Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you afraid to eat Chinese kimchi?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Are you afraid to eat Chinese kimchi? Reply with quote

Seeing more if my Korean friends turn up their noses and refuse to eat the kimchi at some small restaurants in my work area. They claim it looks Chinese and contains red dye.

Why would they choose to serve cheap Chinese kimchi instead of local?

Thoughts?
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you afraid to eat Chinese kimchi? Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Why would they choose to serve cheap Chinese kimchi instead of local?

Answered your own question.
highstreet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably cause it's cheaper. I'm wary of food made in China. I don't really have a good reason to be, probably just the US/Korean media putting ideas in my head
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High salt and high red pepper content leads to increased chances of stomach cancer. Your friends may be scared of Chinese kimchi but they should be scared of overindulging in any kimchi. Stomach cancer rates here are way above average for a reason. Korean food is a killer.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:

Korean food is a killer.

And some of you guys think the stuff I say is absurd, wow.

The Chinese really know how to cook, I miss the variety of flavors in China. But the Chinese red powder used in fake kimchi doesn't mix right with the Korean cabbage, that's what the Koreans say.
detonate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ate it alot for a month at a goshiwon since it was free and the only kind they had. I have balls and a stomach of steel so, no, I am not afraid. Bowel movements and my nightly alpha male duties are another story altogether, unfortunately.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does one even look for when trying to determine if it's Chinese or not?
giraffe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
What does one even look for when trying to determine if it's Chinese or not?

They look on the walls/ signs in the restaurant. you might not notice it but ALOT of places will list where the meat and kimchi is from. At least , here in Daejeon anyways. Most smaller restaurants I've been too recently all say "김치 중국산" .. if you look around the restaurant they might have some signs hidden somewhere .. sometimes they are in your face, other time its kinda blends into the decor and hard to see..
newb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
High salt and high red pepper content leads to increased chances of stomach cancer. Your friends may be scared of Chinese kimchi but they should be scared of overindulging in any kimchi. Stomach cancer rates here are way above average for a reason. Korean food is a killer.

I'm afraid of kimchi, PERIOD.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Not at all, you cheeky kyopo. It's established as fact that the high salt content in the majority of Korean food is the reason that stomach cancer is so high here. I'd also advise to not overindulge in red pepper paste and soju. Both of which are bad for your health.
cabeza

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
Quote:

Not at all, you cheeky kyopo. It's established as fact that the high salt content in the majority of Korean food is the reason that stomach cancer is so high here. I'd also advise to not overindulge in red pepper paste and soju. Both of which are bad for your health.

I'm pretty sure it's the fermentation that is linked to stomach cancer, not salt, which is of course still bad for, but in other ways.

The researchers, all South Korean, report that kimchi and other spicy and fermented foods could be linked to the most common cancer among Koreans. Rates of gastric cancer among Koreans and Japanese are 10 times higher than in the United States.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/may/21/world/fg-kimchi21
fermentation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cabeza wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's the fermentation that is linked to stomach cancer

I take offense to that. I never gave noone cancer.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's the fermentation that is linked to stomach cancer, not salt, which is of course still bad for, but in other ways.

The researchers, all South Korean, report that kimchi and other spicy and fermented foods could be linked to the most common cancer among Koreans. Rates of gastric cancer among Koreans and Japanese are 10 times higher than in the United States.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/may/21/world/fg-kimchi21

It's a very interesting subject with different papers citing different reasons for the stomach cancer rates being so high. I have read some that state it is the high amount of salt used in Korean food, and now (thanks to you) I have read that it is the fermentation.
Whatever the reason I think it is important to highlight that it is a real problem that all of us should be aware of. To deny it as "absurd" is to risk the health of yourself and your family.
GoldMember

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago there was an article in the Korea Herald about how inferior Chinese Kimchi is to Korean Kimchi. It went on to say that restaurant goers were being duped, because they can't tell the difference!
goreality

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Chinese people won't even eat things produced in China if they can afford not to....why would anyone expect Koreans to take the risk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: