Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the deal with vegetarianism?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
[I should clarify that by saying "meant to eat meat" I didn't say we aren't able to eat meat. I meant that meat is apparently not an ideal source of nutrition for us, giving the greater challenge in digesting and processing it. and overabundance of meat seems to not digest well (but the so does an overabundance of everything). Needless to say I don't hear vegetarians clinching like mad and needing half a roll of TP...

Cook it until tender, cut it into small pieces and chew throughly before swallowing . If your digestive system is up to par you should be able to digest and process it perfectly well. And that's with no "clinching like mad and needing half a roll of TP"

If someone has a problem with digesting meat it might be that the person's own system is compromised in some fashion...or they are eating too much of it. Many other people (myself among them) eat meat and have no problems whatsoever with it.

True, but you don't know clean until you've gone a couple months as a vegetarian. Give it a try. Everyone I know who is or has been a vegetarian for an extended period of time has noticed it and comments on it. Much of the time your s_ literally don't stink.

Quote:
I've got a number of sharp teeth. I figure they are there for a reason.

Well humans needed to get energy anyway they can, much like pigs or other animals have preferred foods, but can make do with other sources.

Let's not forget that our molars and incisors far outnumber our canines. If we were meant to consume large amounts of meat on a consistent basis our jaw structure and such would be far different.

Let's not forget that eating meat in the "state of nature" is an incredibly risky practice. Trying to hunt and kill animals, is exhausting and quite violent. Unfortunately the human body is rather ill-equipped for fights against horned, large, fast, fanged, clawed, armored animals. Even with primitive weapons its rather dangerous to go after most animals outside of moronic birds and other hapless beasts. It would seem our evolutionary physiology has us as a "mostly non-meat eater", but given our inability to digest things like grasses, and our need for high energy, certainly gives us the ability and desire to pursue meat as well.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a vegetarian for years. I feel better eating seafood. My skin's not as dry, and I have more energy. Everyone's body is different. Some people can eat a lot of grains. Some can eat more dairy. Some can eat meat and never get colon cancer. Find whatever balance works for you. I'm not just talking about taste, because I know that a burger is delicious when my dad makes it, but I just don't feel well after eating most meat.
fosterman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
I was a vegetarian for years. I feel better eating seafood. My skin's not as dry, and I have more energy. Everyone's body is different. Some people can eat a lot of grains. Some can eat more dairy. Some can eat meat and never get colon cancer. Find whatever balance works for you. I'm not just talking about taste, because I know that a burger is delicious when my dad makes it, but I just don't feel well after eating most meat.

I went straight vegetarian 90% vegan once for a couple weeks, then around the 2week I felt like I needed a steak, I don't know just my body said, dude, you need some meat. so I bought some meat, stir fried it up with veges and I tell ya, I felt it all night and the next day! wow. so I don't know..
I wont ever perfectly give up meat, but I will try and not eat as much as I have while living in Korea. when I think about it, MAN I ate a lot of meat living here. A LOT . and washed it down with a ton of soju and beer.
so I need to back away from the Korean salary man, expat lifestyle.
fosterman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
fosterman wrote:
still, kind of strange that Humans go from breast milk to cows milk though isn't it.? I mean unnatural when you think about it.

Maybe when you think about it, but then not all of us have your hang ups. Cows and goats are just as much a part of nature as you or I. People have been drinking their milk since we first domesticated them thousands of years ago. Drinking milk is no more unnatural than eating bread.

perhaps we evolved to use our brains and use the resources which are around for us, perhaps the cows milk, or the goats milk is there for us to drink because we are the superior being on earth so we can use our brains to survive, taking cows milk is one of mans ways of surviving and gaining nutrients which we need. everything on earth is here for mans taking.
and boy oh boy have we taken!
goreality

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't have a rational discussion about the pros of vegetarianism. I'm addicted to meat and I'm proud. I tried to stop for a week and I was getting delusional, I think it was mostly psychological. Most meats I like rare to raw and fatty. Gimme organs from time to time. I don't really consider fish an animal and even birds are debatable, but this doesn't mean I won't consume them. I'm not big on milk, but cheese is great, even better with meat. Life isn't about the quantity it's about the quality.
drydell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Challenge..

Only animal foods diet. Vs Only plant food diet

Which is boring - which is not?...
Gorf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, it's Zackback. I'm sure he gets his usual daily protein portion when he beats a few chunks of meat off of his house-slave wife/breeding receptacle's face.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drydell wrote:
Challenge..

Only animal foods diet. Vs Only plant food diet

Which is boring - which is not?...

I'd find the all animal foods diet boring after a few days. I wouldn't want an only plant food diet, however, because I like dairy.
Zackback

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for that Gorf. When I come home my dinner is hot n ready Smile

I just say what I want for dinner in the morning. She writes it down verbatim then when I come home there it is.

It pays to be nice to ladies. Otherwise I wouldn't get treatment like that.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
perhaps we evolved to use our brains and use the resources which are around for us, perhaps the cows milk, or the goats milk is there for us to drink because we are the superior being on earth so we can use our brains to survive, taking cows milk is one of mans ways of surviving and gaining nutrients which we need. everything on earth is here for mans taking.
and boy oh boy have we taken!

I don't deny that the dairy industry may have become a monster, but I also don't advocate throwing away developments that have significantly raised the standard of living for millions of people. Regulate the industry better, make it worth the farmers' whiles to farm milk in ways that are better for the animals. Don't just chuck it all out because some small sect of the population believes it "unnatural".
byrddogs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelisa wrote:
Everyone has their own taste in food, after all. I know people who hate things I love like dark chocolate or tomatoes. Ask people about cilantro and you can see how subjective taste is to people.

Shocked There are people out there that don't like cilantro (possibly the best thing ever)? That is just weird. No thanks on dark chocolate, haha.
Kepler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The China Study was a study of disease and diet in over 100 villages in China over a 20 year period. A book was written by Professor Campbell of the University of Cornell about the study which concluded that eating a plant based diet was healthiest and that eating food from animal sources was most strongly correlated with disease. A few years ago, a blogger and former vegan started looking at the raw data of the study and found that Professor Campbell had cherry picked the data to reach the conclusions he wanted to reach.

Quote:
Perhaps more troubling than the distorted facts in �The China Study� are the details Campbell leaves out.

Why does Campbell indict animal foods in cardiovascular disease (correlation of +1 for animal protein and -11 for fish protein), yet fail to mention that wheat flour has a correlation of +67 with heart attacks and coronary heart disease, and plant protein correlates at +25 with these conditions?

Speaking of wheat, why doesn�t Campbell also note the astronomical correlations wheat flour has with various diseases: +46 with cervix cancer, +54 with hypertensive heart disease, +47 with stroke, +41 with diseases of the blood and blood-forming organs, and the aforementioned +67 with myocardial infarction and coronary heart disease? (None of these correlations appear to be tangled with any risk-heightening variables, either.)

Why does Campbell overlook the unique Tuoli peoples documented in the China Study, who eat twice as much animal protein as the average American (including two pounds of casein-filled dairy per day)�yet don�t exhibit higher rates of any diseases Campbell ascribes to animal foods?

Why does Campbell point out the relationship between cholesterol and colorectal cancer (+33) but not mention the much higher relationship between sea vegetables and colorectal cancer (+76)? (For any researcher, this alone should be a red flag to look for an underlying variable creating misleading correlations, which�in this case�happens to be schistosomiasis infection.)

Why does Campbell fail to mention that plant protein intake correlates positively with many of the �Western diseases� he blames cholesterol for�including +19 for colorectal cancers, +12 for cervix cancer, +15 for leukemia, +25 for myocardial infarction and coronary heart disease, +12 for diabetes, +1 for breast cancer, and +10 for stomach cancer?

Of course, these questions are largely rhetorical. Only a small segment of �The China Study� even discusses the China Study, and Campbell set out to write a publicly accessible book�not an exhaustive discussion of every correlation his research team uncovered. However, it does seem Campbell overlooked or ignored significant points when discerning the overriding nutritional themes in the China Project data.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/
fosterman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are all pretty much dying from cancer one way or another.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:

We are all pretty much dying, one way or another.
Just choose your poison...cancer being one of many.
kardisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
fosterman wrote:

We are all pretty much dying, one way or another.
Just choose your poison...cancer being one of many.

This. I personally choose to go out with the Paleo diet (i.e. meat and veggies) and copious amounts of wine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: