Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does your Paris Baguette try to cheat on price?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
LOL at all the Beta males saying to go back and apologize. I swear most of you were born female.
I'm still asking, won't he lose face if he goes back and apologizes? All you apologists say to understand and respect the culture, well, you'd never see an ajussi apologize the next day for something like this.

Your stuck in a country you don't like because your wife makes more money than you, you're a beta male, bro.

In base pay, yes. But hey, I really don't care if you want to call me an alpha or a beta male.... I'm neither. You see, the thing that sucks most about having a wife that works her tootie off as a manager in a large company is that you end up not seeing her much (and when you do, she's too tired). She comes home with her stomach twisted in knots and envys my 4+ months per year of paid vacation.

So, the truth is... I'm neither an alpha male or a beta male... I am a MASTER-BETA male! Laughing
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Leon wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
LOL at all the Beta males saying to go back and apologize. I swear most of you were born female.
I'm still asking, won't he lose face if he goes back and apologizes? All you apologists say to understand and respect the culture, well, you'd never see an ajussi apologize the next day for something like this.

Your stuck in a country you don't like because your wife makes more money than you, you're a beta male, bro.

In base pay, yes. But hey, I really don't care if you want to call me an alpha or a beta male.... I'm neither. You see, the thing that sucks most about having a wife that works her tootie off as a manager in a large company is that you end up not seeing her much (and when you do, she's too tired). She comes home with her stomach twisted in knots and envys my 4+ months per year of paid vacation.

So, the truth is... I'm neither an alpha male or a beta male... I am a MASTER-BETA male! Laughing

hmm...am I late in putting together that D7 and Swampy were the same person?
Damn...I feel like I've just been Dereked. Wink

Last edited by The Cosmic Hum on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
nautilus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Does your Paris Baguette try to cheat on price? Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
nautilus wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
The PB store near my home is great. No probs. But the one near work really angered me.

So I opened the package and said, "Ok, I will take just one." She then said I cannot do that and must buy the full package. Furthermore, she gave me a very sour look for opening the package. After that look, I just told her to cancel everything and I left.

Rolling Eyes

Another pennypinching scrooge.

The number of expat tightwads in this country is off the scale.

Seriously, are you going to get off of the "penny-pinching" thing? Aren't you the guy that complains every-other thread that people aren't interested in buying your drinks for you or something?

You go ahead and complain about others "penny-pinching." For all we know, you are in debt up to your ears. Personally, I don't care to be.

Some people instinctively know that the warmth and goodwill of your local store attendant is more valuable than causing a scene over 300 won.

Some people instinctively know that building good human relationships is a better endeavour to be at than going around agonizing over every cent.

Some people, who have probably performed customer service jobs before, realise that any sales gimmicks are likely not the idea of the person at the till but the manager or even top executives. Its just the person at the till who gets to bear the brunt for it.

other people never realise any of this, and miss the point in many other areas of life too.

How are you going to be remembered? that guy who was always fretting about 100 won while half the world doesn't even have enough food to eat?
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate Paris Baguette because I feel so damn reliant on it sometimes. At my last two jobs, if I didn't make a lunch or if I was in a hurry, literally the only quick option on the go was PB. It's hauntingly convenient and seemingly everywhere. So, I'm sure I've been ripped off since I only go there when I'm late.
giraffe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the price is too good to be true chances are that the price put up is not the final price ( unless the item was put into a basket near the door /aside from all the other fresh product)... I dont really find this deceiving though. It's pretty common in korea to sell by weight and even by piece...

PB does normally sell single egg tarts .. at least at all the PB's i go too.. They must have run out of the singles... Sure they could have opened a bag for you and sell you one... If they had common sense and cared about the customer they would have done this for you. But honestly what you did is a BIG BIG NONONO anywhere in the world. You should have just left the egg tarts at the counter and found something else or gone somewhere else... Theres no excuse for this kind of behavior even if they tried to "deceive". Just unacceptable in my books...

What I'm going to write in the following has nothign to do with your bread story but just wanted to share....

The other day i wanted to buy 1 tomato from a veggie street vendor. Everyone sells it by the KG. no one wanted to sell me just 1. ITs kinda ridiculous when you think about it. These poor looking old ladies not willing to take my money just for 1 tomato. They were only selling a bunch of tomatoes for 5000 won. I even tried telling them i would give them 2000 won just for 1 tomato. no one was willing. Thing is I dont mind paying the 5000 for like a basket of tomatoes but I know 70% of them will go to waste if i buy them.. Anyways instead of getting angry and making a scene I just went else where ( there were must have been a dozen ajumma veggie stands on the same street). After trying over 5 different veggie vendors I finally found one willing to sell me just 1 tomato. She wanted 1000 won for one which I paid and then ajumma gave me 2 extra tomatoes.... POint is, if you're not happy with the price at the cash/ teller and if you tried arguing the price when you think they are wrong .. just go else where.. someone else will be happy to take your money and take care of you...
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
JustinC wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
highstreet wrote:
It clearly states price for one. Though, in small print.

You could have just asked if you could purchase one before opening it.

This stuff happens to me in convenience stores. Can of coffee will say 600won, but then the guy tells me it's that price if I use some special credit card. Then I do what most normal people do, I either just buy it or go back and pick something else out.

I definitely don't run to Dave's and accuse them of trying to deceive me,

The arguments above about "meat" and "canned coffee" do not hold water.

You're comparing individual, countable items to non-count items.

Basic English, people.

Since when is a pound of meat or coffee uncountable?

Do you fill up at the gas station and then cry about having to pay more than $4?

Back to the topic, the pricing is obviously there to deceive you and they (the owners, not the poor shop staff) are counting on you being too negligent or embarrassed to change your mind.

BTW this thread is hysterical! Well done.

How realistic is it for one to open a package of meat, grab a handful of it, and ask to pay for that? A bit messy and ridiculous, no?

I would have thought the same about opening a package of pastries and demanding to purchase only one, what with their stickiness and crumbs and all.

Again, sign says- Ground Beef $7.50/lb. You grab a 2.35lb package of it. Do you expect to pay 7.50? Do you open it up? It's the same thing as the egg bread.

Haven't you noticed how NO ONE is defending your decision to open the package and attempt to purchase a single? Isn't that a sign that in that case, you were wrong.

That is unless you did it simply to retaliate for the bait and switch and be a jerk. In which case if you want to stand behind your jerk move as a jerk move for the sake of being a jerk, I'd give it a bit more appreciation. At least you aren't boring.

Nothing like an honest blow-up and tantrum. Like a manager getting ejected at a baseball game. Might as well kick some dirt and dig up the bases and throw a rosin bag grenade at the ump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf9E1zhnFec
Kirkasu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar experience this morning. Stopped at a CU and discovered a 2+1 on some 2,200 won canned coffee, so I picked up three different flavors and headed to the counter. The clerk tried to charge me 6,400 won, and I was like "WTF?" So, she took me to the cooler and showed me that, even though the ads for the special were on all the racks, only some of them held the relevant coffee can. I had picked up one that look almost identical, but was, indeed, not on sale and, instead, cost 2,000 won.

So, I shoved the coffee can down her throat and took a dump on her twitching, soon-to-be lifeless body. Then I did the Gangnam Style dance on the way out the door with my two free coffees.

Try to fool an obviously alpha male with less-than-perfect signage, will ya??
highstreet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A true Alpha would have walked in, grabbed some cans, flex a double front bi pose, get the girls number, and walk out without closing the door letting all the cold air in
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: crying Reply with quote

Why are we crying over 3200 won? It's not something to get bent out of shape over. Sounds to me you need to go home for a vacation for a while. I had a kimbap nara owner complain to me for using a debit card instead of cash to pay after they had forgot my order and didn't even give me a knife to cut the tonkatsu. I just didn't go back after that. There are plenty of other stores. The OP shouldn't have opened the package and for doing so just makes him look like a whiny child.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you guys sure suck at math.... and reading.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
Leon wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:

Damn...I feel like I've just been Dereked. Wink

Yeah, that's it... I'm D7. I'm also a mod on here, so be careful what you say. Laughing
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
JustinC wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
highstreet wrote:
It clearly states price for one. Though, in small print.

You could have just asked if you could purchase one before opening it.

This stuff happens to me in convenience stores. Can of coffee will say 600won, but then the guy tells me it's that price if I use some special credit card. Then I do what most normal people do, I either just buy it or go back and pick something else out.

I definitely don't run to Dave's and accuse them of trying to deceive me,

The arguments above about "meat" and "canned coffee" do not hold water.

You're comparing individual, countable items to non-count items.

Basic English, people.

Since when is a pound of meat or coffee uncountable?

Do you fill up at the gas station and then cry about having to pay more than $4?

Back to the topic, the pricing is obviously there to deceive you and they (the owners, not the poor shop staff) are counting on you being too negligent or embarrassed to change your mind.

BTW this thread is hysterical! Well done.

How realistic is it for one to open a package of meat, grab a handful of it, and ask to pay for that? A bit messy and ridiculous, no?

I would have thought the same about opening a package of pastries and demanding to purchase only one, what with their stickiness and crumbs and all.

Umm.... not sticky pastries... Sorry... fail.

Nothing like watching a few insecure gyopos with hagwon jobs getting so riled-up. This is true entertainment! Laughing Laughing
thebearofbundang

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Leon wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:

So, the truth is... I'm neither an alpha male or a beta male... I am a MASTER-BETA male!

Damn...I feel like I've just been Dereked.

Lol.. I was wondering the same.. Makes sense now..
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebearofbundang wrote:
Quote:

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Leon wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:

So, the truth is... I'm neither an alpha male or a beta male... I am a MASTER-BETA male!

Damn...I feel like I've just been Dereked.

Lol.. I was wondering the same.. Makes sense now..

Don't start pushing this rumor. The mods will all be scratching their heads wondering why the IP's don't match.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Does your Paris Baguette try to cheat on price? Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
When I saw the price ring up as 3200 won, I asked why.

How is that bad reading and poor math? You said here clearly that it rang up 3200 won. Putting that aside who cares? Crying over split milk and a gross overreaction on your part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: