Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Korean Court Case
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McQwaid wrote:
For example, if I spit on the ground in a Korea, and if observed by a Korean, well, often that would be seen as spitting on Korea. Or as in this threads case, if I was seen urinating on the ground in Korea, well, it is very likely that is seen as pissing on Korea. A Korean observed by a Korean peeing outside is just a dude having a leak, but a white skinned Westerner being observed peeing outside by a Korean(s) is a drunken disrespectful waygook pissing on Korea. It must be stopped! No other old country bloodline region I have lived in would go to this form of observation like I have seen in Korea IMO. My international Korean relations will even attest to this. The �others� and the �thems� are uniquely intense in Korea. I�m not surprised the OP and his buddy had problems with being observed ( or perceived to be ) urinating outside. They were pissing on Korea from the Korean observer�s point of view - hence, the apparent smackdown. I think all the cops and judges and the like are also frozen with the mindset that you pissed on "their" country. Even if you didn't do it, good luck with changing that perception. As we already know, one urinating outside is a very conceivable possibility in Korea.

That's a very keen observation - I pretty much feel the same way. Even in minor instances, it can either be an "offence" in a Korean's eye, or something that needs to be "taught". - I remember being "talked to" about Jaywalking by the k-police. I also remember standing there noting how many other "violations" were going on as they were "teaching me" how bad it was. Rolling Eyes
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinship wrote:
Quote:
You're mistaken in your idea that racial conflict in a different country has anything at all to do with a person, not of the predominant race in Korea, being attacked

No nor am I mistaken that you missed the point. I put it down to yours and other people's bias and lack of objectivity.

What bias do I have, in your esteemed opinion? Be sure to provide evidence of that bias. Try to remember that your statements alone are not evidence.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that Kinship's posts exhibit is a living, breathing example of the kind of attitudes that were/are faced by the OP and his buddy.

Good luck trying to convince him/her of anything.

Glad I left Korea.
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing the last 12 pages of this thread exhibit is that too many want to analyze an incident to death until it becomes an argument and a pissing contest about who's opinion is more correct, and who had cold hard evidence of this or that. (noone does unless they are working the CCTV monitors)

Id hate to think the thread would be closed on what otherwise was a situation that has developed into legal proceedings. Regardless of whether or not the OP was 100% factual in their statements, it is a nice bit of direct info from someone going through the process...only to have the issue taken over by some who cant help but make the thread about themselves.

Man, sometimes this place can be so anal. Some complain about a Korean looking for any little slip up by a foreigner and use it as an excuse to say/do/react a certain way...and yet here in our own forum it isn't much different. Express an opinion or otherwise make a STATEMENT and folks are asking you to cite references and sources, and belittling someone otherwise.

Forgive my rant, as I dont have any credible sources or factual information to back up my comments.

P.S. Sometimes I post drunk.

Peace~ Smile
kinship

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
The thing that Kinship's posts exhibit is a living, breathing example of the kind of attitudes that were/are faced by the OP and his buddy.

Good luck trying to convince him/her of anything.

Actually I was thinking the same thing about the OP, his friend and all those who support them.

Over the years of reading this and other westerner boards I noticed a trend that is very common among western native teachers. None of them can take responsibility for their actions or words. it is always the other guys fault.

The OP and his friend are no different. California Cali does wonderful gymnastics to avoid any responsibilities for his words and on it goes. I do not think I have seen so much finger pointing since grammar school
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinship wrote:
The OP and his friend are no different. California Cali does wonderful gymnastics to avoid any responsibilities for his words and on it goes.

You continue to make pronouncements such as this and yet when asked to provide evidence on which that "observation" is based, you merely make another such pronouncement.

So, here goes once again:

1. What wonderful gymnastics have I performed? Provide specific examples.

2. How have I avoided responsibility for my words and actions? Provide specific examples as to what words and what actions I'm avoiding responsibility for.
kinship

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You continue to make pronouncements such as this and yet when asked to provide evidence on which that "observation" is based, you merely make another such pronouncement.

So, here goes once again:

1. What wonderful gymnastics have I performed? Provide specific examples.

2. How have I avoided responsibility for my words and actions? Provide specific examples.

Right on cue. I knew this was going to be your response because it is your SOP. You are a reactionary and you took the bait. Why did you think I included your name in my previous post? I knew you would come with this response.

Your answer is--Read your own posts for that is where the evidence lies.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words, "kinship," you have nothing on which you've based your pronouncements about anyone else here. You are a liar and a troll.
crescent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! You addressed him by name BECAUSE you knew he'd respond? Hahaha!! Do these words register with you when you write them? Seriously, are you some sort of wican priest? Do you not think it was the fact you put his name there that he DID respond?
CentralCali's right. I don't often agree with him, but he's right. you make a lot of guesses and use what you think is psychology as a basis for 'evidence'.

Here are a few of the gems you wrote in this thread:

Evidence:
You ignored my point, so it must mean I'm right.
The story isn't consistent, so it must not be true.
The Korean had a broken nose, so the OP holds more fault than admitted.
Westerners are not known for their honesty, but there are only a few bad Koreans.
I bait people by addressing them to respond and then use it to prove they are reactionary.
This is what I think and if you don't agree then it's not worth discussing it.

What does this evidence tell you?

There are a lot of vocal apologists on this board. Why do they not agree with you? Take the tinfoil cone off your head and stop chanting 'ooooohm', and maybe things will start making sense.
kinship

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
In other words, "kinship," you have nothing on which you've based your pronouncements about anyone else here. You are a liar and a troll.

No but I see you making pronouncements without any evidence.
kinship

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are a lot of vocal apologists on this board. Why do they not agree with you

Their choice. I do not think we are getting the whole story and I think that the two men are condemning people they should not be condemning. What is wrong with that?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinship, can you in a mature and scientific fashion, please lay out your evidence supporting your version of events for the incident in question?

Put up or shut up.

After all in an unbiased discussion, science, fact, and logic are all that should influence someone's decision.

Remember, prior incidents involving other people are not evidence in a specific incident. Treat it like a legal case and investigation.
kinship

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Put up or shut up.

Already did that not going to rehash it.
crescent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinship wrote:
Quote:
There are a lot of vocal apologists on this board. Why do they not agree with you

Their choice. I do not think we are getting the whole story and I think that the two men are condemning people they should not be condemning. What is wrong with that?

What's wrong with that is "you think you are not getting the whole story'. Did you read what you wrote? YOU THINK. You have no proof and you've done nothing but resort to psychological guessing games as tactics.
Look at the list I posted one post up, of the things you said so far.
What's your conclusion of THAT evidence? Oh, you didn't address it, so it must mean I'm right.

And what's this? So vocal apologists who are quickly summoned by any injustice to Korea are ALL making a CHOICE not to respond this time? Yeah, ok.
And one of them, Steerails, is opposing you because...?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinship wrote:
CentralCali wrote:

No but I see you making pronouncements without any evidence.

Really, now? What pronouncements have I made absent evidence?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: