Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Four Hour Body
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kepler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is Tim now a world class chef in addition to all his other accomplishments?

Unlike his previous books, I doubt his new book will be on the New York Times bestseller list. I thought it was too disorganized and incoherent. It's odd that so many 5 star reviews appeared on amazon.com the first day that it was available for sale. The book is over 600 pages. I guess some people are very fast readers.

I think that much of Tim's success can be attributed to the fact that he's a single guy with a lot of a free time and money. He can pursue his hobbies full time. He can study a foreign language, cooking, dancing, kickboxing or whatever he desires full time. He's in a position that many adults are not in.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kepler wrote:

I think that much of Tim's success can be attributed to the fact that he's a single guy with a lot of a free time and money. He can pursue his hobbies full time. He can study a foreign language, cooking, dancing, kickboxing or whatever he desires full time. He's in a position that many adults are not in.

His success is because he mastered the art of BS and sells dreams to people who are too fat, lazy, stupid, broke, or not in the right social circles. Of course most don't really believe the fantasies, but they're entertaining to them nonetheless and make them feel good.
jennykwon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy is a clever scam artist, I'll give him that.
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoulsucker wrote:

This guy mentions "four hours of gym time"...how much time did he spend exercising OUTSIDE of the gym? A lot of the training I do can be done anywhere, using body weight and/or minimal training gear.

A good question. If he's training 4 hours and then walking everywhere etc.. However I train 3-4 hours a week on a super stripped down routine of compound lifts with outstanding results. For us normal fellows who don't desire to enter competitions a simple schedule of deads/squats/chins/bench is probably sufficient to get rid of fat and build muscle. As long as the diet is solid, 3-4 hours gym time is probably sufficient.

Unless you're already obese.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/fat-officially-incurable-according-to-science/

Quote:
Let's get this straight: The number of people who go from fat to thin, and stay there, statistically rounds down to zero.

Every study says so. No study says otherwise. None.

Oh, you can lose a ton of weight. You'll gain it back. Here's one study running the numbers. Here's a much larger analysis of every long-term weight loss study they could find. They all find the exact same thing: You can lose and keep off some minor amount, 10 or 15 pounds, for the rest of your life -- it's hard, but it can be done. Rarer cases may keep off a little more. But no one goes from actually fat to actually thin and stays thin permanently.

And when I say "no one," I mean those cases are so obscenely rare that they don't even appear on the chart. They can't even find enough such people to include in the studies. It's like trying to study people who have survived falling out of planes. Being fat is effectively incurable, every study shows it, and no one will admit it.

So the guy or girl you see in the "Before" and "After" photos in weight loss commercials, who completely changed body type with diet and exercise? You know, like Jared from Subway, who lost 230 pounds? Either they're about to be fat again in a couple of years, or they're a medical freak occurrence, like the sick guy who was told he had six months to live but miraculously survives 20 years. That guy exists, we all know famous examples. But it's a rare, freak situation, living in defiance of all of the physical processes at work.

How rare? Well, this person did the math, and as far as they could tell, two out of 1,000 Weight Watchers customers actually maintain large weight losses permanently. Two out of a thousand. That means if you are fat, you are 25 times more likely to survive getting shot in the head than to stop being fat.

Yes it is cracked.com but in the link they cite the data.

All these 4 hours to fit, leangains, weight watchers, etc are probably effective for those who need a few pounds off. If you're obese and looking for a magic trick to become thin, it's prolly not going to happen.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/fat-officially-incurable-according-to-science/

Wow that is a horribly depressing read. As someone who recently lost 50lbs, I refuse to believe it. Maybe it's that I didn't consider myself to be on a "diet" but a "lifestyle" change.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually enjoyed Four Hour Body, and have taken away a few things that I read and try to incorporate them into my daily routine.

I take Garlicin, or eat a lot of kimchi during meals, and ALA before each meal, drink a liter of ice cold water upon waking up, take a cold shower after my morning cardio, drink a cup of water with lemon juice squeezed in before my first meal, and added cat vomit abdominals, air squats, and my version of wall presses to my workouts.
D.D.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually returned this book for a refund the other day. The reason being that the stuff he suggests is not healthy. I have recently lost 27 pounds using another diet and bought this book thinking it would have some great new ideas. It just basically had ideas that were available in other books wrapped up in a new hype.

I knew he was talking crap when he tried to act like he had tips on how to heal injuries and he just gave examples that are quite basic if you are in the industry.

I think following a slow carb diet is good but you dont need this book to teach you anything a google search can't give.

The hcg diet is the most interesting diet currently out there and gets amazing results and after it is complete a thing like a slow carb diet can help to lose a few more pounds.

This guy is an amateur trying to act like an expert. Following his suggestions probably won't not lead to long lasting improvements in quality of life.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.D. wrote:
The hcg diet is the most interesting diet currently out there and gets amazing results and after it is complete a thing like a slow carb diet can help to lose a few more pounds.

This guy is an amateur trying to act like an expert. Following his suggestions probably won't not lead to long lasting improvements in quality of life.

So you believe the HCG diet helps improve quality of life? You must be bat sh* crazy to believe a diet that requires the user to spend hundreds on hormone drops or injections and consume a maximum of 500 calories a day as a means to a long lasting improvement in quality of life. Dropping 20 lbs in a month is not a justifiable end to destroy your body/wallet.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HCG? As in human chorionic gonadotropin??

I certainly hope not. That's one hormone I would very much stay away from.
D.D.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:
D.D. wrote:

So you believe the HCG diet helps improve quality of life? You must be bat sh* crazy to believe a diet that requires the user to spend hundreds on hormone drops or injections and consume a maximum of 500 calories a day as a means to a long lasting improvement in quality of life. Dropping 20 lbs in a month is not a justifiable end to destroy your body/wallet.

I talked to a lot of people before trying hcg and found it was the way many people were able to make consistant changes to their obesity.

Thanks for calling me crazy you have a wonderful way of expressing yourself. There is currently an obesity epidemic hitting many areas of the world and I was interested in finding out some ways to lose a few pounds.

My theory is that the food supply is tainted with a lot of additives that are making people fat. Combine that with a lot of laziness and we have an obesity problem.

Hcg is controversial and we could debate for hours without coming to a conclusion of whether or not taking a hormone is worse for your health than carrying around 20 to 30 extra pounds.

Here is what people say after doing an Hgc diet. They report often for the first time that they believe it is now possible to lose their weight. After trying many other methods they had lost hope. The biggest part of the diet is learning portion control and what not to eat.

So I lost 18 pounds in a month compared to 9 pounds in the previous months from other methods. I now know to stay away from sugars, procesed foods and to eat only stuff that I have measured out instead of freely eating what's around me.

I don't know if you have been obese before but it is not exactly easy to workout once you get to that point. People find after 1 round of hcg that they can start working out again without the pain they had before.

They are also really motivated to not go back to eating crappy foods.

With the assault on our bodies from food additives in processed foods it looks like hcg does a good job of breaking down those fat stores that our bodies have trouble dealing with.

I am not convinced about hcg but I do know that it gets results and has helped many people to lose up to 100 pounds, even more in some cases.
fermentation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where our species is at right now? Injecting hormones to get to a reasonable weight in order to be able to workout? How about having some restraint and grabbing a stalk of celery instead of stuffing down a twinkie? How about not worrying about additives by eating actual food? How about not being lazy once in a while?
silkhighway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't address the underlying root of why you're overweight or obese, you're not going to maintain it long term. Not being able to work out is a symptom, not a cause.

The good news is that overweight/obese people do not need drastic weight loss to have increased health benefits. Even losing 5-10% of their body-weight is enough to improve their health. I have a lot more faith in someone who addresses their underlying problems and loses weight slowly, than someone who takes drastic measures to lose weight and then tries to change their lifestyle to maintain it.
Perceptioncheck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.D. wrote:
I now know to stay away from sugars, procesed foods and to eat only stuff that I have measured out instead of freely eating what's around me.

A lot of people figure this out without taking hormones. It's not rocket science.

What I can't figure out is why so many people spend so much time and effort looking for some kind of magic pill which will make learning a language or losing weight easier, when that time and effort could be better spent actually trying to reach their goals. Four hour body indeed.
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perceptioncheck wrote:
D.D. wrote:
I now know to stay away from sugars, procesed foods and to eat only stuff that I have measured out instead of freely eating what's around me.

A lot of people figure this out without taking hormones. It's not rocket science.

What I can't figure out is why so many people spend so much time and effort looking for some kind of magic pill which will make learning a language or losing weight easier, when that time and effort could be better spent actually trying to reach their goals. Four hour body indeed.

I guess some people crave instant gratification, which is why they might be obese in the first place.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually used HCG years back, and out of ALL the hormonal drugs I've used, that was the only one that left me with side-effects.

I'm shocked that it's being touted as a "dietary aid" now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: