Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some of Obama's Accomplishments (so far)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Is the present relationship between corporate profits and wages?

I enjoy this. The liberal will one the one hand rant about the 1% and then breathlessly celebrate the gains of the 1% as some kind of liberal victory.
Titus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderates sit at that special spot where the two sides of the scam meet. A least those who faithfully pick sides see the bs of the other. (in response to your first reply).

Point is, the equity market today is as useful a measure of economic heath as aggregate fingernails discarded.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
What Is the present relationship between corporate profits and wages?

Of course this one of the many many factors of the stock markets rise (lower labor costs because of the recession making profits higher) but their are many other factors too including money that was once side lined now being infused into the market because of fear from 2008 has passed.
Titus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to follow, the money was 'on the sidelines' but is now 'in the game' and the game is leveraged high frequency speculation in equities and this is a sign of the success (though not successful enough cause of the darn republicans) of Mr asbergers version of Keynes?

Have I got it?
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unposter wrote:

Again, Obama is just a man. You can blame everything in the world on him if you want but it would a gross over-simplification. Some may say his accomplishments have been small but I don't think so. .

If the blame placed on him would be a gross over-simplification because he "is just a man" it strikes me it would work the same way for his "accomplishments"
Unposter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at it in context, I mean you can blame him for the military industrial complex, which I agree has far too much power and Obama did little to reign in, or you can say that no president since world war II has either, despite Eisenhower's warning. At what point are you placing too much responsibility for all the problems of the world on Obama and at what point say Obama is just a man and he can only do so much?
Titus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has he tried?
visitorq

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:
Titus wrote:
Wages are down and equities are up. Hint. Purchasing power is down and equities are up. Hint hint.

your wrong credit is not the answer, credit is down under Obama and savings rates are up. There was a lot of cash that left the markets out of fear after the crash of 2008. That money is now coming back into the market. This is exactly what was supposes to happen.

What?

Laughing

My thoughts exactly.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unibrow wrote:
Killed American citizens without a trial, unprecedented use of drone warfare, expansion of drones to Yemen, Somalia, and who knows where else.

I totally agree that this is a serious problem, but I need to ask what alternative policy you think should be implemented.

A few years back on this site I said that the way forward was to turn away from conventional types of warfare and institute covert types. I am not at all comfortable with what has turned into drone warfare, but I very much need to hear an alternative to the threat that confronts us.

Are you saying that international terrorism is not a threat?

If it is a threat, what policy are you proposing as a way of dealing with that threat?
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:
Titus wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:
Titus wrote:
Wages are down and equities are up. Hint. Purchasing power is down and equities are up. Hint hint.

your wrong credit is not the answer, credit is down under Obama and savings rates are up. There was a lot of cash that left the markets out of fear after the crash of 2008. That money is now coming back into the market. This is exactly what was supposes to happen.

What?

Laughing

My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
The cash that is held either in savings or in low-risk, low-yield investment vehicles, such as certificates of deposits (CDs), instead of being placed in investments that have the potential for greater rewards, such as the stock market. Money on the sidelines is kept away from risk, especially during periods of economic or market uncertainty.

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/money-on-the-sidelines.asp#ixzz2B4OVmEJ7

The amount of money in these types of assets peaked in 2009 when the market reached it's lowest levels.

Here is a graph of the trillions on the sidelines and it peaked in 2009. People are not as afraid to invest now and the money is coming back.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/3-charts-money-sidelines

Quote:
Of course this one of the many many factors of the stock markets rise (lower labor costs because of the recession making profits higher) but their are many other factors too including money that was once side lined now being infused into the market because of fear from 2008 has passed.[quote="No_hite_pls"]

What is wrong with you guys, I made a good point. Money has been coming back into markets during Obama's term. There are many factors for this including money coming into the equity markets from the sidelines.
Unibrow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unposter wrote:
While my post was primarily for educational purposes, not politics, I do feel that I want to respond to Unibrow's post.

1. Kowtowing to Israel, letting them build settlements and further entrench the apartheid regime.

Why do you believe this? For an American President, he has been surprisingly even-handed and quite disliked in Israel. Bush and Clinton were much worse. Also, do you think he has the power, should use his power or has a moral right to use American power to interfer in other country's policies?

2. Support of coups in Honduras and Paraguay.

Sorry to show my ignorance, seriously, I have no idea what you are talking about? I would be more than willing to be educated on this topic though. Again, do you think he has the power, should use his power or has a moral right to use American power to interfer in other country's policies?

3. Failure to negotiate with Iran.

What should we be negotiating? Why do you think negotiating would work? Why don't you think any negotiating hasn't been done behind the scenes?

6. The surge in Afghanistan

Unlike Bush's surge of Iraq; this has been highly effective. It is also over and Obama is doing his best to end the U.S. military presence in Afghanistan.

7. basing troops in Australia and Poland and who knows where else

I don't know what you are talking about or why this is a problem but I am willing to listen.

8. Silence on Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and other countries where people are struggling for freedom

He has worked hard to help those involved in the Arab Spring where he could and where it would not put too many American lives at risk. I cannot fault him for his efforts here.

1. Just because he has a testy relationship with Bibi doesn't mean that he doesn't support Israel 100%. In fact, we vetoed a UN resolution that was actually our stated policy on settlements, simply because Israel wanted us to! He has made no progress on actually pushing Israel to live up to their past promises and agreements, and settlements are expanding faster and faster.

2. Zelaya in Honduras, 2009. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Honduran_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat
Lugo in Paraguay http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguay#Post-1979
"On 21 June 2012, impeachment proceedings against President Lugo began in the country's lower house, controlled by his opponents. Lugo was given less than twenty-four hours to prepare for the proceedings and only two hours in which to mount a defense.[17] Impeachment was quickly approved and the resulting trial in Paraguay's Senate, also controlled by the opposition, ended with the removal of Lugo from office and Vice President Federico Franco assuming the duties of president."

3. Negotiating with Iran would be more helpful then radicalizing their population with harsh sanctions and isolating them. Even our isolation hasn't worked, as they are still selling oil to other countries. While it's hgihly lilely that US Navy and their Iranian counterparts talk to avoid incidents in the Persian Gulf, we need to have direct negotiations. We turned down Brazil's generous offer, and have yet to offer an alternative. Despite their being no evidence that Iran is trying to get a nuclear weapon, Israel and some people in the US Government are actively pursuing war with Iran and regime change. Saddam was #1. Syria was #2. Iran was #3.

6. Highly successful? Are you kidding me? The Taliban is gaining ground and support, Afghan troops are killing our troops and those of our allies, and the government is still corrupt and ineffective as ever. The surge hasn't worked and I'd love to see your source where it was "highly successful."

7. Why do we need troops in Australia? Why in Poland? Who are we trying to fight? This simply takes more tax dollars and builds yet more bases and facilities across the world.

8. No he hasn't. In US allies like Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, dissent has been brutally suppressed, particularly in Bahrain. But in the case of Libya Obama took the opportunity to oust a leader with few allies and friends. Even though Ghadaffi was "hated" it took nearly a year to overthrow him, and he still has supporters in parts of the country. Libya is a mess, and the weapons given to the rebels have directly contributed to the Islamist statelet currently operating in northern Mali. Don't think Iran hasn't taken note of this either. Saddam and Ghadaffi give up the search for nukes? Gone and brutally murdered or executed. North Korea? Still around with no threat of outside regime change.

In Syria, the administration is providing support and weapons to al-Qaeda and their sympathizers. Foreign fighters are streaming into Syria. The rebels are massacring Christians and other minorities, killing civilians, and perpetrating gross war crimes. We are supporting jihadists, just like in Kosovo.

Obama has been a failure. There is only so much one man can do, this is true. But particularly in 1, 2, 3, and 6, Obama could have acted differently and done a lot more. I think he's a good person and good at heart, but overall he is not the strongest of leaders.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: