Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Significance of Korean hometown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Significance of Korean hometown Reply with quote

My cousin works at a high school in Gyeonggi province.

She was surprised to find out that most of the students have at least 1 parent who graduated from that high school.

She asked her Korean co-teacher why they stay so close to home and if it's common in Korea. Her co-teacher's reply: "oh yes, very common in Korea. It's because they have status in this area".

Interesting....

Any insight???

wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is this any different from anywhere else in the world? your family is raised in an area, everyone gets to know each other, they make their stake, generations proceed. same no matter where you go unless your society happens to be nomadic.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have is an insight into how old-boy network works in Korea. The good-old 선배-후배 thingy. However, people are a lot more mobile these days and those kind of patterns are mostly found in rural areas. (can happen in cities too if there aren't apatment metropolis).
Others: you owe allegiance to your military service, e.g. marines stick together, to your division if you were infantry (even though Korea does not use British style regiment system), etc. If you learnt martial arts then you owe allegiance to your master and his students. So if you've said "키워주세요" (please mentor me) then you are 'owned'. Biaatchi. Smile
saram_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
how is this any different from anywhere else in the world? your family is raised in an area, everyone gets to know each other, they make their stake, generations proceed. same no matter where you go unless your society happens to be nomadic.

I'm not getting the OP here much either.
A town in Gyeongi-- so its small and relatively rural in Korea..

Isn't it only perfectly normal that in most cases- at least one of the kids' parents go to the same school as the kids?
Myself and any kids I knew growing up would have been exactly the same..
Now I'm sure there are cities across the world that this wouldn't be the case... Surely most rural areas would be tho?

If someone asked my teacher's at school where I grew up they would also say something very similar to what the response was in this story..

A sense of home, of standing, of security etc are what people crave the world over.
To mark it down as something uniquely Korean is not the way to think IMO..
Maybe, I'm wrong but that's my experience..and other peoples' is different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: