Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is youtube so slow in Korea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chickenpie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Why is youtube so slow in Korea? Reply with quote

Nearly every music or documentary video I try to watch lately is so bloody slow.......wasn't like this a few years ago......why?
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is youtube so slow in Korea? Reply with quote

chickenpie wrote:
Nearly every music or documentary video I try to watch lately is so bloody slow.......wasn't like this a few years ago......why?

Same here. I blame Yahoo!
waynehead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes and goes, at peak times it can be ridiculously slow compared to other sites, the general consensus seems to be there's some kind of block on Korea and that there's nothing really you can do.
yoitsmykey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, youtube bandwidth is being throttled here in Korea.
At times, I can barely stream 480p from youtube. So I just connect to my VPN located in the US and I can easily stream 1080p.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gotten better recently. Last year I couldn't stream even bleeding 240p without it stuttering and buffering all the time. This year 480p is (mostly) no problem.
scorpiocandy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, youtube is about the only site that streams properly. Every other site I use is crap. I thought maybe if I used hotspotshield it would go better but it's the same.

Downloads still go like crazy though but I prefer to just stream the stuff and watch as I want rather than have to download everything.
waynehead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask what ISP you're using? I'm with KT's 100 MB service, everything else is super fast but I sometimes get pauses on 360 vids if I'm watching at peak times on youtube (I live in Seoul, btw).

However, like another poster said, it is better than it used to be. A year or so ago youtube was virtually unusuable, nowadays I can make it work most of the time.
scorpiocandy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use KT and live in Seoul. Not sure if it's the 100mb thing. I didn't make the request.

Generally for me everything is slow- opening google, hulu is choppy. It's just awful.

I thought it was my laptop or my connection at home, but I took my netbook to work last week so different machine, different connection in a different area of Seoul and it was the same thing.
Youtube fine, all other sites bad.
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do a lot of traffic management and shaping. International connections frequently suck. Skype has become virtually useless over the past year. It is now possible only about 50% of the time to make a long distance call on Skype without getting the good old "you're breaking up...can't hear you"

I think some of it has to do with the international undersea pipes. Low bandwidth possibly.
fermentation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem when using Firefox. With Chrome, its much faster.
djmarcus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is youtube so slow in Korea? Reply with quote

chickenpie wrote:

In my office, I get 80Mbps up/download speeds according to speedtest.net. I don't have the lag problem here that you mention for youtube, but I certainly do have it at home. I have SK Wifi. I could hard wire into the router using a cable, but I hate having cables everywhere so I just deal with the slow speed.

If your speed test does not have the same results as my speed, you might want to upgrade to a higher level, or if your on wifi, try plugging in directly to the router.
Jbko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a faster INTERNET connection GIGA internet Kornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: