Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olympic Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radcon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Olympic Thread Reply with quote

Swimmer Park Tae Won was disqualified under dubious circumstances. The obligatory Korean olympic controversy happened early on this time around. Brace yourselves.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's all okay now, the decision was reversed.

Thank God for that

Last edited by edwardcatflap on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dave Chance

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Oh God, I can see this coming up now every time I mention to some Korean that I'm from the UK For years and years. Why couldn't they just give him the sodding medal?

Just like they gave it to the Korean boxer who was battered around the ring by Roy Jones?
fermentation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching it with my family, my sister wondered if its conspiracy against Korea. I just had to laugh at how people built him up and put all their hopes on the guy and it was torn away in a matter of minutes.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a passing interest in the olympics but I'm not following them on tv. Is it just me or is the internet near useless for checking in on these games?

Park Tae-hwan for example. I tried to search what you guys are talking about & there is zero on google & olympics.org isnt helpful. I still have no idea.

It took considerable digging to come up with the Korea-Mexico soccer score, hours after the game was finished. I wanted to watch a bit of the opening ceremonies after the fact, but theres next to nothing on youtube.

Huge media blitz, but wheres info central when you just want to find stuff out?
laynamarya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all okay now, the decision was reversed. Very Happy
caniff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/austerity-olympics-each-gold-medal-contains-134-gold

The olympics suck on oh-so-many levels. Can you name them all?

I'll get you started:

nationalism/jingoism

gov't/corporate collusion to screw the host masses

global elitism promoting regular-guy-ism taking it up the keyster

there's plenty more....

screw the olympics
Panda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caniff wrote:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/austerity-olympics-each-gold-medal-contains-134-gold

The olympics suck on oh-so-many levels. Can you name them all?

I'll get you started:

nationalism/jingoism

gov't/corporate collusion to screw the host masses

global elitism promoting regular-guy-ism taking it up the keyster

there's plenty more....

screw the olympics

First of all, I don't understand why you use me as your profile photo if you don't like the Olympics.

The Olympics is just a GAME, come on, plenty of kids take games seriously but you don't blame any game for being retarded unless yourself are.

I would never get tired watching beautiful people doing things exciting and fun. When all the athletes walking into the stadium, you immediately notice how different they are from the crowd we see on any street in any country, not only because they look fit and perky( of course, they are supposed to be physically most excellent human being on the entire planet.), most of them also show their confidence and strong willpower on their faces.
caniff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding me why I rarely bother with Dave's anymore.
fermentation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That judo match last night as a fiasco. What a joke.
stilicho25

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That judo match was insane. On what basis did they reverse the decision. Who was that random official who chewed the refs out? Why didn't the Japanese guy win on the point he had originally? It was all pretty odd.

@ Panda, don't let the haters bring you down. The olympics are fun whatever the curmudgeons say.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
nationalism/jingoism

Without this element, the olympics are mainly just a load of minority sports very few people would bother to watch at any other time. When you don't really care about whether the guy from your country wins/gets a bum deal from the ref/beats the arch rival from the country you don't like/gets to stand on a platform while your national anthem is played etc...the scales fall from your eyes and you see these events for what they are. Really pretty dull - as all those empty seats testify.
stilicho25

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The empty seats are a result of bad planning, and many people are waiting outside the events to get in. As a Former wrestler I love watching the judo and the wrestling, as this is the most prestigious event for those sports. The nationalism exists, but does not detract from the biggest sports festival of them all. Sour grapes, and judging by the tv ratings, not a widely held position.
Binch Lover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
I have a passing interest in the olympics but I'm not following them on tv. Is it just me or is the internet near useless for checking in on these games?

Park Tae-hwan for example. I tried to search what you guys are talking about & there is zero on google & olympics.org isnt helpful. I still have no idea.

It took considerable digging to come up with the Korea-Mexico soccer score, hours after the game was finished. I wanted to watch a bit of the opening ceremonies after the fact, but theres next to nothing on youtube.

Huge media blitz, but wheres info central when you just want to find stuff out?

I think this is what you're looking for. You can click on any event and see the results.

http://www.london2012.com/schedule-and-results/
sml7285

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stilicho25 wrote:
The empty seats are a result of bad planning, and many people are waiting outside the events to get in. As a Former wrestler I love watching the judo and the wrestling, as this is the most prestigious event for those sports. The nationalism exists, but does not detract from the biggest sports festival of them all. Sour grapes, and judging by the tv ratings, not a widely held position.

Empty seats are an indicator of a severe lack of interest. Someone started a thread about the 2002 World Cup and many people harped about the lack of attendance; it's the same in any major international event. Sure the Brits may go crazy for Andy Murray or that random heptathlon girl, but do you really think there's any interest in the slightest for a Mongolia v SK judo match-up or a similar game in badminton?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: