Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gyeonggi province Education Law
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YTMND wrote:
Quote:
it used to say a stipend of 450,000

It used to say? So now you signed a new contract that says 400,000? What is the problem then?

So now they're offering the OP less money. It seems to be a new trend in Korea.
_RainBoWs_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I not signed anything yet. Never said i did. Not seen the new contract, only that they said they would only be paying 400,000 now because of some law from the Education board.

Once again. I asked if anyone knew anything about this Education Law ... and if they had control over housing allowance payments for schools in Gyeonggi-do.

My current contract (which is due to expire this month) says 450,000. They are paying me only 400,000.

Whilst i appreciate feedback, i wish you would read what i have written.
newb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_RainBoWs_ wrote:
I not signed anything yet. Never said i did. Not seen the new contract, only that they said they would only be paying 400,000 now because of some law from the Education board.

Once again. I asked if anyone knew anything about this Education Law ... and if they had control over housing allowance payments for schools in Gyeonggi-do.

My current contract (which is due to expire this month) says 450,000. They are paying me only 400,000.

Whilst i appreciate feedback, i wish you would read what i have written.

If your currently contract says 450K, then that's what you're entitled and your school should fork out. They cannot change anything in the middle of the contract. Your school and/or education office is in violation of labor law. Fight for it if you like.
_RainBoWs_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

I just heard back after 2 days of emails that they will pay me what they are supposed to.

Looking forward to the future, i am still interested in knowing more about this Gyeonggi Education Law they are talking about and whether or not it exists, and if it actually effects my school.
newb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_RainBoWs_ wrote:
Yes.

I just heard back after 2 days of emails that they will pay me what they are supposed to.

Looking forward to the future, i am still interested in knowing more about this Gyeonggi Education Law they are talking about and whether or not it exists, and if it actually effects my school.

K-PS school has passed a new law of the land that number of FT's will be reduced to 0 in a few years. As well, FT's salary and benefits will be reduced each year. Razz
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPOE policy to is allow / allocate 400k per month for housing allowance for foreign staff.

There is no "law" that limits what a school can actually pay for housing or a housing allowance.

_RainBoWs_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it seems odd that there would be a law stipulating how much allowance a school could offer for accommodation. But this is Korea. It would not surprise me.

Furthermore since the School is a Private High School, why would they be forced to follow a pay scale/allowance of the education board.

That said, the school has to do certain things which seem odd to fulfil certain requirements. Thats why i cant dismiss this 'reason' (Gyeonggi Education Law) out of hand.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YTMND wrote:
Quote:
it used to say a stipend of 450,000

It used to say? So now you signed a new contract that says 400,000? What is the problem then?

Basically, they changed the rules and are expecting them to be retroactive. Sometimes, they do try to pull this crap here. Up to you whether you want to fight it or not for a couple of months. Your new contract will prob reflect differently. Don't know what they mean by law. Is it a government rule or law that officials must provide housing worth at least 400,000?
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:
_RainBoWs_ wrote:
Yes.

K-PS school has passed a new law of the land that number of FT's will be reduced to 0 in a few years. As well, FT's salary and benefits will be reduced each year. Razz

What's this now?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a private high school but they still are under the jurisdiction of the GPOE.

They still get (partial) funding on a per-student basis from the GPOE (the same that a public school would).

If your position (as a NET) is funded in whole or in part by the GPOE then they get 400k from the GPOE towards your housing and the rest has to come from their other budgeted allotments.

If your position was unfunded then someone is trying to save money at your expense.

Either way they are looking at the budgets and trying to cut corners (new budgets are due soon).

_RainBoWs_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
shostahoosier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really like this school?

I ask because rocking the boat might mean you will not get renewed in the future. Not saying you shouldn't stand up for yourself, but take it into consideration.

Good luck!
nora

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz beat me to it.

Remember, "private" does not have the same meaning as in other countries. I work at a "private" university these days, but we still get funding from the government for certain things and have to jump through their hoops for it.

To add a little more on to what was said, who pays for you? In the past, I was at a gepik school and my salary/housing/etc was funded by the city, NOT the POE. So while lots of teachers in the area lost jobs with budget cuts, I was fine as the city paid for me. You could be getting your pay from the POE, from the city, from the school directly, from a foundation - any number of places could be funding it.

I'm all for getting what is rightfully owed, but at the same time, you do have to dig a little deeper. If someone is asking "hey, why do we even bother with funding this guy," you could get axed even if other schools are hiring more. 400 is a reasonable amount - 450 would be nicer, but I wouldn't turn down 400 at all. The other side is, you could have stayed in the provided housing for free. If the 50k is going to break the bank, I probably would have stayed put. Just my two cents on that.
kinship

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
accommodation up to 450,000. If i am in my own place the school will provide an allowance of 450,000

The key is found in those two words. if your employer has decided it applies to both situations then yes, they will feel they are correct in only paying you 400,000.

It is also an either or not a both and. If the school was not let out of its lease by the owner of the previous apartment then they would have to pay rent there and would not fund your new apartment until the old lease has expired.
_RainBoWs_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. They could choose to get rid of me, but its unlikely (for this school going off past experience). No need to go into details here.

Yes, it would not surprise me if there are things going on behind the scenes that the school is obliged to do.

I asked them to show me this law, and they said when i return from vacation they will show me. Will have to wait and see.

(Kinship) The old lease had expired. They are now agreeing to pay me what was owed.

Thanks for the input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: