Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the deal with vegetarianism?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humans traditionally valued the organ meat because it was higher in nutritional value than the muscle tissue. I only eat it when I crave it, which isn't often. There's nothing weird about that.
liveinkorea316

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just prefer to eat vegetarian when I can. But I will eat meat socially because it is hard to find a vegetarian meal to enjoy with others in every situation.

People say meat is great and delicious. It is nice. But a good vegetarian dish is nice too and you feel lighter, fresher and healthier afterwards.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Seoul Veggie Club (organized mainly on Facebook) makes it much easier to find vegetarian/vegan events and places around the greater Seoul area. Even when I lived nearly two hours from Seoul I'd take an express bus to get to club gatherings.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/seoulveggieclub/
Dodge7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
Humans traditionally valued the organ meat because it was higher in nutritional value than the muscle tissue. I only eat it when I crave it, which isn't often. There's nothing weird about that.

Nice try. More like "traditional humans" couldn't spare to waste any part of the animal so they consumed all of it. Anyone that prefers exotic parts such as liver, tongue and heart to a nicely cut rib eye steak are just plain weird and gross.
Kepler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think vegetarianism is healthier. Humans evolved to be hunters and gatherers. Protein from animal sources contains the ideal combination amino acids for human needs. Protein from plant sources is missing essential amino acids. Whole grains are definitely not healthy. Whole wheat bread contains natural toxins and has a higher glycemic index than either table sugar or a candy bar. Consequently, it's more likely to lead to diabetes. You'd be better off eating white rice.
fosterman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kepler wrote:
I don't think vegetarianism is healthier. Humans evolved to be hunters and gatherers. Protein from animal sources contains the ideal combination amino acids for human needs. Protein from plant sources is missing essential amino acids. Whole grains are definitely not healthy. Whole wheat bread contains natural toxins and has a higher glycemic index than either table sugar or a candy bar. Consequently, it's more likely to lead to diabetes. You'd be better off eating white rice.

OHHHH come on dude! seriously? are you a doctor? because if you are gonna say that you had better present some facts, because their are doctors out there who have spent their life and millions of dollars in research grants looking into all of this and they would be quick to dismiss what you just said.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:

Nice try. More like "traditional humans" couldn't spare to waste any part of the animal so they consumed all of it. Anyone that prefers exotic parts such as liver, tongue and heart to a nicely cut rib eye steak are just plain weird and gross.

Do a bit of research before you spout garbage.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with vegetarians, unless they start treating it like a religion and try to preach about it and convert people.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
JustinC wrote:
If God didn't want us to eat meat he/she wouldn't have made it taste so good.

And humans aren't the only animals to drink the milk of other species, just we're the only ones who can make it a commercial venture.

I can grow my own fruits and veg and still eat meat, the government doesn't tell me to like roast beef. Eating meat has been around far longer than the government. Humans do fun stuff like travel abroad, teach language, drive too fast, take photos, so we're different to pigs. This is not a new discovery.

which animals go off searching for a different species and suck up to their teets and have a drink?

and regarding god making meat taste good. ummm why don't you cut open a pig and eat it raw! tell me if it tastes good.
now go pick an apple from a tree and eat it raw tell me if that tastes good.
compare the two.

Silly comparison. We don't find raw pork appealing because it can contain diseases that are detrimental to us. Cooked pork on the other hand, obviously has benefits for us, hence we have evolved to enjoy the taste (in general).

It's just like a rotting apple - you aren't going to enjoy the taste of that, because it would spread disease if you ate it. Doesn't mean that apples aren't meant to be eaten.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
Nothing wrong with vegetarians, unless they start treating it like a religion and try to preach about it and convert people.

Indeed. This is one of the reasons that I hate many of the Seoul Veggie Club members. I just end up blocking the militant vegans.

Last edited by NYC_Gal 2.0 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
fosterman wrote:
JustinC wrote:

And humans aren't the only animals to drink the milk of other species, just we're the only ones who can make it a commercial venture.

I can grow my own fruits and veg and still eat meat, the government doesn't tell me to like roast beef. Eating meat has been around far longer than the government. Humans do fun stuff like travel abroad, teach language, drive too fast, take photos, so we're different to pigs. This is not a new discovery.

which animals go off searching for a different species and suck up to their teets and have a drink?

and regarding god making meat taste good. ummm why don't you cut open a pig and eat it raw! tell me if it tastes good.
compare the two.

Silly comparison. We don't find raw pork appealing because it can contain diseases that are detrimental to us. Cooked pork on the other hand, obviously has benefits for us, hence we have evolved to enjoy the taste (in general).

It's just like a rotting apple - you aren't going to enjoy the taste of that, because it would spread disease if you ate it. Doesn't mean that apples aren't meant to be eaten.

I'd rather eat raw fish or even raw beef than a raw lime or a raw potato or raw corn or raw artichoke or raw brussels sprouts.

What an utter fail that post about raw pork was.

That being said, for all of those out there who claim that we are "meant to eat meat" I challenge you to go a couple months as a vegetarian and note the uh, consistency, cleanliness and err comfort, of your breaks for nature.

Basically I'd encourage anyone taking a dogmatic approach to meat-eating to lighten up. This goes both ways. And for all the crap vegetarians get for being like a cult, meat eaters can be pretty ridiculous themselves. I've actually met people who can't go more than two days without eating meat to the point of their moods changing drastically and displaying symptoms of physical addiction.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
transmogrifier wrote:
fosterman wrote:
JustinC wrote:

compare the two.

I'd rather eat raw fish or even raw beef than a raw lime or a raw potato or raw corn or raw artichoke or raw brussels sprouts.

What an utter fail that post about raw pork was.

That being said, for all of those out there who claim that we are "meant to eat meat" I challenge you to go a couple months as a vegetarian and note the uh, consistency, cleanliness and err comfort, of your breaks for nature.

Basically I'd encourage anyone taking a dogmatic approach to meat-eating to lighten up. This goes both ways. And for all the crap vegetarians get for being like a cult, meat eaters can be pretty ridiculous themselves. I've actually met people who can't go more than two days without eating meat to the point of their moods changing drastically and displaying symptoms of physical addiction.

I find in general, people who eat meat just tend to get on with the job of, well, eating meat. As well as fruit, vegetables, grains etc.

In my experience, vegetarians have been way more dogmatic about their dietary preferences than meat-eaters. Sure, there are some meat-eaters who act like dicks when someone says they are a vegetarian, but as a general rule, meat-eaters aren't the ones making clubs, and signing petitions, and memorizing the latest health study that supports their cause.
mnjetter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Indeed. This is one of the reasons that I many of the Seoul Veggie Club members. I just end up blocking the militant vegans.

Verb???

You like them? You hate them? You eat them?
Kepler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
Kepler wrote:

OHHHH come on dude! seriously? are you a doctor? because if you are gonna say that you had better present some facts, because their are doctors out there who have spent their life and millions of dollars in research grants looking into all of this and they would be quick to dismiss what you just said.

Since you seem so impressed by doctors you should read what Dr. Mercola has to say about the issue-

"Aside from providing excessive calories as carbohydrates, one of the major adverse consequences of most grains is that they are loaded with toxins.... The one grain type that is virtually toxin free is white rice, which has far fewer toxins than brown rice...."
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/01/23/wheat-or-rice-as-safe-starch.aspx
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnjetter wrote:
Quote:
Indeed. This is one of the reasons that I many of the Seoul Veggie Club members. I just end up blocking the militant vegans.

Verb???

You like them? You hate them? You eat them?

Yikes. Hate. I wrote that on cold meds last night. I hate many of them. My bad. I just edited it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: