Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the deal with vegetarianism?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zackback

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: What's the deal with vegetarianism? Reply with quote

I mean this is something I just don't get. How can you deny yourself such good food? What kind of cause would motivate you to such a life style of self-denial of some really good grub?
And...is it possible to be like a part-time vegetarian such as only eating meat on say Thanksgiving, Christmas and the 4th of July?
I will admit some people have lost weight and do look thin (as in a healthy thin) but others I have seen look rather gaunt.
fosterman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch
Earthlings
forks over knives
food inc.

if you must watch only one, then watch Forks over knives.

but.. yes you are right. being 100% doesn't really make a different to being say a 6 days a week vegetarian. or eating healthy.
I think the vegan movement is more about going green, stopping the dependence on animal proteins, showing that a plant, fruit and whole grain diet is more than sufficient enough for humans to live on, and healthier.
I mean why do humans have to switch from breasts milks to cows milk?
think how ridiculous that sounds for a minute? we are the only species who do that. cow milk is for calves. not for humans.

but sure, we can eat meats, drink milk, eat cheese and enjoy the tastes of other animals and foods, but I think to eat responsibly is what people are saying. regards to meats, it's not so much that meats are bad for us, in large quantities it is scientists have proved it to be. but it's more about stopping the 10 billion animals a year from being slaughtered for our own food, which is not necessary, but companies associated with those foods will push their agenda on us. school lunches, military foods, etc.
everything with government contracts are big money for them so they will try and tell us it's important in our diets.
we were brought up to believe cows milk help us grow. that was financed by the dairy industry to boost their sales. just like the meat industry.
huge profits in that. but where are the huge profits in going green?
most people can grow their own fruit and veges. sure there are profits in veges and fruits, but the meat and diary industry and everyone associated with it, are not going to easily give it up, think Big pharma and big Tobacco.

I grew up eating meat, and I like the food, lamb chops, steaks, meat balls, etc.. so I will continue to eat meat. but I am cutting out processed meat.
and trying to select grass fed meat, organic fed cows etc.
we can make responsible choices regarding our eating habits.
I think the vegetarians and vegans are just like don't be a part time vegan be a full time vegan, you know. don't be a part time smoker either you are a smoker or you are not. best to not be.

but for someone like me who has very good will power.
I can be a part time smoker, a part time recreational drug user, and a part time vegan so to speak. I don't have an additive personality.
I don't go to the gym everyday, I go sometimes, I don't eat raw salads everyday, I eat them 70% of the time. you know what I mean?
ohh and I am now a non smoker, but I was a part time smoker. weekends, drunk, social etc.

so yeah you make a vaild point.
I mean if more people would just become part time meat eaters it would surely make a better carbon footprint for us all, and reduce the numbers of animals being slaughtered. and of course make you healthier

I think those people who go 100% vegan or vegeterian need to for certain reason.,
1: they have low will power and could easily relapse and go back to their old style of eating
2: choose to do it for the well being of themselves and the animals on this earth
3: just because they really believe its the healthiest lifestyle choice.
and it is. but it's not the only one.

moderation of food is not gonna kill you. over indulgence and bad food choices and no exercise will.
well for most people. remember genes has a huge part of how long you will live. but you trash your body all your life even your genes will not be able to save you.

anyway,
watch.. Folks over knives
madhusudan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your honest inquiry into why people choose vegetarianism is laudable. If only more people would spend their time constructively, as you obviously do, in an attempt to broaden their knowledge, perhaps the world would be just a little bit brighter. I hope you find the answers you seek on the eslcafe message boards, though be warned there are some troll posters and other such provacateurs. Good luck in your search for truth.
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If God didn't want us to eat meat he/she wouldn't have made it taste so good.

And humans aren't the only animals to drink the milk of other species, just we're the only ones who can make it a commercial venture.

I can grow my own fruits and veg and still eat meat, the government doesn't tell me to like roast beef. Eating meat has been around far longer than the government. Humans do fun stuff like travel abroad, teach language, drive too fast, take photos, so we're different to pigs. This is not a new discovery.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a mostly pescatarian. I eat seafood, and a few times a year (Passover, Thanksgiving) I'll eat non-seafood meat. I do it because of the health reasons. Usually I don't really want to eat meat, though. If you put a steak or a goat cheese salad on a menu, I'd choose the goat cheese. I only crave meat once in a while, and when I do, it's usually organ meat like liver or tongue, and I have it because it's my body's way of saying that I need something in that food.

If I were a regular meat eater, though, I'd probably do the once or twice a week plan.
fosterman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:

And humans aren't the only animals to drink the milk of other species, just we're the only ones who can make it a commercial venture.

I can grow my own fruits and veg and still eat meat, the government doesn't tell me to like roast beef. Eating meat has been around far longer than the government. Humans do fun stuff like travel abroad, teach language, drive too fast, take photos, so we're different to pigs. This is not a new discovery.

which animals go off searching for a different species and suck up to their teets and have a drink?

and regarding god making meat taste good. ummm why don't you cut open a pig and eat it raw! tell me if it tastes good.
now go pick an apple from a tree and eat it raw tell me if that tastes good.
compare the two.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People eat raw beef don't they and raw fish and seafood?
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
JustinC wrote:

which animals go off searching for a different species and suck up to their teets and have a drink?

and regarding god making meat taste good. ummm why don't you cut open a pig and eat it raw! tell me if it tastes good.
now go pick an apple from a tree and eat it raw tell me if that tastes good.
compare the two.

So you would rather we use oil instead of plastic, fertilizer, gas? You'd prefer to have sand windows?

And eating raw pig sounds nasty, so no thanks!
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...another thread soon not to be.
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
hmm...another thread soon not to be.

Why's that?
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many different types of vegetarians/vegans and different motivations, including concern for the health of humans, animals, and the environment. Strict interpretation of major religious injunctions (eg, "Thou shall not kill!") also indicates that unnecessary killing of animals is sinful - or in other words "bad karma".

Most of us were habituated to meat-eating from a very early age, and it's not easy to forego the sensual pleasure of eating animal flesh and blood unless we somehow experience a higher taste (either spiritually or materially).

This website might be helpful to some ...
http://www.harekrsna.com/practice/prasadam/cookbooks/highertaste.htm
cj1976

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the health benefits of not eating meat, but I don't understand how people stop eating meat because they think it is cruel or unfair to animals. I just can't summon that kind of sympathy for a cow or a chicken, because they are lower than humans in the food chain.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the deal with vegetarianism? *Cue Seinfeld bass riff* followed by Jerry yaking about it for 5 minutes, George trying to date some chick by converting to vegetarianism, Jerry getting back with that girl who would always take him to the heavy meat restaurants, Elaine working on leather for the Peterman catalogue, Kramer opening up a hotdog cart and it all coming together and crashing down as George gets 3rd wheeled into a dinner with Jerry and Ms. Meat and he craves a hotdog while dressed in leather and gets caught by his girlfriend.

That is the deal with vegetarianism.
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've eaten meat at times in my life & decided I dont care for it. I often felt bloated & heavy afterwards & it leaves an unpleasant greasy feel in my mouth.

Also, I delight in live animals. I could not bring myself to slice the throat of one to have it on my plate.

I eat fish, a bit reluctantly, as a social & pragmatic adaptation to living in Korea. Thats where I draw the line now for myself.

You others, its your own call.
littlelisa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are pretty much a lot of reasons why people are vegetarian. By that I mean, pick two random vegetarians and they are unlikely to have the exact same reasons.

Personally I discovered once I was not staying at my parents' place that I actually don't like the taste of meat. I actually ate all vegetarian food for a whole summer by happenstance without making any effort or having any intention to do that. I just ate whatever options looked best to me and I never really liked cooking with meat, and there you go! I only realized when I went over to my mom's place and she told me she just made me some chicken. Just the smell.. (that's the point when I realized I had gone a whole summer as a vegetarian by happenstance, and then I continued from that point as vegetarian by choice. So good food is pretty subjective. One person might feel like they are denying themselves good food by being vegetarian, others might feel the opposite! I don't feel like I am denying myself any good food by being vegetarian. Everyone has their own taste in food, after all. I know people who hate things I love like dark chocolate or tomatoes. Ask people about cilantro and you can see how subjective taste is to people.

Other reasons that some people have are for anything from environmental reasons (less footprint to have vegetables than meat), commonly found bad conditions for animals on many farms/bad treatment of animals in animal processing plants, health reasons, religious reasons, etc.

You can do whatever works best for you. Some people have only a few days a week they will have only veg food, or eat meat while out but cook only veg, or eat mostly vegetarian and occasionally have meat, or eat only vegetarian except for certain holidays or except for certain places (parents' place, for example), or eat pretty much vegetarian but not be concerned with broths or trace amounts of meat, you can be full vegetarian or full vegan, or or or.... if part time vegetarian works for you, or just cutting back on amount of meat eaten, or only eating meat on certain holidays, go for it!

I originally did not intend to be a strict vegetarian until I started to be more sensitive to the taste of meat even in trace amounts or in soup stocks, etc. I originally even intended to eat seafood (not fish, I've always hated fish), but then didn't really enjoy that either, so here I am as a fairly strict vegetarian.

I think it's important to not implicitly believe stereotypes either way. Vegetarians are not always skinnier, vegetarian diets are not always healthier, meat eaters are not always healthier, etc. I do think that too much meat is unhealthy, but I don't think eating meat is inherently unhealthy or anything. I do think that being vegetarian is healthier for me personally based on how I feel.

I have seen skinny vegetarians and skinny meat eaters, chubby vegetarians and chubby meat eaters, gaunt looking vegetarians and gaunt looking meat eaters, etc. I haven't personally seen any really really fat vegetarians, but I'm sure it's possible, just harder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: