Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hagwon possibly giving bad reference!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littletelly94

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Hagwon possibly giving bad reference! Reply with quote

Long story short, I as I was finishing my contract at my last hogwan, they basically owed me two months pay and my severence. Eventually they did give me the two months' pay, but they never did give me the severence. Basically when I was asking to get paid, the hogwan boss would get really irritated and avoid me, etc.

If I knew someone, I would have them call and see what they say about me. Since I don't, I have a question ...

If I leave it off my resume, can they find out when I'm job hunting?

I feel stupid for leaving it on there since I've already sent it to a bunch of people.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you might do, is for some of the recruiters you apply to, list your Hogwan as a former work place. For other recruiters omit the Hagwon as a former work place. This might indicate if the ****** ** **** Hogwan is giving you a bad reference. If your "Rotten Hogwan" listed resume doesn't work, the other "Rotten Hogwan" not listed resume might work and you'll get a bite from a recruiter.

As far as the applications you've already sent out, not all recruiters or public schools check with Hogwans, because they're smart or honest, and they don't care what a Hogwan owner thinks.
EZE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment about public schools, but I really don't think hagwons or recruiters contact previous hagwons. I pulled a runner, came back to Korea, and was hired within 24 hours at the very first hagwon I visited.
littletelly94

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that sounds reassuring. I just hadn't heard back from a couple of recruiters after they demanded the reference.

I thought about doing that, young_clinton. But then realized I'd sent it to just about everyone under the sun. I did make another one and sent it to new people though.

Now I'm not that worried since I got an offer from one school, and I might possibly get another.
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Long story short, I as I was finishing my contract at my last hogwan, they basically owed me two months pay and my severence. Eventually they did give me the two months' pay, but they never did give me the severence. Basically when I was asking to get paid, the hogwan boss would get really irritated and avoid me, etc.

If I knew someone, I would have them call and see what they say about me. Since I don't, I have a question ...

If I leave it off my resume, can they find out when I'm job hunting?

I feel stupid for leaving it on there since I've already sent it to a bunch of people.

Did you take any sick days?
littletelly94

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you take any sick days?

Nope!
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littletelly94 wrote:
But then realized I'd sent it to just about everyone under the sun.

For schools and recruiters there is an issue with having to go through the business of contacting schools. Many just don't. If your resume is good enough I'll bet some public schools don't care about Hogwans either.
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you're going to be in Korea anyway, take your former crapwon boss to the labour board and get your severance.
GuessWho

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your new school, either a hogwon or a public school, submits your visa application documents to the immigration, the immigration is going to check your visa history and tell your new school about it. Good luck.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuessWho wrote:
When your new school, either a hogwon or a public school, submits your visa application documents to the immigration, the immigration is going to check your visa history and tell your new school about it. Good luck.

I don't think it's usual for immigration to tell a new school about the hirees visa history. Immigration usually only cares that you have all the proper documents in order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: