the way by people on the subway, street and shops.

"

Very Happy
joesp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreatUnderachiever wrote:
From my other thread, this maybe useful for the UK people.

... You many exchange your UK license for a Korean one. If you do this you will have your UK license returned to you when you leave Korea.

Yes, it is true. And, as I said before, foreign *resident* I.E. "if you have an ARC card" are required to go the route of license transfer; the Korean license bureau will no longer even and will actually refuse to issue an international license to a foreigner with a foreign driver's license. The problem lies in that I do not believe the motorcycle endorsement on the license will transfer over.
mindlessroller21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread seriously needs to get ILLNINES sticky up. its impossible to find anything!

Bike is a citi ace 2 110cc

I have my bike and am riding illegally for now. Where can I go to get my plates and will I need insurance to get the plates? Will I need a license to get the insurance?
lion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolest typo in recent memory:
http://seoul.craigslist.co.kr/mcy/2947619222.html
Laughing
v88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mindlessroller21 wrote:
This thread seriously needs to get ILLNINES sticky up. its impossible to find anything!

Bike is a citi ace 2 110cc

I have my bike and am riding illegally for now. Where can I go to get my plates and will I need insurance to get the plates? Will I need a license to get the insurance?

Go here:

What do I need to legally ride a bike in Korea?
http://expatriders.2.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=42
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 179, 180, 181  Next
Page 166 of 181

Jump to: