Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Louis CK
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Louis CK Reply with quote

Was wondering about others opinions of this guy. He's supposedly the no.1 stand-up comedian in the US at the moment. Also has a TV series currently showing on HBO which is critically acclaimed and has very high ratings. Anyway after reading all the accolades, I decided to check him out.

Have to admit though, his brand of comedy leaves me cold. I've caught a few of his stand-up routines on youtube and downloaded a number of episodes from his TV series but I have to say after watching all these, he just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. Cant really put my finger on it, maybe I'm missing something or just getting old. He kindof covers the same territory as Billy Connolly (body fluid jokes, gags about penises, vaginas etc) but whereas I find Connolly geniuinely hilarious in a real liberating kindof way, I just find Louis CK.....nasty I guess.

As I said, I'm not really criticising the guy. Maybe the fact that I'm not American also doesnt help me pick up the more subtle aspects of his humour. Anyway, interested in what others think.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked him out on YouTube and thought he was very funny. I can see what you mean by being nasty sometimes, he does come close to being offensive but it worked for me. As a Brit I had no idea what he was going on about in the restaurant breakfast ordering bit though.
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is brilliant. I am British, but I have always loved American standup, like Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Bill Hicks, Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, Patton Oswalt and Louis CK.
His HBO specials are hilarious (as one of them is aptly named). He also had a one-season-and-cancelled sitcom called Lucky Louie, which was one of the funniest things on TV at the time.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband got me into his comedy. My favorite bit is when he talks about smashing his daughters at Monopoly.
SpiralStaircase

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
I think he is brilliant. I am British, but I have always loved American standup, like Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Bill Hicks, Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, Patton Oswalt and Louis CK

Louis CK = George Carlin at his worst. Points for breathing though.
Unibrow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis CK is hilarious. I love his show.
joeteacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Louie!!

Start with his HBO specials first. Watch them in order because he really talks about being married, then having kids, then being divorced. Then get into his new show Louie on FX. He did have a show called Lucky Louie that was on HBO but it was cancelled some years ago. His new show is very New Yorky (a tad bit of Woody Allen in there). It's not a laugh-a-minute kind of series, it's actually got some substance.

His humor is not for everyone. Bag of dicks.
Gorf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of his stand up. I get that he really loves his daughters and whatnot, but personally I'm not really moved in any particular way by the tales of single parents. I think it mostly appeals to parents, and I have no kids, so I can't really get into it.

His tribute to Carlin (who is awesome) however, was really heartfelt and moving, I liked that more than any of the stand up I've seen him do.
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiralStaircase wrote:
cj1976 wrote:
I think he is brilliant. I am British, but I have always loved American standup, like Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Bill Hicks, Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, Patton Oswalt and Louis CK

Louis CK = George Carlin at his worst. Points for breathing though.

Points for breathing. Nice way to make it a personal issue. I watched Louis CK in Shameless and I laughed out loud. I have never seen Carlin (though I know how respected he is), so why don't you be a sport and recommend something for me?
SpiralStaircase

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Points for breathing. Nice way to make it a personal issue. I watched Louis CK in Shameless and I laughed out loud. I have never seen Carlin (though I know how respected he is), so why don't you be a sport and recommend something for me?

Was referring to the fact that George Carlin is unfortunately static. CK is still a work in progress and could very well reach the brilliance that was GC. Took decades for Carlin to hone his craft.
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiralStaircase wrote:
Quote:

Was referring to the fact that George Carlin is unfortunately static. CK is still a work in progress and could very well reach the brilliance that was GC. Took decades for Carlin to hone his craft.

Apologies - I didn't get the reference. I will youtube some George Carlin at the weekend when I have some cold beer in the fridge!
Jaffazoid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely my favourite stand-up comedian of all time. He just says the things that most people think but would never dare to say out loud, and I really relate to everything he says on a crazy level. Also his facial expressions crack me up to no end.
flakfizer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the first two episodes of his show and was very unimpressed. Whenever I hear a comedian described as someone who "says the things that others are thinking but wouldn't dare say," I pretty much know what to expect and it's not my cup of tea.
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the guy's stand up but I couldn't get into his show for some reason.
SpiralStaircase

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apologies - I didn't get the reference. I will youtube some George Carlin at the weekend when I have some cold beer in the fridge!

No worries.

Would recommend anything from the 80s on. Carlin's HBO specials are a great place to start. 'You are all Diseased' and 'Complaints and Grievances,' are him at his best. You can also search for his name and random social issues (abortion, religion, airport security, military, terrorism, endangered species)...

His interviews are great too. (Note: coarse language)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABxIJ8ONGeQ

Last edited by SpiralStaircase on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: