Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Louis CK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpiralStaircase

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitch Hedburg is (was) great too. Like Seinfeld on crack.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiralStaircase wrote:

I saw Hedberg live twice. One of those times he did like five minutes on these mini bananas he said were in his dressing room and it was so funny. Like, if you slip on one of those peels do you just drop to kneel? I forget, was definitely high.
SpiralStaircase

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
SpiralStaircase wrote:

I saw Hedberg live twice. One of those times he did like five minutes on these mini bananas he said were in his dressing room and it was so funny. Like, if you slip on one of those peels do you just drop to kneel? I forget, was definitely high.

I had a friend drag me to see him in Montreal. Had no idea who he was. First 10 minutes of his set was met with dead silence. I remember wondering whether his delivery was an act or if he had some major problems with anxiety. By the end of the night he had the entire place in stiches.

Would not rank him with Carlin, Pryor or Hicks, but he will always be one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QljBEqzJN-M&feature=related
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiralStaircase wrote:
Took decades for Carlin to hone his craft.

Carlin was brilliant right from the start.
And just kept getting better.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlin and Hicks are my top two. They were on a different level. I've enjoyed what I've sweb from CK.
SpiralStaircase

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
SpiralStaircase wrote:
Took decades for Carlin to hone his craft.

Carlin was brilliant right from the start.
And just kept getting better.

Agreed. One could argue though that his earlier work was simply the product of a great comedian. From say the late '70s onward; he became something much more than that. That is why I find including him with the likes of a CK Louis or Chris Rock a great disservice.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
Carlin and Hicks are my top two. They were on a different level. I've enjoyed what I've sweb from CK.

sweb?
Some new web viewing neologism?

Just guessing from the context that it might be 'seen'...but some interesting typing dyslexia must have occurred for that final result. Wink
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:

sweb?
Some new web viewing neologism?

Just guessing from the context that it might be 'seen'...but some interesting typing dyslexia must have occurred for that final result. Wink

Where's this guy from, the 2000s? Get your sweb on old man. Yeah... Was supposed to be 'seen'. Phone phart.
DejaVu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeteacher wrote:
Love Louie!!

Start with his HBO specials first. Watch them in order because he really talks about being married, then having kids, then being divorced. Then get into his new show Louie on FX. He did have a show called Lucky Louie that was on HBO but it was cancelled some years ago. His new show is very New Yorky (a tad bit of Woody Allen in there). It's not a laugh-a-minute kind of series, it's actually got some substance.

His humor is not for everyone. Bag of dicks.

This!!! If don't like him because his humor is too blue/childish/immature/whatever, he explains this reason in his speech dedicated to Carlin. It's all that's left after you've displayed your entire soul.
The more he does, the more he opens up and finds new material about himself as a person. I think the only time I've seen a comedian as a real person was when watching all of his stuff in order. You can see him getting more introspective with every new show.
But maybe you also have to be a cynical, depressed, psycho to get him.
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see the love for Louie CK.

I've watched everything of his that I can find on the net. Got into his stand-up a long time ago, and love his TV shows too.

Another great comedian out there: Bill Burr.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

...two more states and you're in Ohio.

...why didn't I think of that?

...that was the funny thing about Hitler.Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT2A8IDgbF0&feature=related
falco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...so I've looked at a few more clips and Louie's standup and TV series. Have to say though, I still dont get it. I just dont feel the love. At times when he isnt just being gross, Louie is humorous but I've never LAUGHED at any thing I've seen yet. When I say LAUGH, I mean falling on the floor laughing out loud, with a deep belly laugh. I remember watching Billy Connolly and ending up laughing until I had tears in my eyes. I guess like any art form, humour is subjective however, but Louie CK's brand of humour doesnt come anywhere near Billy Connolly, Pryor or even someone like Rowan Atkinson in my honest opinion anyway. I guess the word I'm looking for is trancendent....Louie CK's humour isnt TRANSCENDENT, at least for someone who's supposed to be the no.1 comic in the USA. Just humorous and occasionally funny. Thats all.
flakfizer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falco wrote:
OK...so I've looked at a few more clips and Louie's standup and TV series. Have to say though, I still dont get it. I just dont feel the love. At times when he isnt just being gross, Louie is humorous but I've never LAUGHED at any thing I've seen yet. When I say LAUGH, I mean falling on the floor laughing out loud, with a deep belly laugh. I remember watching Billy Connolly and ending up laughing until I had tears in my eyes. I guess like any art form, humour is subjective however, but Louie CK's brand of humour doesnt come anywhere near Billy Connolly, Pryor or even someone like Rowan Atkinson in my honest opinion anyway. I guess the word I'm looking for is trancendent....Louie CK's humour isnt TRANSCENDENT, at least for someone who's supposed to be the no.1 comic in the USA. Just humorous and occasionally funny. Thats all.

Rowan Atkinson? Does he do stand up too? Because Mr. Bean is bloody awful.
falco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry....slight error there on my part. Atkinson's stuff wasnt really stand-up as its defined today but more like comedy skits in front of a live audience. Check out his stuff at The Secret Policemans Ball on youtube - priceless. Back in the days when he was actually funny....mid 80's I think.

Yeah, your right about Mr Bean. The movies have stunk BAD! The first couple of TV series were pretty damn good though.
Mix1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

+1
Bill Burr is hilarious and edgy.

More in your face type comedy than Louis CK. If you're a guy and haven't seen Bill Burr, do it!
The average feminist will hate Bill Burr, but he's got his finger on the pulse of how a lot of guys really feel about certain things and he doesn't sugar coat anything.

(Not taking anything away from Louis CK; it's just a different style)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: