Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When will the notice come out for GEPIK renewal?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebektionary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: When will the notice come out for GEPIK renewal? Reply with quote

I've been making a lot of threads lately. It's a busy time!

Anyway, does anyone have any idea when the notice will come in telling the GEPIK schools if they have the budget to rehire their teachers? I'm waiting anxiously. I heard November, but now November is over and my VP is saying December... but if anyone has more of a concrete idea, please let me know.
newb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you they are waiting on the election result.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school will decide after the start of vacation, which is 27th Dec, I think.
thebektionary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's way too late! My school will rehire me if they are given the budget to do so... but no one knows about that yet.
SpiralStaircase

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebektionary wrote:
That's way too late!

Actually that is quite early. The last time I worked for GEPIK they did a renewal survey in November/December. Teacher evaluations (by peers, not students) were due by the end of the December. Renewal offers were not made until the end of January. Contracts arrived in mid February.
thebektionary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, but I want to know sooner Laughing
dairyairy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seem to be many questions about GEPIK right now.
isitts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: When will the notice come out for GEPIK renewal? Reply with quote

thebektionary wrote:
I've been making a lot of threads lately. It's a busy time!

Anyway, does anyone have any idea when the notice will come in telling the GEPIK schools if they have the budget to rehire their teachers? I'm waiting anxiously. I heard November, but now November is over and my VP is saying December... but if anyone has more of a concrete idea, please let me know.

With the advent of D-10 visas, I'm not sure I'd stress about this. I wouldn't stress about it anyway since it's out of your control. These things are always last minute.

Even if you did know, your school often won't discuss your renewal until two months before the end of your contract...which, if you started last March, is January.
newb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: When will the notice come out for GEPIK renewal? Reply with quote

EPIK allows a little more than 3 months. Why couldn't GEPIK do the same?
SpiralStaircase

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: When will the notice come out for GEPIK renewal? Reply with quote

newb wrote:
EPIK allows a little more than 3 months. Why couldn't GEPIK do the same?

Perhaps it varies from POE to POE but Gangwon DCs were asked just last week for a list of teachers that were interested in renewal. Next step will be teacher evaluations (student and peer evaluations) and finally school recommendations.

Remember, while your school may have expressed interest in keeping you, nothing is set in stone until it is approved by the POE and you have a contract in hand.

OP: don't sweat it. If your school is happy with you, everything is working in your favor.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think Gangwondo's epik situation is applicable to the OP's question.

When I started in Gangwon, there were 12 epik teachers in the entire province. Five years later & a step ahead of other provinces, that ballooned to 500. A planned phasedown was part of the plan from the outset & thats been happening, but so far its been quite orderly. Schools know many months in advance if they're on the drop list. Gangwon has always been a bit of an epik renegade.

Elsewhere, it seems, budgeting is more haphazard & last-minute, depending on political winds. I feel for teachers caught in that uncertainty. Best luck, OP.
SpiralStaircase

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
I dont think Gangwondo's epik situation is applicable to the OP's question.

When I started in Gangwon, there were 12 epik teachers in the entire province. Five years later & a step ahead of other provinces, that ballooned to 500. A planned phasedown was part of the plan from the outset & thats been happening, but so far its been quite orderly. Schools know many months in advance if they're on the drop list. Gangwon has always been a bit of an epik renegade.

Elsewhere, it seems, budgeting is more haphazard & last-minute, depending on political winds. I feel for teachers caught in that uncertainty. Best luck, OP.

Spot on.
I heart Gangwon-do.
thebektionary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really an issue of my school liking me - it's about the budget. The notice hasn't been released to schools yet so no one knows but today my vice principal hinted to me that the principal doesn't want to spend the money on me anymore if the government doesn't give them the budget.
newb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebektionary wrote:
It's not really an issue of my school liking me - it's about the budget. The notice hasn't been released to schools yet so no one knows but today my vice principal hinted to me that the principal doesn't want to spend the money on me anymore if the government doesn't give them the budget.

Well then, what are you waiting for?
thebektionary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the government can provide the school with the budget for me then it's not a problem. That's what I'm waiting for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: