Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dental dilemma
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjurabong

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasmine,

I can only speak from my own experience, but I didn't have that sensation at all. If it were me, I would go back.
I have, however, had other people tell me that it took about 2 weeks to get accustomed to the feeling of having a strange crown in the mouth. I don't remember tightening to be an issue.

When I went in to get one of my crowns, the dentist wouldn't put it in because it didn't fit properly - he said that in the time between it being made and my appt. (1 week) some shrinkage had occured, and that this sometimes happens. Maybe your crown is not fitting properly? In my experience, and I"ve recently had 4 crowns put in, within a couple of hours I had forgotten I had work done....no tightening or discomfort.

Good luck!
Jasmine

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're dentist sounds awesome. Mine's nice but...

ugh! Ok, I'm going to give it until monday and if i still can't get floss in there, I'll have my Korean friend call and explain the situation.

Thanks for you for your advice. Yeah, about four teeth towards the front of the crown feel tight and I worry they'll go crooked.

Do you know how they would go about taking a crown off in order to fix it? Is it painful?
jjurabong

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had that experience, but I would think they would file it down the same way he might have done when shaping your tooth before putting the crown on, or maybe the way they drill away an old filling. It won't be painful, because there are no live nerves in the tooth anymore. However, the crown will be destroyed, and you will need to get another one - make sure that the dentist doesn't charge you for another one - it's his fault if the thing doesn't fit properly. Even though one of my crowns didn't fit, and my dentist had to take impressions of the tooth again, have another one made, and another fitting, he didn't charge me a cent extra.

Now that I've thought about it, after one treatment halfway through the root canal process, I came home with tightness and unbearable pain all through my jaw which didn't go away in a couple of hours. So I went right back, and it turned out my temporary filling was too high. Once he replaced it, the pain went away immediately. Maybe you just need a little bit of reshaping on your crown, which can be done without removing it, to relieve the pressure.

In the meantime, I suggest a little soju to kill the pain, and calm yer nerves. Razz
Jasmine

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe! I'll take that into consideration! Wink

I'll let you know how everything goes on Monday.

Many thanks for your help!
silver_butterfly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjurabong wrote:
Hi there
I have no insurance and so I paid total about 2,000, 000 including consultation, office visits, cleaning and 4 crowns. ( One crown was to replace a cracked tooth). I chose white crowns at 300,000 each, though the cheapest offered was 200,000.
After all that money, you can bet I'm brushing carefully these days. Smile

Wow! I went to see a denitst recommended on this site yesterday, everything was great except the price...I've been quoted 1 million 200/400,000 won per crown (I may need up to 4, at least 2 for sure), I need about 3-4 fillings (350-750,000 each), I asked about whitening which I was told was 800,000W I think, and I may need a root canal but they're not sure and no price quote thus far....this seems extremely expensive looking at your prices!!
Can anyone advise me somewhere else to go for these treatments who will do a great job, speak English and are within a price range I can ACTUALLY afford?
Thanks Smile
heydelores

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy with William Han at the London Dental Clinic in Gangnam. I've had a total of 20 appointments in the past 4 months for some difficult work, and it has cost me a little over W100,000 total, but I don't have my crowns yet. I hear that they're very expensive.

To get to the clinic, go out Exit 8 of Gangnam station and walk straight until you're standing in front of Starbuck's. Go in the revolving door next to Starbuck's and up to the 5th floor. Phone is 02-539-2876.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard Roark wrote:
don't believe everything they tell you. if you think you'll be going home in a few months, wait.

Where is "home" that it would be less expensive to go to a dentist without insurance?
jellobean

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Korea is much cheaper than Canada, but if the price is still a bit high for you, you can always go to Thailand.... My bf is doing that and the price of the vacation and the dental work is the same as (maybe even less than) getting the dental work done here Smile We have good friends in Bangkock who had already had work done there so we know its as good the websites claim. Thailand is a popular site for dental vacations for elderly from the US and Canada. Spend less money and get a vacation in the process.
Unibrow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any up to date information about dentistry in korea?
denverdeath

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unibrow wrote:
Is there any up to date information about dentistry in korea?

still pretty hit and miss. talk to people and go to a more reputable clinic, even if the cost is a bit more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: