Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you had half million dollars, what would you do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Malislamusrex wrote:
That's the deposit.

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
buy 4 houses with 500 000 $?

Where in Uganda?

Then you're paying a mortgage. And you're dealing with tenants... AND upkeep.

For those that I know who do this, it very easily becomes a full time job. And it's not for everyone.

Subcontract to a property maintenance company.
Gorf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live off of the interest. I'm cheap, it wouldn't be a problem. Work a little bit to get money for food or cell phone bills, but not more than 10 hours a week or so.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malislamusrex wrote:
Well you are more of an expert than I am on my own business. Congratulations.

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
7000$ a year in rent...thats 583$ per month for a house?

Well....i have no idea where you would do this.

Also it would not be 7000$ per house because you would have to pay for repairs, upkeep, city taxes.

that income is also there only if you manage to have tenants occupy your properties all the time.

you will also pay taxes (in many countries) on the income generated by your revenue generating properties (the rent you collect).

In this particular field and considering we own two properties, one of which is an apt building...yep I am more of an expert than you are. Wink

I learned all this through hard earned experience by the way. Captain Corea said something similar to what I am saying as well. In fact, ask anyone who owns an apt building or house they rent and they will tell you the same thing.

Oh and fosterman, managing tenants is never "simple" nor is managing one building, let alone 4.

You are making the same mistake as others make, you only look at the revenue side and forget the expenses side of the equation. Any house, apt or building needs maintenance and repair and the OWNER pays for it. Any property is taxed by the city and the OWNER pays this too. Even one room villas will require upkeep, taxes and maintenance, not only that but until you have dealt with tenants, you really have no idea how demanding some can be and how much of a financial hit you will take if your rental property stays empty for a few months.

Or, just believe you can buy 5 villas and that they will generate money all on their own for no effort on your part. Laughing
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In this particular field and considering we own two properties, one of which is an apt building...yep I am more of an expert than you are.

I learned all this through hard earned experience by the way. Captain Corea said something similar to what I am saying as well. In fact, ask anyone who owns an apt building or house they rent and they will tell you the same thing.

Oh and fosterman, managing tenants is never "simple" nor is managing one building, let alone 4.

You are making the same mistake as others make, you only look at the revenue side and forget the expenses side of the equation. Any house, apt or building needs maintenance and repair and the OWNER pays for it. Any property is taxed by the city and the OWNER pays this too. Even one room villas will require upkeep, taxes and maintenance, not only that but until you have dealt with tenants, you really have no idea how demanding some can be and how much of a financial hit you will take if your rental property stays empty for a few months.

Or, just believe you can buy 5 villas and that they will generate money all on their own for no effort on your part

It all depends where you do your buying and letting. E.g. in the UK you could buy 4 run down properties in the North East, rent them out to people on housing benefit, refuse to do any repairs and rake in the profits. The council won't chase you up because if the tenants leave they'll be the council's responsibility and they won't want to have to find them bed and breakfast accommodation. Not very ethical but it's true.

In a reasonable region of the UK you could buy two decent houses for that amount and rent them out through a letting agency tax free (if you're living abroad)
.[/quote] Any property is taxed by the city and the OWNER pays this too .[quote]

Don't know about Canada but the UK has council tax, which is paid by the tenant not the landlord. If you do your research and buy in a good area, only accept professional types and go through an agency you'll eliminate a lot of the hidden costs and get a fairly steady income. As I have for the past 3 years. The only hidden extras i've had since 2009 have been a dripping tap - cost 60 quid. Yes I know UK plumbers are having a laugh.
Lazio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:

Although not representative but people around me rent and rent out apartments and villas and I know how much they pay/get and how much is the market value of the house. It's over 10 individual cases.
In these cases on average the yearly rent is somewhere above 6% of the market price. The least is around 5.5% and the most is over 7%. Counting with 6% than the 500 million won (well it was half a million dollars which would be more than 500 million but anyways) will give you exactly 30 million in a year. It could be 1 house or 5 different places, it doesn't matter.
Of course there are taxes and things to fix but that 30 million is not so unrealistic.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my first half mil as a tomb raider in China.

Now working on bigger things. If you're waiting for the lotto to make money, you're in a dreamworld.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
In this particular field and considering we own two properties, one of which is an apt building...yep I am more of an expert than you are.

Or, just believe you can buy 5 villas and that they will generate money all on their own for no effort on your part

It all depends where you do your buying and letting. E.g. in the UK you could buy 4 run down properties in the North East, rent them out to people on housing benefit, refuse to do any repairs and rake in the profits. The council won't chase you up because if the tenants leave they'll be the council's responsibility and they won't want to have to find them bed and breakfast accommodation. Not very ethical but it's true.

In a reasonable region of the UK you could buy two decent houses for that amount and rent them out through a letting agency tax free (if you're living abroad)
Any property is taxed by the city and the OWNER pays this too .
Quote:

Don't know about Canada but the UK has council tax, which is paid by the tenant not the landlord. If you do your research and buy in a good area, only accept professional types and go through an agency you'll eliminate a lot of the hidden costs and get a fairly steady income. As I have for the past 3 years. The only hidden extras i've had since 2009 have been a dripping tap - cost 60 quid. Yes I know UK plumbers are having a laugh.

lets be clear, a well maintained and well chosen apt building will provide you with revenue and is a good investment. It is NOT however a hands off, nothing require money printing operation. Buildings costs are real and they include maintenance, repairs, improvements, very often some sort of property or land tax. Dealing with tenants is not easy and having empty apt for even a few months can really hit you hard financially.

Some have suggested hiring someone to manage the buildings. We did that while we lived in Korea for our canadian properties and it costs money. Repairs and upkeep come out of your pocket not the tenants.

With this well maintained you can have a steady income but you will also have to pay income tax on it.

All I am saying is that it not as simple as buying a place and waiting for the money to roll in.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazio wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:

Although not representative but people around me rent and rent out apartments and villas and I know how much they pay/get and how much is the market value of the house. It's over 10 individual cases.
In these cases on average the yearly rent is somewhere above 6% of the market price. The least is around 5.5% and the most is over 7%. Counting with 6% than the 500 million won (well it was half a million dollars which would be more than 500 million but anyways) will give you exactly 30 million in a year. It could be 1 house or 5 different places, it doesn't matter.
Of course there are taxes and things to fix but that 30 million is not so unrealistic.

Well that 30 000 000W is the gross figure. Take out upkeep, repairs, and taxes and you get the real amount.

Again, by all means, do buy revenue earning property if you can! It is a good way to invest your money and help with your retirement options. However, do not expect it all to go smooth with no expenses to you.

For example, our apt building earns a pretty sizeable profit as its all paid for now and we do not live there. Still, when the roof is due, it will cost roughly 15 - 20 000 $ to do. If you keep the property over 10 years, you can expect to have to change windows and doors too and those aint cheap. You will also have to fix the apt when at some point you get a bad tenant that damages the place. Plumbing will break over that period. You could have to change the hot water tank (canada) or the ondol (Korea). The larger the building, the more expensive these repairs can be. So smart owners set aside a part of the monthly income from the building in a repair fund account that earns interest but that is easy to access.
yodanole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had $500,000, I'd teach English until it was gone......
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yodanole wrote:
If I had $500,000, I'd teach English until it was gone......

Well...it looks as though English will be around for as long as you are...so you'll be teaching English until you are gone.
Good thing you got that $500,000 though...as teaching doesn't really pay all that well.

Then again, you could work at one of those really high class test prep places where they teach things like correct pronoun usage...when to use the subjunctive mood...things like that.Wink
Rumor has it that some of those people haul down some really good coin.
hack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would depend on my age:
20-30 invest 1/2 in market and 1/2 in real estate
30-40 invest 1/4 in bonds 1/4 in market 1/2 in real estate
40-50 invest 1/2 in bonds, 1/4 in market, 1/4 in real estate
50-60 invest 3/4 in bonds, 1/4 in market in dividend bearing
60+ kill myself if I only had $1/2 mil in net worth
Malislamusrex

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You assume too much. I am for more experienced than you are.

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Malislamusrex wrote:

PatrickGHBusan wrote:

Also it would not be 7000$ per house because you would have to pay for repairs, upkeep, city taxes.

that income is also there only if you manage to have tenants occupy your properties all the time.

you will also pay taxes (in many countries) on the income generated by your revenue generating properties (the rent you collect).

In this particular field and considering we own two properties, one of which is an apt building...yep I am more of an expert than you are. Wink

Or, just believe you can buy 5 villas and that they will generate money all on their own for no effort on your part. Laughing
Malislamusrex

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You assume too much. I am for more experienced than you are.

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Malislamusrex wrote:

PatrickGHBusan wrote:

PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok you win with your 4 villas for 500 000 becoming money making machines with no effort or expense on your part.

Let us know how that turns out should you ever win that 500 000$.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Malislamusrex wrote:
That's the deposit.

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
buy 4 houses with 500 000 $?

Where in Uganda?

Then you're paying a mortgage. And you're dealing with tenants... AND upkeep.

For those that I know who do this, it very easily becomes a full time job. And it's not for everyone.

Yes, totally. Tenants can be a nightmare.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: